From: Keld Simonsen on
On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 09:24:34AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

> I'm happy to naswer questions about Postfix in the limited time that
> I have. If you need custom work on other applications you learn to
> do it yourself, or you find someone else.

That is certainly an understandable position, and I am then experimenting with
changes to majordomo resend, but no success nor catastrophic failures yet.
There is a variable bounce_mailer in the maojordomo resend script,
where I added -XV to someting which looks like /usr/lib/sendmail - but
it did not work. I will report if I get it to work.

Anyway, Wietse, I would be happy if you (or others) could help me with the following:

For postfix proper, does postfix invoke the postfix sendmail command somewhere
in the process as an MTA to deliver a mail, - for aliases expansion?
I would have thought that this was governed by postfix/master.cf .
That is postfix would receive a message on port 25 and then forward it to some queue
for deliverance. I would then think I could employ postfix sendmail -XV to generate
bounce mails with the recipients address in the bounce field somewhere.

Best regards
keld

From: Wietse Venema on
Keld Simonsen:
> For postfix proper, does postfix invoke the postfix sendmail command somewhere
> in the process as an MTA to deliver a mail, - for aliases expansion?

The Postfix sendmail command RECEIVES mail INTO Postfix.
The Postfix sendmail command is not used to DELIVER mail.

Wietse

From: Keld Simonsen on
On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 06:35:04PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Keld Simonsen:
> > For postfix proper, does postfix invoke the postfix sendmail command somewhere
> > in the process as an MTA to deliver a mail, - for aliases expansion?
>
> The Postfix sendmail command RECEIVES mail INTO Postfix.
> The Postfix sendmail command is not used to DELIVER mail.

OK, What can you recommend to me to have postfix do VERP
for a recipient listed in an alias file, and where this recipient
is specified via an :include: statement?

Best regards
keld

From: Wietse Venema on
Keld Simonsen:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 06:35:04PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
> > Keld Simonsen:
> > > For postfix proper, does postfix invoke the postfix sendmail command somewhere
> > > in the process as an MTA to deliver a mail, - for aliases expansion?
> >
> > The Postfix sendmail command RECEIVES mail INTO Postfix.
> > The Postfix sendmail command is not used to DELIVER mail.
>
> OK, What can you recommend to me to have postfix do VERP
> for a recipient listed in an alias file, and where this recipient
> is specified via an :include: statement?

You invoke "sendmail -XV ..." as per the instructions from Majordomo.

Postfix VERP support works for remote and local recipients
whether they are mailboxes or aliases.

Wietse

From: Keld Simonsen on
On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 08:56:49AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Keld Simonsen:
> [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
> > On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 06:35:04PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
> > > Keld Simonsen:
> > >
> > > The Postfix sendmail command RECEIVES mail INTO Postfix.
> > > The Postfix sendmail command is not used to DELIVER mail.
> >
> > OK, What can you recommend to me to have postfix do VERP
> > for a recipient listed in an alias file, and where this recipient
> > is specified via an :include: statement?
>
> You invoke "sendmail -XV ..." as per the instructions from Majordomo.
>
> Postfix VERP support works for remote and local recipients
> whether they are mailboxes or aliases.

I am not using majordomo here, only postfix.

So should I then have a sendmail -XV included in the alias file?
I do not do that for majordomo.
Or should I so something in master.cf with the SMPT handler or some such?

Thanks for all your answers.

best regards
keld