From: Andy Cap on
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:37:42 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" <new5pam(a)howhill.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:42:54 +0100, Ian Rawlings wrote:
>
>> You'll have to have one for each service,
>
>Sod that for a game of soldiers, I won't opt in if that is the case. Or be
>accidentally getting them crushed under the wheels of my chair when the
>tottering heap falls of the desk when I'm looking for the one I need...

I'm not sure about the 'opting in' bit. I'm being sent a Natwest one within
days, ouit of the blue. The only solution then, is to consolidate your banking
activities.

Andy

From: Martin Gregorie on
Andy Cap wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:37:42 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" <new5pam(a)howhill.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:42:54 +0100, Ian Rawlings wrote:
>>
>>> You'll have to have one for each service,
>> Sod that for a game of soldiers, I won't opt in if that is the case. Or be
>> accidentally getting them crushed under the wheels of my chair when the
>> tottering heap falls of the desk when I'm looking for the one I need...
>
> I'm not sure about the 'opting in' bit. I'm being sent a Natwest one within
> days, ouit of the blue. The only solution then, is to consolidate your banking
> activities.

Mine arrived today. It seems quite well put together and read my card
without a problem. There's probably no memory in it - at least nothing
battery backed - because the instruction sheet doesn't mention any
precautions (speed & so on) to take when you change the batteries.

Either additional functions will be implemented in future or, more
likely, its a generic smart-card reader/interface unit because it has 4
or 5 function keys on it that are not mentioned in the Natwest
instruction sheet.

Its made in China by Xiring, model XI6PA0040. Does this help anybody
tell us more about it?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Alex Butcher on
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 20:12:01 +0100, Martin Gregorie wrote:

> Its made in China by Xiring, model XI6PA0040. Does this help anybody tell
> us more about it?

I suspect something from their Xi-Sign range:
<http://www.xiring.com/en-GB/pageLibre00012b91.php>

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK. PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
- Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>

From: Joxroach on

If you really want to know how to deter card fraud and Identity theft.
Remove any liability issues from the cardholder AND the retailer (for
face to face or Online transactions) and scare the life out of
fraudsters then have a read of the following, from Marint Lewis's
Money Saving Expert Forum.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=484305

And if you use the above system to protect yourself, you may also ask,
why would I need an ID card?

From: Andy Cap on
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:28:47 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" <new5pam(a)howhill.com>
wrote:

>I've just been through that I now only have two current accounts, one
>personal one business each with a different bank, rather than the 4 or 5 I
>had previously. I guess any individual banks argument is that they offer a
>"full range of services" so you only need to bank with them. Yeah, right,
>eggs basket...

I absolutely agree with that view and refuse to get sent up that cul-de-sac.

'Keep on the move' that's my motto, but it does apparently now mean a desktop
covered with various keypads, like it ot not.

Andy