From: Nomen Nescio on
first a number of ISPs have dropped all binaries groups
due to pressure from teh record industry, who woke up to
he fact that punters were posting music there for 14
years. Ironically this is now an insignicant fraction
of all piracy.
Now Bill Gates & Co. is going to shut down all
microsoft.public newsgroups.

From: z1 on
Nomen Nescio wrote:
> first a number of ISPs have dropped all binaries groups
> due to pressure from teh record industry, who woke up to
> he fact that punters were posting music there for 14
> years. Ironically this is now an insignicant fraction
> of all piracy.
> Now Bill Gates & Co. is going to shut down all
> microsoft.public newsgroups.

firstly, Bill Gates is not running MS for a long while now.

secondly, NNTP is old hat and getting outdated - maybe you would like
gopher back as well.

thirdly, I doubt there is a conspiracy - NNTP is probably a cost burden
ISPs may not wish to carry anymore and if it's usage is lessening then
it's obvious isn't it?
From: terryc on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 23:05:23 +1000, z1 wrote:

> thirdly, I doubt there is a conspiracy - NNTP is probably a cost burden
> ISPs may not wish to carry anymore and if it's usage is lessening then
> it's obvious isn't it?

Basically that is it, coupled with the usual incompetent system admins
they tend to employ. Over a decade ago, it was some incredible amount of
bandwidth was needed just to keep the feed coming, so few could afford to
provide it.

The smart ones just learnt how to pick and choose which newsgroup they
kept and most just simply dropped binaries as a starter.

From: Rod Speed on
Nomen Nescio wrote:

> first a number of ISPs have dropped all binaries
> groups due to pressure from teh record industry,

Nope, because binary groups are a complete waste of bandwidth.

> who woke up to he fact that punters were posting music there for
> 14 years. Ironically this is now an insignicant fraction of all piracy.

> Now Bill Gates & Co. is going to shut down all microsoft.public newsgroups.

Because hardly anyone knows anything about usenet.

From: z1 on
Rod Speed wrote:
> Nomen Nescio wrote:
>
>> first a number of ISPs have dropped all binaries
>> groups due to pressure from teh record industry,
>
> Nope, because binary groups are a complete waste of bandwidth.
>
>> who woke up to he fact that punters were posting music there for
>> 14 years. Ironically this is now an insignicant fraction of all piracy.
>
>> Now Bill Gates & Co. is going to shut down all microsoft.public newsgroups.
>
> Because hardly anyone knows anything about usenet.

and Blogs played their part as well Rod.
it's a change in modes of communication.
I've come across FBers who have never heard of NNTP