From: Bruce Hagen on
Compacting messages in the background was *removed* with SP2. It caused
problems because if compacting was going on, and you received an e-mail
while this was happening, OE could be destroyed, especially saved messages.

With SP2, you are prompted to compact after 100 closings. If you let it do
its thing, and don't touch anything until it's finished, there shouldn't be
any problems, because OE is closed when you get the prompt, so an arriving
e-mail is moot.

This refers to the old method of background compacting.
Why compacting in the background is not recommended:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm#auto

Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - (IE/OE)
~IB-CA~