From: Caryl on
Q2008 Deluxe R9
Windows XP

In February 2010 I changed the name of an account from Bear Stearns to
JP Morgan Securities because of a merger. The prices of the securities
in it were updated by one step update but I had to enter transactions
manually because Bear Stearns had never set it up so it could be
activated. The earliest transactions in this account were in 2003.

JP Morgan Securities can now be activated to download transactions.
With their help I activated the account by creating a second Quicken
account. The downloaded transactions in this account start in
September 2009. Therefore, I would like to transfer all the
transactions from the first account from 2003 to 2009 to the second
account, but I do not know how to do this. I would prefer to transfer
multiple transactions at once, but I cannot even transfer a single
transaction. I can copy a transaction from the first account, but when
I try to paste it into the second account the paste option is gray.

Is it possible to copy and paste transactions from one brokerage
account to another. And, if so, can I do it with multiple
transactions?

Thank you.
Caryl
From: John Pollard on

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: John Pollard on
Caryl wrote:
> Q2008 Deluxe R9
> Windows XP
>
> In February 2010 I changed the name of an account from Bear Stearns to
> JP Morgan Securities because of a merger. The prices of the securities
> in it were updated by one step update but I had to enter transactions
> manually because Bear Stearns had never set it up so it could be
> activated. The earliest transactions in this account were in 2003.
>
> JP Morgan Securities can now be activated to download transactions.
> With their help I activated the account by creating a second Quicken
> account. The downloaded transactions in this account start in
> September 2009. Therefore, I would like to transfer all the
> transactions from the first account from 2003 to 2009 to the second
> account, but I do not know how to do this. I would prefer to transfer
> multiple transactions at once, but I cannot even transfer a single
> transaction. I can copy a transaction from the first account, but when
> I try to paste it into the second account the paste option is gray.
>
> Is it possible to copy and paste transactions from one brokerage
> account to another. And, if so, can I do it with multiple
> transactions?

It's not clear why you needed to create a new Quicken account for JP
Morgan. I would have thought you could just have deactivated the existing
account for download (and probably cleared fields like the financial
institution name, account number, etc.), then pointed the download from JP
Morgan to the old ("existing Quicken") account. But, assuming the die is
cast ....

You can cut, or copy, then paste, from one investment account to another
.... but only one transaction at a time. [I have no problem doing this in
Q2008 or Q2010.]

The only way to "move" multiple investment account transactions from one
Quicken investment account to another investment account is to export the
"from" account to a QIF file, then (assuming your Quicken version is later
than Q2004) follow the instructions in the post below to import that QIF
file into the Quicken "to" account (then delete the old Quicken account).

https://qlc.intuit.com/post/show_post_full_view/dQMNaWtX4r3OK1acfArQA8

But I don't see why you need the transactions from the old account in the
new account. Why won't just the holdings be sufficient?

You can "transfer" your holdings from one Quicken to another, using the
Quicken "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" pseudo-transaction. It will
"Remove" the shares from the old account and "Add" the shares (one Add
Shares transaction for each "lot" transferred) to the new account ...
preserving your cost basis in the process.

From: Caryl on
John,

Thank you very much for your valuable advice. I would have gotten back
to you sooner but I was on the phone for two days with different
offices and different people at J.P. Morgan, trying to get help. We
have finally solved the problem.

> It's not clear why you needed to create a new Quicken account for JP
> Morgan.  I would have thought you could just have deactivated the existing
> account for download (and probably cleared fields like the financial
> institution name, account number, etc.), then pointed the download from JP
> Morgan to the old ("existing Quicken") account.  But, assuming the die is
> cast ....

Creating a new Quicken account was a mistake made by the very first
customer rep who helped me several days ago. At that time I did not
know enough about what was happening in order to question it. I
subsequently tried to fix it and when the person I next spoke to at
J.P. Morgan was not able to help me activate my original existing
account I thought the best way to handle it would be by copying and
pasting. But after receiving your advice I called again and finally
found someone who was able to help me. I deleted the new Quicken
account and activated the old existing one. But activating it took a
phone conversation over two days as J.P. Morgan (at least for their
Bear Stearns division) does not use their normal customer login ID and
password for Quicken. It took the rep a while to figure that out.

> You can cut, or copy, then paste, from one investment account to another
> ... but only one transaction at a time.  [I have no problem doing this in
> Q2008 or Q2010.]

I did have a problem trying this but, of course, I no longer need to
do it so will not worry about it.

> But I don't see why you need the transactions from the old account in the
> new account.  Why won't just the holdings be sufficient?

I suppose that the holdings would be sufficient, but since we do a lot
of trading, it is just easier for me to have all the actual
transactions for each brokerage account in one place on the
transactions page for each of the accounts.

> You can "transfer" your holdings from one Quicken to another, using the
> Quicken "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" pseudo-transaction.  It will
> "Remove" the shares from the old account and "Add" the shares (one Add
> Shares transaction for each "lot" transferred) to the new account ...
> preserving your cost basis in the process.

I have done this in the past when I have transferred shares from one
brokerage firm to another, but although it does preserve the cost
basis, the date in the new account is the date of the transfer, not
the date of the transaction.

Caryl

From: John Pollard on
Caryl wrote:
> John wrote

>> You can "transfer" your holdings from one Quicken to another, using
>> the Quicken "Shares Transferred Between Accounts"
>> pseudo-transaction. It will "Remove" the shares from the old account
>> and "Add" the shares (one Add Shares transaction for each "lot"
>> transferred) to the new account ... preserving your cost basis in
>> the process.

> I have done this in the past when I have transferred shares from one
> brokerage firm to another, but although it does preserve the cost
> basis, the date in the new account is the date of the transfer, not
> the date of the transaction.

Yes, Quicken gives the Add Shares transaction a "transaction date" equal
to the date of the transfer. But it gives the Add Shares transaction a
"Date Acquired" the same as the original (transferred) lot was acquired in
the "from" account. Usually both dates are just what one would want.