From: Dudley Hanks on
While my pics aren't exactly masterpieces, and I've got a long way to go
till I'm happy with what I produce, I'm getting close to "technically"
acceptable shots.

With that in mind, I'm starting to think about doing a shoot or two
specifically with sales in mind.

Anybody out there with insight as to the most effective way to market / sell
semi-artistic prints, either locally or over the net...

All info appreciated.

Take Care,
Dudley

--
"The balance between staying positive and being realistic lies somewhere in
the area of remaining hopeful." Irwin Barker

From: David Ruether on

"Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message

> While my pics aren't exactly masterpieces, and I've got a long way to go till I'm happy with what I produce, I'm getting close to
> "technically" acceptable shots.
>
> With that in mind, I'm starting to think about doing a shoot or two specifically with sales in mind.
>
> Anybody out there with insight as to the most effective way to market / sell semi-artistic prints, either locally or over the
> net...
>
> All info appreciated.
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

I don't wish to discourage you, but here is my discouraging experience...
I've had about 50 museum/gallery shows (mostly museum shows, where
sales are not intended, unlike with galleries), with no sales *directly*
from any of the shows - but some later purchases by museums for their
collections. I've had articles written about my work, with no resulting
sales from these. I had a book of my photographs published, with no
sales resulting. (Hey, you, too can get a used copy at these sellers:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1077038962&tab=1&searchurl=n%3D100200001%26vci%3D33956
http://www.abaa.org/books/263381396.html
http://www.jhbooks.com/details.php?record=104827&URLPAIR=%2F%2Fwww.jhbooks.com%2FsearchResults.php%3Faction%
3Drowse%26searchString%3D251%26kwconj%3Dand%26category_id%3D251%26orderBy%3Dauthor%26searchType%3Dauthor%26recordsLength%3D25%26want_id%3D0%26store_id%3D0%26browseLetter%3DQ
http://www.riverrunbookshop.com/cgi-bin/rrbooks/20559.html
http://www.bibliopolis.com/main/books/rrbooks_20559.html
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=i%3Astripbooks%2Cp_27%3ADavid%20Ruether&field-author=David%20Ruether&page=1
and at many other fine retail used book sellers...;-) I also have some
of my photos on my web page (and have had for years) with info on
how to contact me for purchases (and no purchases). I suspect that
some of this was due to my giving up showing a long time ago, and
when I did, photography was not yet considered "art" (more like
"basket weaving" as one art professor at Cornell was reputed to
have said...;-) But, several local photographers are fairly successful
either maintaining a weekly booth at the Farmers Market for direct
sales, or setting up booths at various events, like the yearly music
festival, apple-harvest, chili-tasting, art-sale, etc. This is possibly the
best way for you to sell photos (with the added "hook" that they are
made by a nearly blind photographer...). BTW, the photos sell best
mounted on frame-ready suitably-sized mattes, usually wrapped in
clear thin plastic wrap for protection while people flip through them
in a "V"-shaped bin or when they are hung on the walls of a booth.
Do not underprice your photos compared with others in sales, but
instead compete in quality/interest. Undercutting others' prices just
results in "grumpiness" toward you instead of goodwill, and nets you
less when you find your market...
--David Ruether
www.donferrario.com/ruether
d_ruether....@....hotmail.com

From: Dudley Hanks on

"David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> have said...;-) But, several local photographers are fairly successful
> either maintaining a weekly booth at the Farmers Market for direct
> sales, or setting up booths at various events, like the yearly music
> festival, apple-harvest, chili-tasting, art-sale, etc. This is possibly
> the
> best way for you to sell photos (with the added "hook" that they are
> made by a nearly blind photographer...). BTW, the photos sell best
> mounted on frame-ready suitably-sized mattes, usually wrapped in
> clear thin plastic wrap for protection while people flip through them
> in a "V"-shaped bin or when they are hung on the walls of a booth.
> Do not underprice your photos compared with others in sales, but
> instead compete in quality/interest. Undercutting others' prices just
> results in "grumpiness" toward you instead of goodwill, and nets you

Thanks, David, I appreciate the info, and I'll check out your books as well.

I'm under no illusions as to making a bundle with pics, don't even intend to
play up the blind photog angle, just want to take advantage of any interest
there might be out there. After all, someday, I'd love to be using one of
the high-end cams instead of entry level ... :)

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Dudley Hanks on

> [...]
>> clear thin plastic wrap for protection while people flip through them
>> in a "V"-shaped bin or when they are hung on the walls of a booth.
>> Do not underprice your photos compared with others in sales, but
>> instead compete in quality/interest. Undercutting others' prices just
>> results in "grumpiness" toward you instead of goodwill, and nets you
>> less when you find your market...
>> --David Ruether
>> www.donferrario.com/ruether
>> d_ruether....@....hotmail.com
>>

> Thanks, David, I appreciate the info, and I'll check out your books as
> well.
>
> I'm under no illusions as to making a bundle with pics, don't even intend
> to play up the blind photog angle, just want to take advantage of any
> interest there might be out there. After all, someday, I'd love to be
> using one of the high-end cams instead of entry level ... :)

Just curious, do you think pics sell better signed or unsigned?

Take Care,
Dudley

From: bugbear on
Dudley Hanks wrote:
> After all, someday, I'd love to be using one of
> the high-end cams instead of entry level ... :)

What issues do you think a "high end cam"
would address for you?

BugBear