From: Jeff Layman on
"Jeff Zeitlin" <msforums(a)freelancetraveller.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 08:13:49 +0100, Dominic Payer <dcp(a)dcp.fsv.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>Find Character Map in your Windows Accessories/Tools menu and note and
>>remember the Alt+numeric sequence for the accented characters you need
>>in the fonts you use.
>>
>>The numbers in the sequences must be entered on the right hand numeric
>>keypad not the numeric keys above the keyboard letters.
>
> This is not going to always be possible - for example, my Dell Inspiron
> laptop does not have a numeric keypad, not even via the special Fn key
> like my previous Toshiba did. I therefore cannot enter characters using
> the Alt-numeric codes.

So page 60 here:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins8500/en/8500/OM/8600/i8600-om.pdf
does not work, even though you have an Inspiron?

--

Jeff

From: Jeff Zeitlin on
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 18:25:37 +0100, "Jeff Layman"
<jmlayman(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>"Jeff Zeitlin" <msforums(a)freelancetraveller.com> wrote in message

>> This is not going to always be possible - for example, my Dell Inspiron
>> laptop does not have a numeric keypad, not even via the special Fn key
>> like my previous Toshiba did. I therefore cannot enter characters using
>> the Alt-numeric codes.

>So page 60 here:
>http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins8500/en/8500/OM/8600/i8600-om.pdf
>does not work, even though you have an Inspiron?

No. I have an Inspiron 1545, not an 8600. The 1545 /does not have a
numeric pad/. Period. Unless I can purchase an add-on, which I have no
interest in doing.

I prefer to use the US-International keyboard layout to access accented
characters.