From: Wietse Venema on

Then, use "sendmail -XV ..." to submit the mail, as described in VERP_README.

VERP_README does not tell you to use "sendmail -XV ..." in the aliases
file, so don't do that.

Wietse

From: Keld Simonsen on
On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 03:22:59PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

> Then, use "sendmail -XV ..." to submit the mail, as described in VERP_README.

Where should I set this up, in which configuration file?

Best regards
Keld

From: Wietse Venema on
Keld Simonsen:

> > Then, use "sendmail -XV ..." to submit the mail, as described in VERP_README.
>
> Where should I set this up, in which configuration file?

You configure the program that invokes the Postfix sendmail command.
That program is not part of Postfix.

Perhaps surprisingly, the configuration of non-Postix programs is
not covered by Postfix support, warrantee or documentation.

Wietse

From: Keld Simonsen on
On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 04:19:18PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Keld Simonsen:

> > > Then, use "sendmail -XV ..." to submit the mail, as described in VERP_README.
> >
> > Where should I set this up, in which configuration file?
>
> You configure the program that invokes the Postfix sendmail command.
> That program is not part of Postfix.
>
> Perhaps surprisingly, the configuration of non-Postix programs is
> not covered by Postfix support, warrantee or documentation.

As said before, in this case I only use postfix programs. I do not use any external programs.

What is happening is that the postfix server receives the message on port 25, via ESMTP,
then delivers it via the the alias file to a list of recipients, recorded in the
file /some/file/in/the/filesystem, which is included via a line in /etc/postfix/aliases :

listname: :include: /some/file/in/the/filesystem

Best regards
keld

From: Wietse Venema on
Keld Simonsen:
> What is happening is that the postfix server receives the message
> on port 25, via ESMTP, then delivers it via the the alias file to
> a list of recipients, recorded in the file /some/file/in/the/filesystem,
> which is included via a line in /etc/postfix/aliases :

For submission with SMTP, the VERP_README document has different
instructions (send "MAIL FROM:<senderaddress> XVERP=+="). If it is
not possible to configure the non-Postfix SMTP client this way,
then the options are:

1) Use a "simple" content filter that invokes the Postfix sendmail
command with the -XV option. This filter copies the message content
without modification. See also the FILTER_README file.

/etc/postfix/master.cf:
smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
-o content_filter=filter:
filter unix - n n - - pipe
user=nobody argv=/some/where/filter -f ${sender} ${recipient}

/some/where/filter:
#!/bin/sh
# Usage: /some/where/filter -f sender recipient..
/usr/sbin/sendmail -XV "$@"

Don't forget to "chmod a+rx /some/where/filter".

2) Use an SMTP-based content filter (per FILTER_README or
SMTPD_PROXY_README instructions) that modifies the MAIL FROM
command by appending the "VERP=+=" parameter. This filter copies
the message without content modification.

3) With Postfix 2.7 or later, use the smtpd_command_filter feature
to modify incoming "MAIL FROM" commands and append the "VERP=+="
parameter.

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
smtpd_authorized_verp_clients = 1.2.3.4
smtpd_command_filter = pcre:/etc/postfix/command_filter.pcre

/etc/postfix/command_filter.pcre
/^MAIL\s+FROM:(listsender.*)/ MAIL FROM:$1 VERP=+=

Wietse