From: Bernhard Ecke on
For restore factory i need the original dellmbr.bin

From: dg1261 on

"Bernhard Ecke" <shh11(a)gmx.de> wrote in message
> For restore factory i need the original dellmbr.bin

Most people aren't going to know what you're referring to.

Dellmbr.bin is a filename I made up when I began distributing a repair for
the Dell MBR. Dell didn't take to kindly to that (something about
copyrights and such), so I no longer distribute it. If you want a copy of
the MBR, anyone can capture it from another working Dell, but of course they
can name it anything you want. There is no officially named file called
dellmbr.bin.

In most cases you shouldn't need a copy of the Dell MBR. Use my dsrsfix
program instead, available from www.goodells.net/dellrestore. It is safer
than pasting a copy of someone else's MBR over yours, and it also does a
comprehensive check of other characteristics of your DSR configuration.
To have a working DSR system, you need more than just the Dell MBR. Dsrfix
checks the other DSR system characteristics, not only the MBR.

Dan Goodell

From: Pat Patterson on
Thanks for your work, Dan, you saved my butt several times...

Vinnie

From: Bruce on
"dg1261" <dgREMOVE-THIS1261(a)cs.com> wrote in

> "Bernhard Ecke" <shh11(a)gmx.de> wrote in message
>> For restore factory i need the original dellmbr.bin
>
> Most people aren't going to know what you're referring to.
>
> Dellmbr.bin is a filename I made up when I began distributing a repair
> for the Dell MBR. Dell didn't take to kindly to that (something about
> copyrights and such), so I no longer distribute it. If you want a
> copy of the MBR, anyone can capture it from another working Dell, but
> of course they can name it anything you want. There is no officially
> named file called dellmbr.bin.
>
> In most cases you shouldn't need a copy of the Dell MBR. Use my
> dsrsfix program instead, available from www.goodells.net/dellrestore.
> It is safer than pasting a copy of someone else's MBR over yours, and
> it also does a comprehensive check of other characteristics of your
> DSR configuration. To have a working DSR system, you need more than
> just the Dell MBR. Dsrfix checks the other DSR system
> characteristics, not only the MBR.
>
> Dan Goodell

Wow. That's a very nice explanation of the entire boot process,
something I've been wondering about.

I've got an Inspiron 8600, purchased in March of 2004. In June of 2005,
I used the Dell labeled (purple):

"Operating System - Already Installed on Your Computer"
"Reinstallation CD"
"Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 1a"

OS reinstallation CD, and the instructions on the Dell site to do a clean
install. It then ran like new, again.

From my reading of your article, if I ever had a Dell Restore Partition,
I suppose I no longer have one.

I believe the machine was shipped with the above Reinstallation CD, XP
Home installed, of course, with all the other software, and a Restore
Partition.

I'm asking because it looks like I'm going to have to reinstall XP Home
again, to overcome a boot time that has become excrutiatingly lengthy,
and I was hoping to avoid a full reinstall. But, looks like I'm stuck.
Yes?

Sincerely,

Bruce
From: Jay B on
reinstalling from the OS cd doesnt mess up the recovery partition or the
utility prtition unless you specifically delete those partitions to make
the usable space bigger. if you just reinstall and reformat the middle
partition, you will be fine.

most importantly, why dont you learn to tune your system and get rid of
the nasties that are slowing you down?
use a program like hijack and others to see what is running at startup
and get them out. this topic discussed a lot here in thie NG.
i have never rebuilt my systems... or my clients
only when a hard drive is failing.