From: Noel Jones on
On 6/25/2010 9:40 AM, Keld Simonsen wrote:
> I am not using majordomo here, only postfix.
>
> So should I then have a sendmail -XV included in the alias file?
> I do not do that for majordomo.
> Or should I so something in master.cf with the SMPT handler or some such?

You submit the mail using "sendmail -XV ..."

From: Wietse Venema on
Keld Simonsen:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 08:56:49AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
> > Keld Simonsen:
> > [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]

> > > OK, What can you recommend to me to have postfix do VERP
> > > for a recipient listed in an alias file, and where this recipient
> > > is specified via an :include: statement?
> >
> > You invoke "sendmail -XV ..." as per the instructions from Majordomo.
> >
> > Postfix VERP support works for remote and local recipients
> > whether they are mailboxes or aliases.
>
> I am not using majordomo here, only postfix.
>
> So should I then have a sendmail -XV included in the alias file?
> I do not do that for majordomo.
> Or should I so something in master.cf with the SMPT handler or some such?
>
> Thanks for all your answers.

As documented in VERP_README, use "sendmail -XV ..." to submit mail.

VERP_README does not tell you to change aliases, so don't do that.

Wietse

From: Keld Simonsen on
On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 04:20:56PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Keld Simonsen:
> > On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 08:56:49AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
> > > Keld Simonsen:
> > > [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]

> > > You invoke "sendmail -XV ..." as per the instructions from Majordomo.
> > >
> > > Postfix VERP support works for remote and local recipients
> > > whether they are mailboxes or aliases.
> >
> > I am not using majordomo here, only postfix.
> >
> > So should I then have a sendmail -XV included in the alias file?
> > I do not do that for majordomo.
> > Or should I so something in master.cf with the SMPT handler or some such?
> >
> > Thanks for all your answers.
>
> As documented in VERP_README, use "sendmail -XV ..." to submit mail.
>
> VERP_README does not tell you to change aliases, so don't do that.

I still don't get it.

My scenario is:

I - or somebody else - submit the mail from another machine by a mail command:

mail listname(a)domain.tld

This goes into postfix at my domain.tld MTA.

It gets expanded via my ailas file /etc/postfix/aliases :

listname: :include: /some/file/in/filesystem

I am now trying in the alias file something like

listname: "|/user/sbin/sendmail -XV listnameinclude"
listnameinclude: :include: /some/file/in/filesystem

It does generate new from addresses, but not with info on the
names in the include file.

Best regards
keld

From: Jeroen Geilman on
On 06/26/2010 01:01 AM, Keld Simonsen wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 04:20:56PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
>
>> Keld Simonsen:

>>> I am not using majordomo here, only postfix.
>>>
>>> So should I then have a sendmail -XV included in the alias file?
>>> I do not do that for majordomo.
>>> Or should I so something in master.cf with the SMPT handler or some such?
>>>
>>> Thanks for all your answers.
>>>
>> As documented in VERP_README, use "sendmail -XV ..." to submit mail.
>>
>> VERP_README does not tell you to change aliases, so don't do that.
>>
> I still don't get it.
>
> My scenario is:
>
> I - or somebody else - submit the mail from another machine by a mail command:
>
> mail listname(a)domain.tld
>
> This goes into postfix at my domain.tld MTA.
>
> It gets expanded via my ailas file /etc/postfix/aliases :
>
> listname: :include: /some/file/in/filesystem

> I am now trying in the alias file something like
>

> listname: "|/user/sbin/sendmail -XV listnameinclude"
> listnameinclude: :include: /some/file/in/filesystem
>
> It does generate new from addresses, but not with info on the
> names in the include file.

This is a weird construction.
Sendmail has to know all the addresses UPON SUBMISSION to be able to
modify the sender.
Think about this.

You are depending on alias expansion AFTER submission.

It's not going to work.

J.

From: Keld Simonsen on
On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 01:13:59AM +0200, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
> On 06/26/2010 01:01 AM, Keld Simonsen wrote:
> >
> >My scenario is:
> >
> >I - or somebody else - submit the mail from another machine by a mail command:
> >
> > mail listname(a)domain.tld
> >
> >This goes into postfix at my domain.tld MTA.
> >
> >It gets expanded via my ailas file /etc/postfix/aliases :
> >
> >listname: :include: /some/file/in/filesystem

> >I am now trying in the alias file something like
> >

> >listname: "|/user/sbin/sendmail -XV listnameinclude"
> >listnameinclude: :include: /some/file/in/filesystem
> >
> >It does generate new from addresses, but not with info on the
> >names in the include file.
>
> This is a weird construction.
> Sendmail has to know all the addresses UPON SUBMISSION to be able to
> modify the sender.
> Think about this.
>
> You are depending on alias expansion AFTER submission.
>
> It's not going to work.

No it did not work. I also tried

listname: "|/user/sbin/sendmail -XV :include: /some/file/in/filesystem"

it did not work either - the include expansion was not done...

Best regards
keld