From: hkoons on
I work with jpgs in PhotoStory3 to transfer to MM2 where I add sound tracks
and a beginning and end page. I then transfer the resultant .wmv to
InterVideo WinDVD Creator to make my DVD. I've done this numerous times in
the past with good results. However, the project I'm currently working on is
not to my satisfaction. The quality of panning movement is very jerky and
pictures not as sharp.

From reading the posts in this newgroup, I discovered this may have to do
with the fact that this is the first time I've produced a product that runs
greater than an hour, 1hr 25min. to be exact.

Question: How can I adjust the Movie Save Settings to maximize the capacity
of a 4.5GB DVD disk which should result in my best possible save to for my
finest possible DVD resolution?

Second Question: Both "Video for Local Playback (2.1 mbps NTSC)" and "High
Quality Video" options result in files 1344MB for my current project. The
"DV-AVI" option results in 19,537MB. If I were to run the DV-AVI option and
transfer than into the WinDVD (which says it accepts *.avi* file which I only
assume includes DV-AVI) do you think I can expect that program to compress as
necessary to place on the DVD? Or, should I be using other DVD writing
software; please advise.

Lastly, I've worked with two different save settings both resulting in
disappointing final products. Each time I do the final, Save to my Computer,
process it takes a little over 7hours to complete. Yes, I leave it operate
overnight. Is this usual?

My Computer components:
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80Ghz, 1.5GB ram
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
ATI Radeon 9200SE Video Card
WindowsXP Home

Thank you for your input.
From: Wojo on
I do the same things you are describing on a regular basis. Comments in line
below:

"hkoons" <hkoons(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I work with jpgs in PhotoStory3 to transfer to MM2 where I add sound tracks
> and a beginning and end page. I then transfer the resultant .wmv to
> InterVideo WinDVD Creator to make my DVD. I've done this numerous times
> in
> the past with good results. However, the project I'm currently working on
> is
> not to my satisfaction. The quality of panning movement is very jerky and
> pictures not as sharp.

Does the WMV from Photo Story play properly in your media player or are the
"jerky" movements present already? The reason I ask is because I have gotten
the jerky movement results but it is because I set the resolution too high
in PS3. If I have faster pan and zoom effects or I switch quickly from one
image to another I need to set PS3 to output to 640x480 or smaller. If I set
the program to 800x600 or higher I get the result you are describing.

> From reading the posts in this newgroup, I discovered this may have to do
> with the fact that this is the first time I've produced a product that
> runs
> greater than an hour, 1hr 25min. to be exact.

The length of the project shouldn't make any difference.

> Question: How can I adjust the Movie Save Settings to maximize the
> capacity
> of a 4.5GB DVD disk which should result in my best possible save to for my
> finest possible DVD resolution?

The best settings to use when working with video (yes it was originally
still images but it doesn't matter to WMM since it is video now) is to save
the file as a DV-AVI.

> Second Question: Both "Video for Local Playback (2.1 mbps NTSC)" and
> "High
> Quality Video" options result in files 1344MB for my current project. The
> "DV-AVI" option results in 19,537MB. If I were to run the DV-AVI option
> and
> transfer than into the WinDVD (which says it accepts *.avi* file which I
> only
> assume includes DV-AVI) do you think I can expect that program to compress
> as
> necessary to place on the DVD? Or, should I be using other DVD writing
> software; please advise.

The size of the file as it comes out of WMM is of little consequence. It is
the length of the movie you need to be concerned with. As a basic rule 1
hour of video fits properly on a DVD without loss of quality. I don't use
WinDVD but with all the DVD Authoring programs I have used, and that's quite
a few, you can adjust the programs settings to fit longer videos on a DVD.
Ulead products, for instance, allow me to adjust it to fit 3 hours on a DVD
but with a very noticeable loss to quality. If you were to adjust the
settings to allow for a 1 1/2hr video on a DVD the quality loss may not be
so noticeable.

> Lastly, I've worked with two different save settings both resulting in
> disappointing final products. Each time I do the final, Save to my
> Computer,
> process it takes a little over 7hours to complete. Yes, I leave it
> operate
> overnight. Is this usual?

I have never had a project take that long to complete. It sounds like you
may have a different issue here. Your computer seems to have plenty of
resources according to the specs you provided. I have a few questions and
with those answers we may be able to diagnose the problem.
1) What types of files are in your project (other than the WMV's from Photo
Story)?
2) How many different clips are there and are there transitions between
them?
3) When was the last time you defragmented your harddrive?
4) I already asked this one above, do the Photo Story WMV's play ok in your
media player prior to running them through Movie Maker?

--
Wojo
--------------------

From: hkoons on
Thanks for the rapid reply.

> Does the WMV from Photo Story play properly in your media player or are the

In order to accomplish my project the Photo Story part was divided up into
13 sections. When I run these parts (.wmv) the operate flawlessly. Most of
my jpgs start out about 2500kb each, shooting with a Canon 10D and ran
through Photoshop.

> The length of the project shouldn't make any difference.
I mentioned this on the basis of what I had read that the common DVDs that
we purchase only allow 1hr project without compression, causing possible
image deterioration. I'm pleased to hear that for a 1.5 hr presentation this
should not be noticable.

> The best settings to use when working with video (yes it was originally
> still images but it doesn't matter to WMM since it is video now) is to save
> the file as a DV-AVI.
Great! I'll start another shot at it this evening and tomorrow moring with
coffee I'll check my results. Expecting a nice big, big file, I'll search
deeper on the setups of WinDVD to accommodate it. If that fails I'll do some
searchin on the suggested Ulead products.

> > process it takes a little over 7hours to complete. Yes, I leave it
> > operate
> > overnight. Is this usual?

> 1) What types of files are in your project (other than the WMV's from Photo
> Story)?
> 2) How many different clips are there and are there transitions between
> them?
> 3) When was the last time you defragmented your harddrive?
> 4) I already asked this one above, do the Photo Story WMV's play ok in your
> media player prior to running them through Movie Maker?

1. Only WMV files, those 13 segments. Ah, but I did add a still image
(JPG) in the front and rear of the project as a background to title and "the
end". I use Photo Story only for the panning and 1 sec fade transition
between images.
2. The 13 wmv files from Photo Story. All transitions, or 99%, originate
from Photo Story so it should not be of concern for WMM (?).
3. I did a disk cleanup and analyze on each of my drives, defraging those
that needed it prior to the finalizing my project last night. I actually
got up at 5:30AM to check results. It was still operating, but of course
very sloooowly. At first I thought it had hung. I waited several minutes
and finally the %-completed indicator moved a notch. With relief I went back
to bed.
4. Beautifully. Something to be proud of.

While I'm on a roll...
One of my biggest gripes about PhotoStory is the fact that it doesn't have a
"save" feature, only "save as" which takes a chunk of time. That's one of
the reasons (one only) I break up my projects in many segments. That way if
something happens wrong I don't have to redo the whole project. Am I missing
something, or does everybody experience this. I have to content myself in
that the program is free, so my complaints are soft spoken.

Thanks again.

From: Wojo on

> I mentioned this on the basis of what I had read that the common DVDs that
> we purchase only allow 1hr project without compression, causing possible
> image deterioration. I'm pleased to hear that for a 1.5 hr presentation
> this
> should not be noticable.

Notice I said "should" not be noticeable. I have done a few DVD's of that
length and they turned out great but it will depend on the speed of
transitions etc... as to whether or not you will notice a quality
difference. But it will, in all likelihood, be fine.

> Great! I'll start another shot at it this evening and tomorrow moring
> with
> coffee I'll check my results. Expecting a nice big, big file, I'll search
> deeper on the setups of WinDVD to accommodate it. If that fails I'll do
> some
> searchin on the suggested Ulead products.

I am curious about your WinDVD Authoring software. I can't seem to find
mention of a DVD Authoring program called WinDVD anywhere. WinDVD player
sure that comes standard with most PC's that have a DVD drive but I can't
find what you apparently have anyplace.

>> 1) What types of files are in your project (other than the WMV's from
>> Photo
>> Story)?
>> 2) How many different clips are there and are there transitions between
>> them?
>> 3) When was the last time you defragmented your harddrive?
>> 4) I already asked this one above, do the Photo Story WMV's play ok in
>> your
>> media player prior to running them through Movie Maker?
>
> 1. Only WMV files, those 13 segments. Ah, but I did add a still image
> (JPG) in the front and rear of the project as a background to title and
> "the
> end". I use Photo Story only for the panning and 1 sec fade transition
> between images.

The JPG probably isn't causing any problems but it possibly could be. If the
issues aren't resolved it is worth converting them to BMP and trying again
to see if the results are better.

> 2. The 13 wmv files from Photo Story. All transitions, or 99%, originate
> from Photo Story so it should not be of concern for WMM (?).

No the transitions from PS3 are now within a video file and are no longer
viewed as transitions by WMM so they will not be a concern. 13 separate
clips with transitions between them is not a complex project so that
shouldn't be affecting WMM either.

> 3. I did a disk cleanup and analyze on each of my drives, defraging those
> that needed it prior to the finalizing my project last night. I actually
> got up at 5:30AM to check results. It was still operating, but of course
> very sloooowly. At first I thought it had hung. I waited several minutes
> and finally the %-completed indicator moved a notch. With relief I went
> back
> to bed.
> 4. Beautifully. Something to be proud of.
>
> While I'm on a roll...
> One of my biggest gripes about PhotoStory is the fact that it doesn't have
> "save" feature, only "save as" which takes a chunk of time. That's one of
> the reasons (one only) I break up my projects in many segments. That way
> if
> something happens wrong I don't have to redo the whole project. Am I
> missing
> something, or does everybody experience this. I have to content myself in
> that the program is free, so my complaints are soft spoken.
>
> Thanks again.

I think maybe you are missing something. When working with PS3 there is a
button at the bottom
[Save Project]
Click that regularly so your project is always saved so if you do have a
problem you won't lose your work.
--
-Wojo

Wojo's Web:
http://www.Wojos-web.co.nr

From: hkoons on
Just a follow-up note: I got up early this morning to find that WMM with the
DV-AVI setting did hang. It must have occurred after about 2hrs running; it
had 5 1/2 hours to go. Not helping the situation is that I had forgotten to
shut off my MS Anitispyware program which seems to have popped up during the
process to do a scan. However, this has occurred in the past without locking
up the WMM process. I'll probably give it another run tonight.