From: John Navas on
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 09:45:18 -0700, in
<lfke36l7jco5lf6465n0td526gf5670e5r(a)4ax.com>, John Navas

<http://www.imprint.co.uk/pdf/Introduction.pdf>
From: -hh on
James Nagler <jnag...(a)spamproofed.net> wrote:
> -hh <recscuba_goo...(a)huntzinger.com> wrote:
> >
> >One could argue that these are strictly scientific / technical
> >images ... however, in looking at comparable works that are now
> >considered to be Artful as well as informative, we find Audubon's:
>
> >http://www.audubon.org/bird/BoA/images/originals/00344p1.gif
>
> >Note the use again of white backgrounds.
>
> >Similarly, while some of Audubon's images illustrate spread wings and
> >the like, the technology limitations of the day were such that John
> >Audubon often worked with freshly killed birds as his models, so these
> >illustrations were static representations of what he *believed* he was
> >observing in living, moving specimens.  Zuckerman's approach simply
> >applies the works of  "Doc" Harold "Papa Flash" Edgerton to eliminate
> >the human-based estimation and give us a blink of actual reality.
> >Just as Edgerton's works did, such as his "Making Applesauce at MIT":
>
> >http://listart.mit.edu/files/edgerton.jpg
>
> Discarding that "human based estimation" is an error of maximum
> proportions, an idea suggested by someone completely ignorant to the
> purpose of the technical illustration.

On the contrary: the question of if it is "right" or "wrong" depends
significantly on the reason why you're doing what you're doing. For
example, Audubon's method lacks the ability to accurately determine
certain non-static factors, such as velocity.

> You need to learn the difference between technical illustrations and
> photography.

My apologies, but please understand that even after reading your post
through multiple times, it is my impression is that you're taking an
extremely narrow view on the potential scientific/technical value of
these photos -and- that you seem to believe that these photos were
exclusively intended to be technically only.

Please note that despite your defensiveness, I never claimed that this
style of photography was going to replace technical illustration. All
I said was that technical illustration (and in particular, its form)
is not precluded from also being aesthetically "pretty".

> There's a reason that technical drawing is still, and always will be,
> of more importance to the researcher than photography ever will be.

"Never say never" :-) For the very reason that we identify the two as
distinct means also that they are two different tools and as such, the
one can never completely usurp the other. Similarly, this also means
that claims of hierarchy are invariably situationally dependent and
never absolutist.

> One of the first things you will learn in any course about biology or
> microbiology is how to do (or at least comprehend why it is important) a
> technical illustration of what you are observing. The technical illustrator
> intentionally highlights or makes more apparent those features of the
> subject that delineate its identity or specialization apart from all
> similar subjects based on human perceptions.

Yes, but Biology is merely but one scientific discipline.

While the basic principles for technical illustration and
documentation follow common basic principles (as you mention), the
techniques and standards followed do vary - significantly at times -
between different disciplines. The criteria for the degree to which
the technical illustrator is free take liberty varies, depending upon
the application.

> Features which are often so subtle that they are not adequately
> represented in any photograph of the same subject.

And yet, in some disciplines the reverse occurs with too much
regularity to be so simplistically disregarded.

Because technical illustrations invariably center around a certain
perspective and understanding at the time of its creation, as soon as
a new & different question is raised, said technical illustration may
very well become obsolete overnight. The same can also true of a
technical photograph, of course, but they tend to be a bit more
salvageable.

> This CANNOT be done in a photograph because it wholly depends
> on the interpretation of the observer and what human values and knowledge
> about the subject that needs to be applied to that illustration.

Actually, its not necessarily impossible (I've done it). In simple
form, that element of 'subject knowledge' merely needs to be applied
before the documenting photograph is taken.

For example, a technique very commonly used by both Hollywood & Human
Researchers with equipment such as the Vicon brand of motion capture
cameras is to install reference targets at each major body joint of
interest on the test subject. There's similar techniques for when
using a Vision Research high speed camera for analysis.

> Photography will never, and should never, replace the technical
> illustrator. They are two completely different methods for two completely
> different worlds and purposes of observation and understanding.

I didn't say that it can, or should, so I can agree (at least
partially).

A craftsman's toolbox always contains more than just one tool, and
photography is merely yet another tool in the toolbox. Like all the
tools in that toolbox, it is only for application when it is
appropriate as the right tool for the task at hand. When the task
changes, change tools.

> These photographs are an absurd mix of both worlds that fail to be of any
> value in either world. A year's worth of images for the circular file
> cabinet.

Disagree, for even if the intent of these photos was far more artistic
than technical, because of how they were taken, I can see some
technical value in them with which to pick off key details to advance
knowledge in certain study areas.

For example, consider the fact that an Audubon-style technical
illustration is utterly incapable of providing a researcher with the
exact wingfoil shape used by an avian in a particular segment of its
flight, and then look again at these illustrations. Now decide for
yourself if you could get that information without ever "resorting" to
photography at any point.

And yet (while getting back to the OP), I personally also find the
photos in question to also be aesthetically pleasing, so if the
original intent had been art, I'd say that he was at least successful
for my personal tastes. Granted, it is undoubtedly a different style,
but being different doesn't automatically make it wrong...if that was
the case, then we would have never gotten to Impressionism, or
Pointillism, or Abstract, or many other recognized art forms.

-hh
From: Val Hallah on
On Jul 10, 12:23 pm, -hh <recscuba_goo...(a)huntzinger.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> For example, consider the fact that an Audubon-style technical
> illustration is utterly incapable of providing a researcher with the
> exact wingfoil shape used by an avian in a particular segment of its
> flight, and then look again at these illustrations.  Now decide for
> yourself if you could get that information without ever "resorting" to
> photography at any point.
>
> And yet (while getting back to the OP), I personally also find the
> photos in question to also be aesthetically pleasing, so if the
> original intent had been art, I'd say that he was at least successful
> for my personal tastes.  Granted, it is undoubtedly a different style,
> but being different doesn't automatically make it wrong...if that was
> the case, then we would have never gotten to Impressionism, or
> Pointillism, or Abstract, or many other recognized art forms.

well said......Nagler has been duly spanked
From: George Kerby on

On 7/10/10 7:30 AM, in article
e9c24f03-2a8f-4c83-b479-abaa5f0f3182(a)d16g2000yqb.googlegroups.com, "Val
Hallah" <michaelnewport(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> illustration is utterly incapable of providing a researcher with the
>> exact wingfoil shape used by an avian in a particular segment of its
>> flight, and then look again at these illustrations. �Now decide for
>> yourself if you could get that information without ever "resorting" to
>> photography at any point.
>>
>> And yet (while getting back to the OP), I personally also find the
>> photos in question to also be aesthetically pleasing, so if the
>> original intent had been art, I'd say that he was at least successful
>> for my personal tastes. �Granted, it is undoubtedly a different style,
>> but being different doesn't automatically make it wrong...if that was
>> the case, then we would have never gotten to Impressionism, or
>> Pointillism, or Abstract, or many other recognized art forms.
>>
>> -hh
>
> well said......Nagler has been duly spanked

Spanking the Resident Troll is no big deal...

From: -hh on
James Nagler <jnag...(a)spamproofed.net> wrote:

> I have plenty of identification guides with technical illustrations that
> show the wing-foil shape of bird species in various stages of their
> behaviors.

The typical "top view" illustrates the sweep angle, mostly.
Unfortunately, that's not the wingfoil shape I was referring to: I
was referring to the chord and cross-sectional camber which are
significant contributors to lift & drag.

But I'm willing to take a look at what you claim.

Please provide the titles, author's names and ISBNs. I'll see if any
are already within my identification collection.

-hh