From: John Navas on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 14:52:15 -0400, in
<i0dfcv$jie$1(a)ruby.cit.cornell.edu>, "David Ruether"
<d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote:

>"John Navas" <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>> That depends on the definition of "art". I was referring to low end
>> stuff. I'm guessing you're not. As I wrote back at the beginning,
>> "signed if you're famous; unsigned if you're not".

>Maybe we have a higher class of photographers/sellers here, but
>all sign their work, whether all pieces by all people would be considered
>"art" by all...;-) When in doubt, sign it - it shows that you have at least
>that much confidence in your own work. The buyer can sort out the
>"is it art?" end of things, and if the work is interesting/good enough to
>cause him to cough up the cash to purchase it. It's really a non-issue,
>and if in doubt, just sign it in soft pencil on the back...

I was referring to signing on the front.
I always stamp and/or sign my images on the back.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: David Ruether on

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 14:52:15 -0400, in
> <i0dfcv$jie$1(a)ruby.cit.cornell.edu>, "David Ruether"
> <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote:
>>"John Navas" <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>>> That depends on the definition of "art". I was referring to low end
>>> stuff. I'm guessing you're not. As I wrote back at the beginning,
>>> "signed if you're famous; unsigned if you're not".

>>Maybe we have a higher class of photographers/sellers here, but
>>all sign their work, whether all pieces by all people would be considered
>>"art" by all...;-) When in doubt, sign it - it shows that you have at least
>>that much confidence in your own work. The buyer can sort out the
>>"is it art?" end of things, and if the work is interesting/good enough to
>>cause him to cough up the cash to purchase it. It's really a non-issue,
>>and if in doubt, just sign it in soft pencil on the back...

> I was referring to signing on the front.
> I always stamp and/or sign my images on the back.
> --
> Best regards,
> John

Yes, that can be done, especially for commercial work - but work
intended for sale as "art" (whether or not it really is...;-), is more
properly signed on the front (which can be done at the time of sale, if
requested, if it is not done as a matter of course by the photographer),
but whatever way you want to do it (or not) is fine... ;-) This is really
not a big issue, and there is no absolute rule about it - although those
into gallery-selling do tend to sign on the front, often with the print
number in an edition, with the number available in that edition given
(but I consider this a very artificial-looking attempt to simulate the mode
used for graphics - where an edition may be printed all at once from
plates or screens, mainly for convenience or durability reasons). A
photo print can be made anytime, with it being rare that sales demand
would indicate the usefulness of making editions.
--DR

From: otter on
On Jun 27, 9:44 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
> While my pics aren't exactly masterpieces, and I've got a long way to go
> till I'm happy with what I produce, I'm getting close to "technically"
> acceptable shots.
>
> With that in mind, I'm starting to think about doing a shoot or two
> specifically with sales in mind.

Dudley, I think a reality check is in order, before you spend a lot of
time and money on a hopeless pursuit. Please don't take this as an
insult, as it is not intended to be, but your pictures are FAR from
being professional quality that someone else would purchase.

I freely acknowledge that about my own photos, too, and about 99% of
the other photos I've seen presented in newsgroups like this.

From: SneakyP on
"David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote in

> "John McWilliams" <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>> David Ruether wrote:
>>> "Kyle Abhams" <where(a)what.net> wrote in message
>
>>> Hmmm.... Oh, yuh - now I remember what I was going to do!
>>> <PLONK!>
>
>> Public plonking of our pet produces for him pure pleasure, and
>> propels him to pop into another nym.
>>
>> Best not reply - ever. --
>> John McWilliams
>
> Makes sense - thanks for the advice.
> --DR

Need to know some details to pre-emptively plonk? Just ask in email.

--
SneakyP
To email me, you know what to do.