From: Bruce Parent on
I tried to use windows updates to check if there were any additional updates
after I had applied the Apr 2010 updates ending with KB980302 and after a
reboot. Every time that I do this I receive a message Windows could not
search for new updates with error code 80070005. Biographical: I am a retired
networking tech and a mainframe systems programmer. I have auto updates
turned off because I like to do it myself. I applied the updates after
returning from a week's vacation.
--
Bruce Parent
From: MowGreen on
Bruce Parent wrote:
> I tried to use windows updates to check if there were any additional updates
> after I had applied the Apr 2010 updates ending with KB980302 and after a
> reboot. Every time that I do this I receive a message Windows could not
> search for new updates with error code 80070005. Biographical: I am a retired
> networking tech and a mainframe systems programmer. I have auto updates
> turned off because I like to do it myself. I applied the updates after
> returning from a week's vacation.

Bruce,

80070005 denotes an Access Denied hr result.

* Which * edition of Windows and what Service Pack level, please ?

What is the installed antivirus/security suite and, is a 3rd party
firewall being used ?

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
From: Bruce Parent on
sorry, os: vista home premium service pack 2
virus: avast (free home) 5.0.507 definitions 100420-1
i don't think avast has a firewall but it might
on Sunday 4/18 I was allowed to go into windows update and apply april fixes
since sometimes additional fixes appear after an apply I always go back into
windows update immediately after the reboot to check for additional fixes.
It is here that I get the 80070005 error code checking for updates.
I get the windows update screen and can view history (all successful) 12
updates ending with KB980302, kb980232, kb979683, kb981332, kb890830,
kb905866, kb980182, kb978601, kb977816, kb978338, kb979309, kb915597.
windows firewall is on.
--
Bruce Parent

From: MowGreen on
Bruce Parent wrote:
> It was an upgrade from avast 4 a little over a month ago.
> I just executed windows defender (no unwanted or harmful software detected)
> I turned off all avast sshields for 10 minutes and tried windows update.
> same windows could not search for new updates message
> avast allowed me to do the 12 windows updates just a half hour before I
> started getting these messages about 80070005 error.
> Maybe I should try turning off the windows firewall temporarily???
> (when I had trend micro I used to run with both firewalls active)
> -- Bruce Parent

Let's start with

>> (when I had trend micro I used to run with both firewalls active)

You are fortunate that there were no updating issues when the 2 software
firewalls were running concurrently. I *highly* doubt that turning Off
the native Vista firewall will resolve the Access Denied error now.

>> avast allowed me to do the 12 windows updates just a half hour before I
>> started getting these messages about 80070005 error.

This last action is what apparently broke what I call the "house of
cards". The uninstallation of Trend Micro Internet Security without
running a removal tool to ensure that all remnanats of it were removed,
combined with the installation of Avast 4, and the subsequent upgrade to
Avast 5 *plus* running 2 firewalls concurrently was akin to pulling one
card out at a time from the "house of cards". The final card pulled,
which was the installation of this month's *complex* round of updates,
is what finally caused the house of cards to begin to collapse.
The 80070005 error will be the first *persistent* issue followed by
others and ending up in a reinstall of Vista if this is not resolved now.

First, to rule out Windows Defender as possible source of the error,
open the Services console and Stop the Windows Defender service.
*Right* click Computer either on the Desktop or Start Menu and choose
'Manage'. Agree to the UAC prompt. In the left frame click the arrow
next to Service and Applications then click on Services. In the right
frame, scroll all the way down to Windows Defender.
Click the Stop the service link.
*Right* click on Windows Defender, choose Properties.
Set the Startup type to Disabled. Click Apply, then OK and close the
Services console.
Open Windows Update and see if the error is still occurring. If it is,
read on.

Please download and *save* AppRemover:
http://www.technibble.com/appremover-repair-tool-of-the-week/

Now configure the system to Clean boot. This will eliminate ALL 3rd
party software (including Avast) from interfering with Vista's operations:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows
Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

After you've Clean booted the system, run AppRemover.
Have it remove any object or remnant associated with *Trend Micro*.
Do *not* remove anything associated with Avast !!
Reboot *only* if AppRemover requests it.

While *still* in the Clean boot state, open Windows Update and see if
the Access Denied error occurs.
If it does not, UNdo the Clean boot steps and reboot to normal Windows
mode. You're done.
If the error still occurs, read on.

Using Internet Explorer, go here:
How do I restore security settings to the default settings?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

Click the Fix it button and when prompted to run or save
MicrosoftFixit50198.msi, choose *save*.
Once the download completes close *all* open programs and Internet
Explorer.
Now run the Fixit and restart if requested to.

Please NOTE: " After you run this Microsoft Fix it (or complete these
manual steps), standard user accounts may no longer appear on the log on
screen when you start your computer or try to switch users. This occurs
because standard user accounts are removed from the Users group when you
reset Windows security settings. "
If the above describes the way Vista's setup on your system, then follow
the 'Next steps' shown for Vista, *not* XP. If it does not, then
*ignore* those steps.

While *still* in the Clean boot state, open Windows Update and see if
the error is still occurring.
Whether it is or is not occurring, UNdo the Clean boot steps now and
boot to normal Windows mode.

*IF it is* still occurring, then please copy and paste the *last* 50 or
so lines of the WindowsUpdate.log into your reply:

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
From: Bruce Parent on
1. I used trend micro when my os was win xp.
I don't think it was ever on this computer (dell/vista)
dell/vista locked up and I rebuilt format and reinstall from CD a year ago.
I am certain trend micro has never been on this computer since then.
There does not appear to be any firewall in the FREE version of avast.
I am only running the windows firewall - no other firewall on system.
what I turned off was all avast shields (shields control)
I have installed very little software since the rebuild. Open office, avast.
Today I installed lavasoft ad-aware (it removed the cookies)
and ran avast scan (deleted 3 viruses and then reboot, turn off ad-aware,
stop avast shields - same results) possibility exists of an undetected virus.
I have used avast for years with no problems with any ms os.

2. the final card/straw was the installation of 12 updates. I am (very)
reluctant to back off updates one at a time (worst case scenario). upgrade
from vista to the new win 7 os is another (currently) unattractive option. By
update log, I ssume you mean update history (list of updates)

3. I opened administrative services (old control panel) and opened services
with run as administrator. I selected stop command and the started indicator
went away. It is set as automatic so a reboot will turn it back on. under
properties I chaged the type to disabled as you recommended. then select
apply. then window update - still could not search for new updates. download
of appremover was indicated as unsafe so since trend was never on this
computer I skipped the step and went to clean boot. (only non ms services
were avast, google, now adaware, and hardware drivers. on shut down a got bad
beet. on startup I got bad beep application (defender?) failed to initialize
0x800106BA. Avast insisted on starting its services at startup. I stopped
avast shields I stopped service I could not disable service. windows update
same problem - I changed defender to automatic in services and started the
service and got good beeps on shutdown and startup. I turned back on non-ms
services and normal startup with services.

4. avast dell and now adaware are the only things at startup than ms. open
office I think does not startup (that casued the previous failure from which
I rebuilt). I will await you advice as to whether to download appremover.
Tomorrow I will take the computer to cincinnati and try windows update from a
restaurant with wifi (unsecure) to eliminate my dsl provider (phone company).
My userid in the only userid on this system. It is administrator but with
vista home premium I sometimes have to run as administrator to convince it to
let me be administrator. I have no usable backup from prior to the update. I
have only one userid: bapa... which is administrator (unless vista gets its
own ideas) the os is vista home premium so ms fixit to reset security
settings has some risks. I will back up files same as prior to rebuild or win
7 upgrade before attempting this. I have much mail in windows mail. Unless I
can save the mail file (location ?) I would lose any mail I did not save as a
text file. Any advice?

5. win xp premium let me do administrative tasks as admin. Vista does not.
Also vista does not let me make as many drives (one physical) as I want. I
want medium size C, D for data, L for later linux dual boot (no linux exists
at present). Dell created a partition for itself – I had to remove it to
build L drive in disk management. Now have 78MB healthy (not partition) 40GB
C system 32GB L linux(unused) 160.81GB D data. I may prefer to get win 7
instead of rebuild vista. I can get an upgrade at micro center. I want to be
able to do administrator tasks I did when building servers without too high a
price.

with friday activities it may be next week before I can rebuild or upgrade
to win 7.
--
Bruce Parent