From: Anonymous on
Hello all,

trying to reduce my leccy consumption .
Current box + monitor ~=220w , 15 hrs/day -> ~3kwh / day .

So as part of the economy drive , I thought I might be able to use
my wifes old toshiba satellite pro 430cdt ( *32MB* ram, 1.2GB hdd ,
120MHz pentium) laptop (has floppy and a cdrom attached) ,
as an economical (in power terms ~= 20w) work station where I can
code , maybe compile and debug the simpler bits of my project .
In the heavier coding bits on my normal box , I have 4/5 virtual
screens with 6 xterms each and one screen for googling ... so
clearly this laptop wont get anywhere near that , any idea what
it would support ?
(currently has win98se installed) .

I have booted with tomsrtbt ok and mounted the cdrom (just to test it).

Anyway I have distros going way back , and the first CD version I have
is a slackware set from 96 which says requires 4-8MB ram, and 12MB hdd
and is kernel 2.0 . Clearly in terms of vintage and box spec, this
matches quite well, but would it be best to use this or a less vintage
version of slack, (8.0,9.0,10.2 or my latest 11.0) or something else ?

Cheers ,

Steve Houseman

--

currently :
steve at houseman demon co uk | http://www.houseman.demon.co.uk/

From: Ian on
On 2 Jul, 09:07, s...(a)jackass.woolacombe.lnx () wrote:

> Anyway I have distros going way back , and the first CD version I have
> is a slackware set from 96 which says requires 4-8MB ram, and 12MB hdd
> and is kernel 2.0 . Clearly in terms of vintage and box spec, this
> matches quite well, but would it be best to use this or a less vintage
> version of slack, (8.0,9.0,10.2 or my latest 11.0) or something else ?

I've been trying to get Damn Small Linux to work on an old Compaq
Armada 1530 (133MHz + 88MB + 2GB). It installs fine, but I can't get X
working properly. Seems to be a known problem, something to do with
the Cirrus Logic graphics.

However ... I'd suggest giving DSL a go.

Ian

From: ruffrecords on
steve(a)jackass.woolacombe.lnx wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> trying to reduce my leccy consumption .
> Current box + monitor ~=220w , 15 hrs/day -> ~3kwh / day .
>
> So as part of the economy drive , I thought I might be able to use
> my wifes old toshiba satellite pro 430cdt ( *32MB* ram, 1.2GB hdd ,
> 120MHz pentium) laptop (has floppy and a cdrom attached) ,
> as an economical (in power terms ~= 20w) work station where I can
> code , maybe compile and debug the simpler bits of my project .
> In the heavier coding bits on my normal box , I have 4/5 virtual
> screens with 6 xterms each and one screen for googling ... so
> clearly this laptop wont get anywhere near that , any idea what
> it would support ?
> (currently has win98se installed) .
>
> I have booted with tomsrtbt ok and mounted the cdrom (just to test it).
>
> Anyway I have distros going way back , and the first CD version I have
> is a slackware set from 96 which says requires 4-8MB ram, and 12MB hdd
> and is kernel 2.0 . Clearly in terms of vintage and box spec, this
> matches quite well, but would it be best to use this or a less vintage
> version of slack, (8.0,9.0,10.2 or my latest 11.0) or something else ?
>

> Cheers ,
>
> Steve Houseman

I would suggest you try Puppy Linux or Zenwalk.

Ian
From: Paul Sherwin on
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 02:06:02 -0700, Ian wrote:

> On 2 Jul, 09:07, s...(a)jackass.woolacombe.lnx () wrote:
>
>> Anyway I have distros going way back , and the first CD version I have
>> is a slackware set from 96 which says requires 4-8MB ram, and 12MB hdd
>> and is kernel 2.0 . Clearly in terms of vintage and box spec, this
>> matches quite well, but would it be best to use this or a less vintage
>> version of slack, (8.0,9.0,10.2 or my latest 11.0) or something else ?
>
> I've been trying to get Damn Small Linux to work on an old Compaq
> Armada 1530 (133MHz + 88MB + 2GB). It installs fine, but I can't get X
> working properly. Seems to be a known problem, something to do with
> the Cirrus Logic graphics.
>
> However ... I'd suggest giving DSL a go.

I agree, a hard disk install of DSL is probably your best bet on this
hardware. You'll have problems running mainstream apps such as Firefox or
OpenOffice though, whatever the distro. You should try to
upgrade the memory if at all possible.

Paul
From: Nick Craig-Wood on
steve(a)jackass.woolacombe.lnx () <steve(a)jackass.woolacombe.lnx> wrote:
> trying to reduce my leccy consumption .
> Current box + monitor ~=220w , 15 hrs/day -> ~3kwh / day .

I have exactly this problem at home also! Except it is 3 servers on
nearly all the time...

> So as part of the economy drive , I thought I might be able to use
> my wifes old toshiba satellite pro 430cdt ( *32MB* ram, 1.2GB hdd ,
> 120MHz pentium) laptop (has floppy and a cdrom attached) ,
> as an economical (in power terms ~= 20w) work station where I can
> code , maybe compile and debug the simpler bits of my project .
> In the heavier coding bits on my normal box , I have 4/5 virtual
> screens with 6 xterms each and one screen for googling ... so
> clearly this laptop wont get anywhere near that , any idea what
> it would support ?

This box has almost exactly the spec of my first linux box (from
1997!). I used to run Redhat 4.2 on it. I ran fvwm IIRC on it now
and again, but I did nearly all of my work on it at the console. It
was permanently connected to the internet and got rooted. Oh happy
days ;-)

You can only bump the RAM of your laptop to 48 MB by the look of it...

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Satellite+Pro+430CDT

I'd suggest xubuntu but that has a requirement of 64 MB of RAM
minimum.

I think I'd start with a minimal Debian then see what runs. You might
be able to run a light weight window manager (eg icewm). Word on the
street is that 2.4 kernels use less memory than 2.6 kernels.

32MB just isn't going to be enough RAM for compiling stuff at any
sensible speed, and definitely not if you want to use a modern C++
compiler.

Alternatively you could join a local freecycle group. People are
giving away PCs and laptops of 10 times better spec!

http://www.freecycle.org/

If you've got some cash to spend, then you could get one of these

http://linitx.com/viewcategory.php?catid=119&pp=116,118,119

Which start at about UKP 200 for a 533 Mhz box.

Or get yourself the cheapest of the cheap laptop (about UKP 300) - these
seem to use about 20W also if you enable all the powersaving
features.

--
Nick Craig-Wood <nick(a)craig-wood.com> -- http://www.craig-wood.com/nick