From: James Nagler on
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 14:23:14 -0700 (PDT), -hh
<recscuba_google(a)huntzinger.com> wrote:

>James Nagler <jnag...(a)spamproofed.net> wrote:
>>
>> I have plenty of identification guides with technical illustrations that
>> show the wing-foil shape of bird species in various stages of their
>> behaviors.
>
>The typical "top view" illustrates the sweep angle, mostly.
>Unfortunately, that's not the wingfoil shape I was referring to: I
>was referring to the chord and cross-sectional camber which are
>significant contributors to lift & drag.

I'm not talking about any "top view" illustration. The silhouettes that you
speak of are usually always published for Falconiformes, Anseriformes, and
Charadriiformes. The cross-sectional angle at which birds hold their wings
while gliding or flapping, even their "dipping" flight patterns, are used
for identification aids in many identification guides. It sounds more and
more like you don't have any identification guides at all nor even bothered
to read any at all during your life. Nearly all of them include this
information about species where it becomes relevant to help differentiate
them from similar species.

To top it off you can't tell the cross-sectional chord shape of any birds
wings from the painfully sterile photographs that you are trying to find
the least bit of value in.

>But I'm willing to take a look at what you claim.

No you're not, you're just trying to waste my time. You just proved that.
I.e. TROLL.

>Please provide the titles, author's names and ISBNs. I'll see if any
>are already within my identification collection.

You don't own ANY. Let me guess, you have a tattered copy of some child's
"The BLUE Book of Birds of America" somewhere. But lost your "Red", "Green"
and "Yellow" volumes from the series.

From: -hh on
James Nagler <jnag...(a)spamproofed.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 14:23:14 -0700 (PDT), -hh
>
> <recscuba_goo...(a)huntzinger.com> wrote:
> >James Nagler <jnag...(a)spamproofed.net> wrote:
>
> >> I have plenty of identification guides with technical illustrations that
> >> show the wing-foil shape of bird species in various stages of their
> >> behaviors.
>
> >The typical "top view" illustrates the sweep angle, mostly.
> >Unfortunately, that's not the wingfoil shape I was referring to:  I
> >was referring to the chord and cross-sectional camber which are
> >significant contributors to lift & drag.
>
> I'm not talking about any "top view" illustration. The silhouettes that you
> speak of are usually always published for Falconiformes, Anseriformes, and
> Charadriiformes. The cross-sectional angle at which birds hold their wings
> while gliding or flapping, even their "dipping" flight patterns, are used
> for identification aids in many identification guides.

Yes, these are the 'sweep angles' I was referring to ... and which I
had specifically excluded.

<http://www.huntzinger.com/photo/2008/tanzania/YA_raptor_ID.jpg>

> To top it off you can't tell the cross-sectional chord shape of any birds
> wings from the painfully sterile photographs that you are trying to find
> the least bit of value in.

Their form is faithful to how this research *was* done.

> >But I'm willing to take a look at what you claim.
>
> No you're not, you're just trying to waste my time.

Simply providing the titles, author's names and ISBNs (as was
requested) would have wasted far less of your time, which you've
instead chosen to squander with your pontificating.

-hh