From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Trev" <trev(a)belt-man.co.uk> wrote in message

> My account is already set up like this but the name that appears at
> the recipients end is the "username" under the login information.

That means that Sky is rewriting the headers to supply your online account's
mail address instead of the one Outlook supplies in the header. Not entirely
uncommon. Gmail does this, too. You need to ask Sky why they do that and if
they can stop.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Trev on
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 19:43:12 -0600, VanguardLH <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote:

>> thanks
>
>Okay, so you have your own domain that is registered. So what? That
>doesn't mean you have a mail server running on a host that uses that domain.
>Just WHO is going to receive and send e-mails when you use that domain in
>your e-mail address?

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

(ps Try decaff)
From: VanguardLH on
Trev wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 19:43:12 -0600, VanguardLH <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>>> thanks
>>
>>Okay, so you have your own domain that is registered. So what? That
>>doesn't mean you have a mail server running on a host that uses that domain.
>>Just WHO is going to receive and send e-mails when you use that domain in
>>your e-mail address?
>
> Thanks for the helpful suggestions.
>
> (ps Try decaff)

Oh yes, it must be my fault that you posted an incomplete and undetailed
message. Uh huh. For all of what you described, you are a user that thinks
having a registered domain name somehow magically provides you with an
e-mail server.

(ps Try non-decaff and maybe you'll be more awake to provide the details)
From: VanguardLH on
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

> "Trev" <trev(a)belt-man.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> My account is already set up like this but the name that appears at
>> the recipients end is the "username" under the login information.
>
> That means that Sky is rewriting the headers to supply your online account's
> mail address instead of the one Outlook supplies in the header. Not entirely
> uncommon. Gmail does this, too. You need to ask Sky why they do that and if
> they can stop.

Maybe it is an anti-abuse or anti-spam measure. Their users can't lie about
through which account an e-mail was sent. Exchange is often setup this way,
too, so employees can't lie about their e-mail address at the company.
Personally I would like to see this override as a standard function of mail
servers instead of the exception. If the user wants replies going to a
different account then they use the Reply-To header.

Hopefully Trevor used a strong password on his account since he just
divulged half of his login credentials at Sky in a public venue where
spambots, trolls, and malcontents may visit.
From: Trev on
On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 16:44:23 -0600, VanguardLH <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote:

>Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
>
>> "Trev" <trev(a)belt-man.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>> My account is already set up like this but the name that appears at
>>> the recipients end is the "username" under the login information.
>>
>> That means that Sky is rewriting the headers to supply your online account's
>> mail address instead of the one Outlook supplies in the header. Not entirely
>> uncommon. Gmail does this, too. You need to ask Sky why they do that and if
>> they can stop.

Brian is quite right. I have spoken to Sky and they inform me that the
reason for this is to prevent people running a business through a
standard account. I have sorted the problem now by using my domain
provider's email service which, I have only just discovered, is
included in their biennial fee.

>Maybe it is an anti-abuse or anti-spam measure. Their users can't lie about
>through which account an e-mail was sent. Exchange is often setup this way,
>too, so employees can't lie about their e-mail address at the company.
>Personally I would like to see this override as a standard function of mail
>servers instead of the exception. If the user wants replies going to a
>different account then they use the Reply-To header.

For me, the beauty of having a "private" email address is that if I
change ISP no one needs notifying. This procedure has worked
seamlessly for 10 years through three ISPs

>Hopefully Trevor used a strong password on his account since he just
>divulged half of his login credentials at Sky in a public venue where
>spambots, trolls, and malcontents may visit.

Password is strong and changeable.

Thanks for everyone's help.

--

Trev (Milnrow, UK)