From: Dudley Hanks on

"Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message news:...

> "bugbear" <bugbear(a)trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
>> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>>> After all, someday, I'd love to be using one of
>>> the high-end cams instead of entry level ... :)
>>
>> What issues do you think a "high end cam"
>> would address for you?
>>
>> BugBear
>
> Two things in particular -- actually three:
>
> First, better and higher ISOspeeds, which would be indespensible given my
> situation.
>
> What vision I have works best in low-light environments, with a dark
> background and a contrasting subject. The reverse can work, but is not
> ideal. The better the cam can pick up low-light scenes, the more it would
> enable me to get the composition closer to how I want the final image.
> The high ISO of the Nikon D3 in particular really would help, ditto for
> the Canon 5D2...
>
> Second, larger sensor sizes would enable larger prints. And, of course,
> better lense quality would make those larger prints crisper still.
>
> Third, tougher build quality would help the cam survive the beating I put
> them through...
>
> There are other reasons, as well, but not quite as critical.
>
> Faster burst modes would help increase the number of keepers I shoot,
> especially in action situations. I'm no different than a sighted shooter
> in this respect. The more shots one can squeeze off in that heated moment
> when the puck's squirting around the net, the more likely one is to get
> just the right combination of elements.
>
> The better low-light performance would allow me to shoot in environments
> where I'd most likely be able to read enough of the cam's display to use
> it's light meter in manual mode, which would significantly add to the
> creative effects I could strive for.
>
> The better HDR performance would do a more consistent job of capturing the
> images I conceive.
>
> The more comprehensive EXIF data accompanying the images would give me
> more useable feedback about the images I've taken, which would make it
> easier for me to make future adjustments based on what does and does not
> work.
>
> etc...
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

The most important aspect of the above, from the point-of-view of
traditional photography, is that the higher ISO performance is the feature
I'd most enjoy in a top-shelf camera. The better low-light performance
would enable me to capitalize on what vision I have left, and would enable
me to shoot more conventionally.

In other situations, I would still have to develop alternative techniques.
But, such a cam would at least give me a few shoots where I would feel like
I'm just another photographer. That's a feeling I haven't had in a long
time.

Take Care,
Dudley

From: LOL! on
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:58:28 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
<dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:

>"Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message news:...
>>
>> "bugbear" <bugbear(a)trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
>>>
>>> What issues do you think a "high end cam"
>>> would address for you?
>>>
>>> BugBear
>>
>> Two things in particular -- actually three:
>>
>> First, better and higher ISOspeeds, which would be indespensible given my
>> situation.
>>
>> What vision I have works best in low-light environments, with a dark
>> background and a contrasting subject. The reverse can work, but is not
>> ideal. The better the cam can pick up low-light scenes, the more it would
>> enable me to get the composition closer to how I want the final image.
>> The high ISO of the Nikon D3 in particular really would help, ditto for
>> the Canon 5D2...
>>
>> Second, larger sensor sizes would enable larger prints. And, of course,
>> better lense quality would make those larger prints crisper still.
>>
>> Third, tougher build quality would help the cam survive the beating I put
>> them through...
>>
>> There are other reasons, as well, but not quite as critical.
>>
>> Faster burst modes would help increase the number of keepers I shoot,
>> especially in action situations. I'm no different than a sighted shooter
>> in this respect. The more shots one can squeeze off in that heated moment
>> when the puck's squirting around the net, the more likely one is to get
>> just the right combination of elements.
>>
>> The better low-light performance would allow me to shoot in environments
>> where I'd most likely be able to read enough of the cam's display to use
>> it's light meter in manual mode, which would significantly add to the
>> creative effects I could strive for.
>>
>> The better HDR performance would do a more consistent job of capturing the
>> images I conceive.
>>
>> The more comprehensive EXIF data accompanying the images would give me
>> more useable feedback about the images I've taken, which would make it
>> easier for me to make future adjustments based on what does and does not
>> work.
>>
>> etc...
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley
>>

>The most important aspect of the above, from the point-of-view of
>traditional photography, is that the higher ISO performance is the feature
>I'd most enjoy in a top-shelf camera. The better low-light performance
>would enable me to capitalize on what vision I have left, and would enable
>me to shoot more conventionally.
>
>In other situations, I would still have to develop alternative techniques.
>But, such a cam would at least give me a few shoots where I would feel like
>I'm just another photographer. That's a feeling I haven't had in a long
>time.
>
>Take Care,
>Dudley

Ah yes, the folly of everyone on these newsgroups and in real life. "If
only I had a 'PRO' camera (true definition: expensive but a totally
unnecessary jewelry to flash around to try to impress others). then I would
feel like and shoot like a PRO! Everyone around me would (wrongly) think
I'm a PRO too!"

LOL!

I think it would be great if you got one of those cameras, then you could
make all the others who feel the need to buy them finally realize what
idiots they are, when even a blind person can claim to be a "Pro" as long
as he has one of those cameras. It finally puts it all into proper
perspective, doesn't it.

LOL!

From: John Navas on
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:36:15 GMT, in <3J7Wn.7928$Z6.6276(a)edtnps82>,
"Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:

>"Kyle Abhams" <where(a)what.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 09:11:30 -0400, "David Ruether"
>> <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>But, several local photographers are fairly successful
>>>either maintaining a weekly booth at the Farmers Market for direct
>>>sales, or setting up booths at various events, like the yearly music
>>>festival, apple-harvest, chili-tasting, art-sale, etc.
>>
>> This would be his best bet. Those that felt pity for the "blind
>> photographer" sitting alongside his snapshots would buy his "art" out of
>> guilt. Making sure he is sitting there with dog and white-cane at all
>> times
>> to get that message across. Not one of his snapshots would sell on their
>> merits alone. A bit like buying a Parkinson's-afflicted scribbling from
>> someone in a wheelchair at the park who looks like he needs a meal.
>
>Ah, more company for Jane, Jeff, and John ... LOL

Must be a lonely world you live in. Pity.
From: Kyle Abhams on
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 14:36:46 -0700, John Navas <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:36:15 GMT, in <3J7Wn.7928$Z6.6276(a)edtnps82>,
>"Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>

>>"Kyle Abhams" <where(a)what.net> wrote in message

>>> This would be his best bet. Those that felt pity for the "blind
>>> photographer" sitting alongside his snapshots would buy his "art" out of
>>> guilt. Making sure he is sitting there with dog and white-cane at all
>>> times
>>> to get that message across. Not one of his snapshots would sell on their
>>> merits alone. A bit like buying a Parkinson's-afflicted scribbling from
>>> someone in a wheelchair at the park who looks like he needs a meal.
>>
>>Ah, more company for Jane, Jeff, and John ... LOL
>
>Must be a lonely world you live in. Pity.

His retinas are degenerating. The retinas are a direct extension of the
mind. (Unlike other nervous-system sensory organs.) From which direction
this degeneration started first and is propagating is anyone's guess.

From: David Ruether on

"Kyle Abhams" <where(a)what.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 09:11:30 -0400, "David Ruether"
> <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote:

>>But, several local photographers are fairly successful
>>either maintaining a weekly booth at the Farmers Market for direct
>>sales, or setting up booths at various events, like the yearly music
>>festival, apple-harvest, chili-tasting, art-sale, etc.

> This would be his best bet. Those that felt pity for the "blind
> photographer" sitting alongside his snapshots would buy his "art" out of
> guilt. Making sure he is sitting there with dog and white-cane at all times
> to get that message across. Not one of his snapshots would sell on their
> merits alone. A bit like buying a Parkinson's-afflicted scribbling from
> someone in a wheelchair at the park who looks like he needs a meal.

Hmmm.... Oh, yuh - now I remember what I was going to do!
<PLONK!>
--DR