From: MowGreen on
Bruce Parent wrote:
> 1. I found upgrade to avast 5.0 occured just after 3/15 mar windows updates.
> So I agree that this points to avast as the culprit. I opened ticket: avast
> causes error 80070005 in windows update (cmt-252920) if you wish to view it.
> I see you have found other avast 80070005 errors in the past.

Things look kind of dicey for the latest Version of Avast. Here's one
thread, dating from March 10th, to which 189 people have posted and
*9867* people have viewed:

Good Bye Avast - I need my CPU Back
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=56876.0

> 2. I am impressed with the tools you have had me use (I hope these pages
> stay available after I am fixed so I can make them available to me) are there
> other tools available that unknowledgable users such as me can safely use to
> protect their systems?

Are you referring to the Microsoft Fixit pages or MBAM ? Here's a list
of the current Fixit pages, ordered as they came online:

http://blogs.technet.com/fixit4me/default.aspx

It appears there hasn't been any additions to that page since January 29th.

> 3. I reran malwarebytes and only found the 2 avast (?) entries. I ran
> onecare but still cannot search windows updates (I did have to convince email
> I knew my password)

You mean the files quarantined by Avast ?
Did the OneCare scan detect *anything* ?

> 4. I may still wish to be windows 7 something if no problems since december.
> Especially if I have to rebuild. I had 3 userids on original vista. non admin
> pain if I wish to install software like readerworks. I have many clever
> passord schemes. rembering which clever password after 6 months of non-use
> became an issue. I went back to one id before I had to rebuild last time. UAC
> is on.
> I will be unavailable on Tuesday. I will be waiting awhile for possible
> avast solution.

That's precisely why I've started writing down passwords that I rarely
use. The old memory ain't what it use to be.
Would you please check in User Accounts to see how many there are when
you get the time ? Thanks.

Cya Wednesday.

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
From: Bruce Parent on
malwarebytes only detected avast. all quarantined avast items were deleted
onecare detected only normal situations counts of this and that no malware;
it did reset a remembered password (email).
I will examine fixit page but was more interested in software tools like
onecare and malwarebytes.
I only have 1 (one) userid. even before rebuild of the OS. since rebuild I
have only had the one userid. I will consider adding a second as I have been
somewhat careless and picked up a few viruses since this problem began. (all
since deleted according to virus packages). As a former security officer I
shudder at written down passwords. but written down clues are a different
matter.
cya has multiple meanings (not all good) but yeah you've been a big help
--
Bruce Parent

From: MowGreen on
Bruce Parent wrote:
> malwarebytes only detected avast. all quarantined avast items were deleted
> onecare detected only normal situations counts of this and that no malware;
> it did reset a remembered password (email).
> I will examine fixit page but was more interested in software tools like
> onecare and malwarebytes.
> I only have 1 (one) userid. even before rebuild of the OS. since rebuild I
> have only had the one userid. I will consider adding a second as I have been
> somewhat careless and picked up a few viruses since this problem began. (all
> since deleted according to virus packages). As a former security officer I
> shudder at written down passwords. but written down clues are a different
> matter.
> cya has multiple meanings (not all good) but yeah you've been a big help
> -- Bruce Parent

Here's how to -

Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

There are quite a few malware detection/removal/repair/recovery tools
that are very handy. This site, in itself, very useful, has one such CD
list: http://www.technibble.com/large-list-of-useful-computer-repair-cds/

Kaspersky offers worthwhile malware removal tools:
http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/utility

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
From: Bruce Parent on
I have only one userid no hidden id (I think). I know how to choose the
administrator name during system build like with my servers and did so using
my userid. I AM the administrator. Vista doesn't care. It is like linux in
that even the administrator is not the administrator unless (s)he asks
nicely. (Linux has even invaded my dearly departed mainframe OS (no longer
called MVS except by us dinosaurs).

I see fixit pages mention avira antivirus. I have for some time known
kaspersky to be the best antivirus and at that price it certainly ought to
be. I also found comodo antivirus (rated (almost) equal to kaspersky in one
evaluation and priced right). avast has not acknowledged my issue but that
may only indicate poor communication skills in their support, but my patience
with them is running thin. I will examine the various tech support pages you
mentioned. cya (the good one)
--
Bruce Parent

From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-04-30 3:45 p.m., Bruce Parent wrote:

> I have only one userid no hidden id (I think). I know how to choose the
> administrator name during system build like with my servers and did so using
> my userid.

This isn't *the* Administrator account (capital A) but just *an* administrator
account.

> I AM the administrator. Vista doesn't care. It is like linux in
> that even the administrator is not the administrator unless (s)he asks
> nicely.

In Windows 7, the Administrator account bypasses UAC; hopefully Vista is the same.

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com