From: Bruce on
Jay B <jayB(a)audiman.net> wrote in news:IMsJg.73$pU7.9(a)newsfe10.lga:

> reinstalling from the OS cd doesnt mess up the recovery partition or
> the utility prtition unless you specifically delete those partitions
> to make the usable space bigger. if you just reinstall and reformat
> the middle partition, you will be fine.

I repartitioned and reinstalled. But, when I repartitioned, the only
partition found on the factory install was C:, the active OS.

> most importantly, why dont you learn to tune your system and get rid
> of the nasties that are slowing you down?
> use a program like hijack and others to see what is running at startup
> and get them out. this topic discussed a lot here in thie NG.
> i have never rebuilt my systems... or my clients
> only when a hard drive is failing.

Well, I do know how to do this. As a matter of fact, my main machine is
a Dell Dimension 4550, purchased in March 2003. It still has the
original install on it, and it runs like a top. I've been tempted to do
a reinstall, but why 'fix' something that isn't broken. Friends are
amazed at how it still runs so well with the original install.

The Inspiron 8600 that is running so slow is my college daughter's
machine. I guess that says it all. If you want to see what I've done to
diagnose it's sluggishness, go here. If you have any ideas, I'm all
ears.

http://groups.google.com/groups?lnk=hpsg&q=boris+ntbtlog

<Xns981C9DB2FAA86parcxmannetscapenet(a)216.196.97.136>

From: Bruce on
Bruce <parcxman(a)netscape.net> wrote in

> Jay B <jayB(a)audiman.net> wrote in news:IMsJg.73$pU7.9(a)newsfe10.lga:
>
>> reinstalling from the OS cd doesnt mess up the recovery partition or
>> the utility prtition unless you specifically delete those partitions
>> to make the usable space bigger. if you just reinstall and reformat
>> the middle partition, you will be fine.
>
> I repartitioned and reinstalled. But, when I repartitioned, the only
> partition found on the factory install was C:, the active OS.
>

>> most importantly, why dont you learn to tune your system and get rid
>> of the nasties that are slowing you down?
>> use a program like hijack and others to see what is running at
>> startup and get them out. this topic discussed a lot here in thie
>> NG. i have never rebuilt my systems... or my clients
>> only when a hard drive is failing.
>
> Well, I do know how to do this. As a matter of fact, my main machine
> is a Dell Dimension 4550, purchased in March 2003. It still has the
> original install on it, and it runs like a top. I've been tempted to
> do a reinstall, but why 'fix' something that isn't broken. Friends
> are amazed at how it still runs so well with the original install.
>
> The Inspiron 8600 that is running so slow is my college daughter's
> machine. I guess that says it all. If you want to see what I've done
> to diagnose it's sluggishness, go here. If you have any ideas, I'm
> all ears.
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?lnk=hpsg&q=boris+ntbtlog
>
> <Xns981C9DB2FAA86parcxmannetscapenet(a)216.196.97.136>

Whoops, I meant this usenet post, not the one immediately above:

<Xns981DB10DFD8BEparcxmannetscapenet(a)216.196.97.136>

From: Jay B on
i'm not sure what you're using to look at the partitions, but the other
2 are hidden. you will only see a "C"
if you use disk management, then you can see the other 2.
if it's really not there, then you did something else to remove them.
the install from the cd does not do that.

i do remember the other thread. i responded saying the file that was
repeating in the startup was AOL.

the slowness also looks like a rootkit. (hidden undetectable nasties)

the thread turned to registry cleaners -- those will not help you there.
------
actually now i'm a little confused.

you said in your previous post this thread that you "repartitionsed and
reinstalled".
and you still have the slowness problem??
did you do a FULL format or a quick format?
you must do a full format.

if you did and that is still slow, then guess what, your hard drive is
going bad, and needs to be replaced.
it wouldnt surprise me because its gotta be 3 years old.

then you said: "It then ran like new, again."

so is the problem solved?
what are you really saying?
From: dg1261 on

"Pat Patterson" <vipatter(a)charter.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for your work, Dan, you saved my butt several times...
>
> Vinnie

You're welcome. It's nice to hear when one's work is appreciated.

From: dg1261 on

"Bruce" <parcxman(a)netscape.net> wrote in message
> I've got an Inspiron 8600, purchased in March of 2004.
> From my reading of your article, if I ever had a Dell Restore
> Partition, I suppose I no longer have one.

Dell did not begin shipping systems with the Dell System Restore feature
until Jul 2004, so your system should not have a DSR partition.