From: cdh1836 on
(1) I am looking for a internal dvd drive for my dell smartstep 200N
and cannot seem to find it.

(2) My screen for the dell smartstep 200n goes dark after about 15
minutes of use , however I can still see the images on screen in the
background is it time for a new screen or display cable?

Thanks

From: Bob Villa on
On Jul 16, 11:18 pm, cynthiadea...(a)msn-dot-com.no-spam.invalid
(cdh1836) wrote:
> (1) I am looking for a internal dvd  drive for my dell smartstep 200N
> and cannot seem to find it.
>
> (2) My screen for the dell smartstep 200n goes dark after about 15
> minutes of use , however I can still see the images on screen in the
> background is it time for a new screen or display cable?
>
> Thanks

1) I couldn't find any either! eBay?
2) 1st go into Power Options and set the display to be always on when
plugged-in (if you haven't).
It may be the inverter tube though...considering the age.
From: cdh1836 on

> cdh1836 wrote:
> (1) I am looking for a internal dvd drive for my dell smartstep
200N and cannot seem to find it.

> (2) My screen for the dell smartstep 200n goes dark after about 15
minutes of use , however I can still see the images on screen in the
background is it time for a new screen or display cable?

> Thanks

Yes I have the settings correct and if the problem
persist would you recommend a new screen?

From: Bob Villa on
On Jul 18, 1:31 pm, cynthiadea...(a)msn-dot-com.no-spam.invalid
(cdh1836) wrote:
>  > cdh1836 wrote:
>
>  > (1) I am looking for a internal dvd  drive for my dell smartstep
> 200N and cannot seem to find it.
>  >
>  > (2) My screen for the dell smartstep 200n goes dark after about 15
> minutes of use , however I can still see the images on screen in the
> background is it time for a new screen or display cable?
>  >
>  > Thanks
>
> Yes I have the settings correct and if the problem
> persist would you recommend a new screen?

Yes, but depending on the cost...you may be better off with a new
notebook.
From: Christopher Muto on
cdh1836 wrote:
> (1) I am looking for a internal dvd drive for my dell smartstep 200N
> and cannot seem to find it.
>
> (2) My screen for the dell smartstep 200n goes dark after about 15
> minutes of use , however I can still see the images on screen in the
> background is it time for a new screen or display cable?
>
> Thanks

pretty impressive that you have kept this machine working this long.
must be over 8 years. if you see a faint image on the lcd screen (that
is read when you shine a bright light or flashlight on the screen) then
the problem is that the lamp in the display is dead. since this was not
a very popular model it may be hard to find used parts for it on ebay
and your only choices are to send the entire computer off to a reputable
repair shop like moniserv who i think charges about $125 for the repair.
but you could connect an external monitor to the machine via the vga
port on the rear and continue to use the machine like that. the optical
drive is in a tray and other than the front panel is a standard drive.
you could remove the optical drive with tray from the machine, and then
remove the drive from the tray and try to purchase a generic drive to
install into the tray... this suggestion again because of the machines
age and lack of popularity means it will be hard to find parts... your
time and money is probably better spend on an entirely new system.