From: Robert Aldwinckle on

"Jeff Zeitlin" <msforums(a)freelancetraveller.com> wrote in message

> This is not going to always be possible - for example, my Dell Inspiron
> laptop does not have a numeric keypad, not even via the special Fn key
> like my previous Toshiba did. I therefore cannot enter characters using
> the Alt-numeric codes.

Then you can start the On Screen Keyboard (osk.exe) which does have a
numeric keypad. ; )

---

From: Jud Hendrix on
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 11:10:45 -0400, Jeff Zeitlin
<msforums(a)freelancetraveller.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 08:13:49 +0100, Dominic Payer <dcp(a)dcp.fsv.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>Find Character Map in your Windows Accessories/Tools menu and note and
>>remember the Alt+numeric sequence for the accented characters you need
>>in the fonts you use.
>>
>>The numbers in the sequences must be entered on the right hand numeric
>>keypad not the numeric keys above the keyboard letters.
>
>This is not going to always be possible - for example, my Dell Inspiron
>laptop does not have a numeric keypad, not even via the special Fn key
>like my previous Toshiba did. I therefore cannot enter characters using
>the Alt-numeric codes.

There are more ways to get accents and things. I use Vista, and this works on
Seven as well (and I think on XP too). I my language set to English and the
keyboard US International. No need for fingerbreaking keypad combinations ;-)

To enable accents, I press Left Shift + Left Ctrl (press them both to switch
on the feature and then let go).
Now if I type " followed by e, I get �.

To disable, I press Left Shift + Left Ctrl.
Now if I type " followed by e, I get "e

I found this by accident as I was messing around with the keycombinations
while using the Japanese IME. I noticed my accents were gone, but then thought
that I had been pushing a bunch of keycombinations on the bottom left of my
keyboard, and then pushed and pushed till I found them. Maybe an online search
would have helped me find the answer straight away, but you know, men don't
like to read manuals ;-)

Hope this helps

jud
From: Jeff Zeitlin on
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 09:18:25 +0100, Jud Hendrix <none(a)none.com> wrote:

>There are more ways to get accents and things. I use Vista, and this works on
>Seven as well (and I think on XP too). I my language set to English and the
>keyboard US International. No need for fingerbreaking keypad combinations ;-)

Yes, I noted this in an earlier post; I've been using this method on my
own computers since Windows98SE. Much simpler to deal with; the only
time I have problems is when I need to find a less-common accent mark,
such as the Hungarian double-acute accent, for which I use the Character
Map.

From: Jeff Zeitlin on
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 16:29:05 -0400, "Robert Aldwinckle"
<robald(a)techemail.com> wrote:

>"Jeff Zeitlin" <msforums(a)freelancetraveller.com> wrote in message

>> This is not going to always be possible - for example, my Dell Inspiron
>> laptop does not have a numeric keypad, not even via the special Fn key
>> like my previous Toshiba did. I therefore cannot enter characters using
>> the Alt-numeric codes.

>Then you can start the On Screen Keyboard (osk.exe) which does have a
>numeric keypad. ; )

.... and just out of curiosity, I tried it - nope. Doesn't work. You
need a real numeric pad, distinguishable from the typewriter-pad numeric
keys, to be able to use the Alt-0nnn codes.
From: Dominic Payer on
The on-screen numeric pad would be fine, but you have to hold down the
Alt key while you key the numbers and that can't be done with the
on-screen keyboard.

On 13/06/2010 15:13, Jeff Zeitlin wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 16:29:05 -0400, "Robert Aldwinckle"
> <robald(a)techemail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Jeff Zeitlin"<msforums(a)freelancetraveller.com> wrote in message
>
>>> This is not going to always be possible - for example, my Dell Inspiron
>>> laptop does not have a numeric keypad, not even via the special Fn key
>>> like my previous Toshiba did. I therefore cannot enter characters using
>>> the Alt-numeric codes.
>
>> Then you can start the On Screen Keyboard (osk.exe) which does have a
>> numeric keypad. ; )
>
> ... and just out of curiosity, I tried it - nope. Doesn't work. You
> need a real numeric pad, distinguishable from the typewriter-pad numeric
> keys, to be able to use the Alt-0nnn codes.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Fail to create IXSSO.Query object
Next: Network Problem