From: dickmr on
Hi Wojo. Yeah, I became a believer in the usefulness of that 960 x 720
profile late last year when I put together a half hour of some 12 megapixel
wedding photos into a slideshow/video. It was a lot of work and with my
arsenal of titles/effects/transitions/music it was pretty awesome. But I
kept being disappointed when I put it to dvd....so, believe me, I tried about
25 combinations (those which I figured would be good results) of pic size,
video formats, burn programs, settings, and dvd media. At the end I was able
to compare them side by side....the final winner was the 960x720 profile out
of Movie Maker from original picture size and resolution (10% added
contrast), burned to a dvd+r Sony blank, with an older Sonic DVDit program
set at 'superior quality VBR'. I only use it for 'pics' and still use
DV-AVI for video. I don't know the reason that all worked, but I do
remember being blown away by what that combination produced. I suppose its
another reason for me to re-visit Photostory again some day.... ha ha You
really should try it to see what results you get....hopefully the same as
mine, but you never know.

From: Wojo on
Hey dickmr
I'm sure my results will be just as good. We'll have to wait and see.
I downloaded the profile and it's ready to go. I just need to work out a
good set of clips to truly test it properly.
you burned with Sonic?!?!? Must have been before you discovered Movie
Factory. :-)
BTW I am also going to do a DVD with AVS Converter to see how well that
works as a authoring tool, I doubt it will even come close to replacing DVD
Workshop2 but at least I can then give it a proper review on my website.
-Wojo

From: dickmr on
ha ha, don't worry I'm still mostly using Movie Factory and am a stalwart
supporter. But sometimes I found that for certain things my other programs
perform better...but that is pretty seldom of course. I really like the Avs
Video Converter program just as much because of its wide range of
capabilities. I've made dvd's with it too....in fact I recently used it
when I converted about 28 hours of vhs tapes to dvd for a friend's family and
baby videos...wow, what a marathon project that was; but I bartered a good
trade deal!!! ha ha I used AVS VC because I could convert directly into a
dvd. Use the high quality dvd 1 hour and it will be as good as the others.
My only problem with it, is that my dlp projector/bigscreen won't play
dvd+r's that I make with it....so I tend to use Movie Factory when I want to
feel secure that it will work when I need it. Hopefully this year I can get
around to buying the Workshop program

From: hkoons on
Next report, Gentlemen.

I returned to my PC 6 AM to find that WMM had successfully completed it's
task providing my with a very good rendition of my movie.

A few comments:
dickmr: Those 13 segments aren't equally divided but divided more on
subject matter. If I were to process them through WMM as 4 sections that
would only mean that I'd have to get up through the night to close one and
start the other. Even my final project finished last night in the DV-AVI
took 7.5 hours for completion. I had shut down all processes, at least as
indicated on my task bar (Sat modem and all protective services).

Then I cranked up WinDVD (this came as a freeby with my DVD recorder a
couple of years back). Three times it crashed while I was working with the
Authoring section, setting up a menu page, etc. I finally cut my first DVD
and it was a disappointment. It displayed all the jitteriness of my original
complain, but at least this time around I got it through WMM looking good.

I did notice while working with WinDVD that there was a glitch in one of the
strips from WMM, a single, solid black interuption in the midst of a
sequence. After all I've been through with this project I couldn't conceive
of doing it all over again because of it; I simply deleted it from the rest.
That does, however, leave an interuption in the visual flow as well as the
audio.

Now that my final DVD is a disappointment I'm giving thought to starting
again at WMM, fix my boob and try out some of dickmr suggestions on different
profiles. I'll also be exploring other DVD editing software and would
welcome suggestions. Wojos mentioned Ulead and there was mention of AVS
Video Converter and Movie Maker. I have the Roxio Creator Suite package as
maybe something in there should suffice. Thoughts?

I'd like to maintain contact with you folks as I'll probably need it but not
sure if we should continue along this thread. Suggestions?

Wojos: Concerning my PS3 gripe, its "save..." at the bottom of the screne
leads me to the box to rename the project (or leave as same) and re-writes
the whole kittencabootle all over again as a save. Not save the last changed
items as what I've become accustom to seeing. Working with large photos,
etc., rewriting takes a long time. Do you still think I may be missing
something?

Thanks mucho.

From: dickmr on
Hi hkoons...glad to see you came back. Yeah, its probably best to start a
new thread sooner or later so that its more upfront and center. Wojo comes
here more than I do...i'm more of a drive by poster! ha ha One of the
reasons I suggested having smaller clips to render as a part of your movie,
is just for the reason you cited. If there is something wrong such as a
'solid black interruption', all you would have to reload is the 'project' for
that section to correct it and re-render. Don't assume that if the whole
movie took 7.5 hrs to completely render that 4 smaller ones would take 1/4 of
that time. Even with different subject matter you can establish 'breaks' in
the flow of your work and even with music, just right click and do a fade out
to get a proper interim concluding point.

Wojo and I are both pretty big fans of Ulead's Movie Factory....thats why I
sorta tweaked him in that earlier post that I actually used Sonic.... ha ha
ha ha The basic Movie Factory costs $49.95 and you can download a 'trial'
of it at www.ulead.com
Wojo's got the best one....Workshop....and I was sorta hoping he would buy
me one for my birthday....ha ha ha

AVS Video Converter is a great utility mainly for 'converting' video files
to a wide variety of possible formats. Since Movie Maker won't work with
Mpegs, and my recording device (gigapocket) records in Mpegs I convert to avi
quite often. It also
makes dvd's and contains various editing tools but I prefer to use Movie
Factory when I do an important video. AVS Video Converter also has some
cool audio tools and is just a quite handy program to have around. Its got a
'trial' also, and I think it costs $29.95 to buy.... see it at
www.avsmedia.com

Since you are using 'pictures' and not 'video' to make your final movie, you
may find it interesting and useful to save your file as 'high quality-ntsc'
or to one of the high def profiles I mentioned to see what results you
attain. As Wojo mentioned, with that high powered machine you have, it
shouldn't really be taking so long to render your movie, even if it is quite
a long individual project. I still suggest making it in smaller pieces and
putting them together when you make the dvd.....quit going to bed to get out
of your responsibilities of waiting for the pot to boil....thats usually when
I get my laundry done or go out for a looooooong ride! ha ha Good luck.