From: Alex Butcher on
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 21:31:53 +0100, Ian Rawlings wrote:

> On 2007-07-11, Alex Butcher <alex.butcher.news1006(a)assursys.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> That's the theory, but in practice, the variability of clocks can
>> sometimes cause operational difficulties.
>
> SecurID and a few others have been using time-based pseudo-random
> cryptography for many many years so the issues can be gotten around. The
> server knows what hashes you should have so when you enter one, if it's
> one that is a hash or two ahead or behind the one the server is expecting,
> the server updates its records to record the clock drift. It works very
> well, despite what you might think.

I used to work for an organisation that sold and supported SecurID. Clock
syncronization issues were probably the largest single cause of problems.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK. PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
- Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>

From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2007-07-12, Alex Butcher <alex.butcher.news1006(a)assursys.co.uk> wrote:

> I used to work for an organisation that sold and supported SecurID. Clock
> syncronization issues were probably the largest single cause of problems.

Ditto (although I didn't do support directly having moved out of that
arm thankfully), and the problems weren't difficult to overcome and
were very far from being show-stoppers.

From: Alex Butcher on
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:31:57 +0100, Ian Rawlings wrote:

> On 2007-07-12, Alex Butcher <alex.butcher.news1006(a)assursys.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I used to work for an organisation that sold and supported SecurID.
>> Clock syncronization issues were probably the largest single cause of
>> problems.
>
> Ditto (although I didn't do support directly having moved out of that arm
> thankfully), and the problems weren't difficult to overcome and were very
> far from being show-stoppers.

My point was primarily that this drives up support costs in a way that I
imagine C&P readers don't.

Best Regards,
Alex.

From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2007-07-12, Alex Butcher <alex.butcher.news1006(a)assursys.co.uk> wrote:

> My point was primarily that this drives up support costs in a way that I
> imagine C&P readers don't.

Possibly, but I reckon C&P readers will have a whole load of other
support costs, what with them being more complicated devices with
buttons, keypads, card contacts that token cards just don't have, and
of course there's the user issue of never quite figuring out which way
to put the card in, and the readers being wrecked by kids etc etc.
You and I both know what IT professionals are like when it comes to
support calls, you get some real idiots, but they're not a patch on
the idiots you get when you have to talk to the unselected masses.

From: Dave Liquorice on
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:42:54 +0100, Ian Rawlings wrote:

> You'll have to have one for each service,

Sod that for a game of soldiers, I won't opt in if that is the case. Or be
accidentally getting them crushed under the wheels of my chair when the
tottering heap falls of the desk when I'm looking for the one I need...

--
Cheers new5pam(a)howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail