From: Allen on
Well,

This was real fun. Yeah, I am being very sarcastic. Our update account
decided to log in on reboot going into Safe Mode w/ DS Restore Mode. It then
performed a DCPROMO and then applied EXCH2K SP3 for some reason. Afterwards,
the AD stopped on both servers and DC2 couldnt see DC1. Then DC1 couldnt see
the GC Server. Yeah!!. So I spent all day rebuilding my servers from scratch
because Backup Exec failed to start in Safe mode. Turns out that a pvl.mdb
file is required and wasnt there at all. It wasnt on any other server we had
nor on the disc that Veritas/Symantec claims it to be on. So restoring
SYSTATE was not going to happen via tape. So that left me manually rebuilding
the servers. Right now I am back at where I was before Journal_Wrap occured
again and the ADS stopped. Right now FRS runs for about 5-15 minutes then
stops. Event ID 13508 occurs and of course the lovely error for the service
stopping. This time though, DC2 cant replicate to DC1. If it wasnt for the
fun of what happened earlier, I would try that KCC idea again. But I been up
since 3am yesterday and it is now 1:22am. I am thinking of sleep. Anyway, I
could use some serious help here. I have been given full reign of my system
now. So any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

From: Allen on
Well,

From: Ada Pan [MSFT] on
Hello Allen,

After reviewing the post log, I would appreciate it if you could help in
gathering the following information first:

Based on my experience, the issue could be related to several factors. To
troubleshoot the issue, we usually need to spend quite some time to perform
steps to find the problem causer due to complexity on technical side. I
appreciate your understanding and cooperation during the troubleshooting
process.

1. Run FRSDiag.exe on the DC1 and DC2.

File Replication Service Diagnostics Tool (FRSDiag.exe)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=43CB658E-8553-4DE7-
811A-562563EB5EBF&displaylang=en

2. Export the following registry key from the DC1 and DC2. NOTE: Before
sending the exported registry files to us, please change the file extension
from .reg to .txt.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs

3. Generate a Directory Services Edition (Mpsrpt_dirsvc.exe) of MPS report
on DC1 and DC2. For detailed instructions, please refer to the following MS
KB article:

818742.KB.EN-US Overview of the Microsoft Configuration Capture Utility
(MPS_REPORTS)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;818742

My e-mail address is: < v-adapan(a)Microsoft.com >.

Hope this helps.

From: Allen on
Ada Pan,

Thanks for helping me out here. I thought of the FRSDiag but I ran into a
bind on it. Since it requires .Net Framework 1.1 I cant use it. We dont have
that installed and we cant install it because of our security requirements.
They wont bend on this even though it will really help me fix it. I am going
to run the MPS report tool and I will get that to you as soon as possible. Do
you know of any tools that run similar to FRSDiag that doesnt use .Net
Framework? I dont know of any but I will do some looking around. Thanks again.

From: Ada Pan [MSFT] on
Hello Allen,

To provide more accurate suggestions for you, please first send us the
reports so we can check the reports to see if other info is needed. Please
take your time to collect the reports and send me at your earliest
convenience. I look forward to hearing from you.