From: Glenn on
Every time I exit out of OE, it wants to compress files. I have lots of
room and don't want it to.

It has an option to click telling it to not ask me again and I click it. It
still does it on the next exit. Anyway to tell it to mind it's one
business??

Glenn

From: Bruce Hagen on
Compacting, not compressing, your folders periodically is a must to keep OE
functioning well and at some point, you may lose all your saved messages if
you don't.

With SP2, automatic background compacting was removed due to
problems it caused. Now you will get a prompt to compact after 100
OE closings, which you should do. See this for more information:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact

And this is a very good option:

Steve Cochran has added a button in his new version of OE Tool
that will not only Compact All Folders, but at the same time,
resets the "Compact Check Count" to zero whenever you compact
manually. You will see the prompt again if you do not compact
before 100 closings.

http://www.oehelp.com/OETool/

It is still advised to check Work Offline before you compact.

You removed the prompt, but not the action which can't be removed. If you
want to replace the Compact Prompt:

Go to: Start>Run>Regedit>Enter and follow this path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
Express\5.0\Don't Show Dialogs.

In the right pane right click on the appropriate entry and choose Delete.

Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - (IE/OE)
~IB-CA~

From: Glenn on
OK, thanks, What I understand is that it is just getting rid of the
deadwood and not messing with my saved messages. IE: cleaning up pointers.

Why the heck didn't they say so in the first place and you guys would get a
lot less questions.

Course if you want a really screwed up OS, I have been looking at linux and
said no way. Now they call me a wintroll. {G}

Glenn

From: Bruce Hagen on
If they made it easy, we would be out of our purely volunteer *jobs*. It's
similar to Defragging. Just gets rid of wasted space and speeds things up.

From: Glenn on

> If they made it easy, we would be out of our purely volunteer *jobs*. It's
> similar to Defragging. Just gets rid of wasted space and speeds things up.
> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
> ~IB-CA~
>>>
>>> With SP2, automatic background compacting was removed due to
>>> problems it caused. Now you will get a prompt to compact after 100
>>> OE closings, which you should do. See this for more information:
>>> http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact

Rereading the above paragraph it dawned on me that the reason I didn't want
the compacting was because after sp2, things screwed up with it. I didn't
realize there had been a patch to fix it.

Hmmm, maybe linux isn't so bad. {G}

Glenn