From: Wojo on

"hkoons" <hkoons(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just a follow-up note: I got up early this morning to find that WMM with
> the
> DV-AVI setting did hang. It must have occurred after about 2hrs running;
> it
> had 5 1/2 hours to go. Not helping the situation is that I had forgotten
> shut off my MS Anitispyware program which seems to have popped up during
> the
> process to do a scan. However, this has occurred in the past without
> locking
> up the WMM process. I'll probably give it another run tonight.

The antispy software very well could have caused the problem.
If resources are used for other things it is supposed to only slow Movie
Maker down but when rendering a large project scanning software like antispy
software or virus software as well as things like screensavers do have a
tendency to lock Movie Maker up.
-Wojo

From: hkoons on

I suspect the same. I have a Direcway motem. I was careful to shut it down
but left the firewall and antivirus on as they became useless. That MS
antispyware item I never pay attention to as I haven't needed to in the past,
nor did it effect my last previous 7hr sessions trying to save the WMM
projects to my PC. I'll give it another try tonight and be sure that
EVERYTHING is shut down. Back to the 7hr issue...? Any idea why so long?
From: Wojo on
No I have no idea why it is taking so long.
Your PC specs are great you shouldn't be having any resource issues unless
you have a lot of stuff running in the background and eating up resources.

From: dickmr on
Hi guys....I read all of your posts above, and got to thinking about the
problem.
Since you put the ''13'' different clips into Movie Maker to add titles and
music for a 1.5 hour video.....meaning each one is about 7 minutes long
right? Could you just import 3 or 4 of these clips and add the music and
then save it as a rendered movie.....if you do this to all 13, you would end
up having about 4 separate movies out of Movie Maker, and you could import
all of them together into your dvd software to make a dvd. I think if you
render your movie in 20-25 minute increments (especially since they are made
in photo story) your computer will handle it much quicker.

Wojo, I found WinDvdCreator here
http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/WinDVDCreator_Profile.jsp

Check in the file setting and/or preferences to set the quality and length
of the video.
Usually 1.5 hours will be just one step down from 'superior' quality, but
most won't see too much difference. With those big high quality pictures
you are using they should present nicely even when cut down to video quality.
When I do that I save my files with PapaJohn's high definition emulation
(960x720) from Movie Maker and they do show better for me when I reduce them
to dvd quality. If you try that, the emulations are at www.papajohn.org
......click on WMV-HD....and then Introduction....part way down that page
you'll see the downloadable profiles.

Sorta long winded...but good luck with your project!

From: Wojo on
Hey dickmr

"dickmr" <dickmr(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys....I read all of your posts above, and got to thinking about the
> problem.
> Since you put the ''13'' different clips into Movie Maker to add titles
> and
> music for a 1.5 hour video.....meaning each one is about 7 minutes long
> right? Could you just import 3 or 4 of these clips and add the music and
> then save it as a rendered movie.....if you do this to all 13, you would
> end
> up having about 4 separate movies out of Movie Maker, and you could import
> all of them together into your dvd software to make a dvd. I think if
> you
> render your movie in 20-25 minute increments (especially since they are
> made
> in photo story) your computer will handle it much quicker.

Probably but a 1 1/2hr video with the computer specs hlkoons posted
shouldn't be taking THAT long to begin with unless there's something slowing
down the system

> Wojo, I found WinDvdCreator here
> http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/WinDVDCreator_Profile.jsp

ahhh, there it is. I googled for WinDVD and just kept coming up with links
to the player but I admit I didn't put too much effort into it. I downloaded
the trial so I can do a write-up on it for my website.

> Check in the file setting and/or preferences to set the quality and length
> of the video.
> Usually 1.5 hours will be just one step down from 'superior' quality, but
> most won't see too much difference. With those big high quality pictures
> you are using they should present nicely even when cut down to video
> quality.
> When I do that I save my files with PapaJohn's high definition emulation
> (960x720) from Movie Maker and they do show better for me when I reduce
> them
> to dvd quality. If you try that, the emulations are at www.papajohn.org
> .....click on WMV-HD....and then Introduction....part way down that page
> you'll see the downloadable profiles.
>
> Sorta long winded...but good luck with your project!

One of these days I am going to have to try that high-def profile.