From: Martin Gregorie on
Daniel James wrote:
> In article news:<33eqm4-k1e.ln1(a)zoogz.gregorie.org>, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> Sure, but why use such a short PIN in the first place? Six or eight
>> digits would be better or there really people who can remember their
>> phone number but not another, similarly sized, PIN?
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6230194.stm (apparently).

Interesting, and it sounds like as good a reason as any for using such a
short PIN.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Chris Davies on
Daniel James <wastebasket(a)nospam.aaisp.org> wrote:
> It's said that with practice a criminal can learn to read the PIN
> you're entering just by watching the movement of your wrist -- he
> doesn't need to be able to see you fingers or the keys.

Reference? (Oh, no I forgot: this is usenet... ;-)

Does this mean that my using fingers on both hands to enter my PIN helps
(me) somewhat, then? What about that I use the knuckle of one of my
fingers, because folding that finger further obscures part of the keypad?

Curious,
Chris
From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2007-07-18, Chris Davies <chris-usenet(a)roaima.co.uk> wrote:

> Does this mean that my using fingers on both hands to enter my PIN helps
> (me) somewhat, then? What about that I use the knuckle of one of my
> fingers, because folding that finger further obscures part of the keypad?

Personally I let off a smoke grenade when typing my PIN.

From: Daniel James on
In article news:<clv0n4-f54.ln1(a)news.roaima.co.uk>, Chris Davies wrote:
> Daniel James <wastebasket(a)nospam.aaisp.org> wrote:
> > It's said that with practice a criminal can learn to read the PIN
> > you're entering just by watching the movement of your wrist -- he
> > doesn't need to be able to see you fingers or the keys.
>
> Reference? (Oh, no I forgot: this is usenet... ;-)

I *think* I got that at a talk I attended, given by a fraud investigator
from the Met ... but my forgettery may be failing me on that one.

> Does this mean that my using fingers on both hands to enter my PIN helps
> (me) somewhat, then? What about that I use the knuckle of one of my
> fingers, because folding that finger further obscures part of the keypad?

I'd say it probably does ... but I'm not an expert. I tend to hold my
wallet (from which I have just removed the card, so it's in my hand anyway)
over the PIN pad as I enter the PIN -- I'm sure that helps, but I'm not
sure how much.

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: Dave Liquorice on
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:48:30 +0100, Daniel James wrote:

> It's said that with practice a criminal can learn to read the PIN you're
> entering just by watching the movement of your wrist -- he doesn't need
> to be able to see you fingers or the keys.

That is presumably why number keypads with security designed in don't have
the numbers in a fixed position. Each button is a display and the number
positions change for each use of the pad.

Now that would seriously confuse the public, I generally enter my PINs by
the pattern not the numbers. When C&P came in I had terrible trouble, I
could remember 2 pins but bung a 3rd in and one of the others had to go...

--
Cheers new5pam(a)howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail