From: Maja on
I most certainly don't blame Microsoft for that, but I put myself in that
position and am trying to find a solution.
So coming back to my original questions:
Is it possible to reinstall the laptop with any recovery CD with an English
version (I have one from my old Acer C110) into a German base? Maybe the
files deciding about the language are only on the CDs? Will it be still legal?
If or it wouldn't work or is not legal how can I buy an installation CD?

From: Chris H. on
Legally, I believe the media you have for the C110 is licensed to that
particular computer through the manufacturer's setup routine. If there's a
product key code on the bottom of the computer, then it belongs to that
single computer. Have you contacted Acer to see if they'd sell you a new
set for the newer computer?

From: Jan Wagner on
Maja wrote:
> I most certainly don't blame Microsoft for that, but I put myself in that
> position and am trying to find a solution.
> So coming back to my original questions:
> Is it possible to reinstall the laptop with any recovery CD with an English
> version (I have one from my old Acer C110) into a German base? Maybe the
> files deciding about the language are only on the CDs? Will it be still legal?
> If or it wouldn't work or is not legal how can I buy an installation CD?

Unfortunately only if you have the English recovery CD - you'd best
first check with the eBay seller if (s)he has other languages than
German. At least my C3xx series came with three recovery CD sets
English (which, sorry, I still need...), Finnish, Swedish.

If the seller doesn't have them, ask Acer.

If it's getting desperate then there's also
http://board.iexbeta.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1389
although I've no idea if that /really/ works (an English
TABLETPC.CAB might be available on p2p networks, always with the
risk of being infested with all kinds of nasty unexpected things...)

Or then, wait for Vista and buy it, it should be released real soon
now, like MS has been saying already a for while... ;-) (but ok
current estimate was beginning of 2007 for consumer Vista, and
November 2006 for corporate, AFAIK, so it really might be relatively
soon)

regards,
- Jan
From: Maja on
And that is a more useful reply :). I might actually get a copy of recovery
CDs in English and I was told that the license should be fine with the
English version anyway.
It's really annoying that they don't make proper installation CDs at all.

Thanks.
Maja

From: Rainald Taesler on
Chris H. wrote:
> A MUI pack for the operating system is only available for corporate
> entities, not the general public.

Not only.
My HP tc1100 came with (a) XP Pro + TabletPC extensions in German and
(b) The complete set MUI disks for that. That's HP's company policy.

> Since the purchaser bought the
> Tablet PC from someone through EBay, it would be the seller's
> responsibility to furnish the proper operating system/software.

Right.

> Whether it was sold as a German language machine is probably only
> known to the seller and buyer, and not the responsibility of
> Microsoft or the original manufacturer.

Nobody spoke of any "responsibility" of MS.
The OP had asked if she might legally use the CDs which had come with
her previous machine.
And I had asked back if she had not got the MUI pack (because I
thought that this would be industry standard, not only HP standard).
Nothing more, nothing less.

Rainald