From: windyhil on
I'm using an old version of Word & the key next to the p key doesn't do
anything for adding the accent mark over the e in pate. Help!
Windy

From: Bo Persson on
windyhil wrote:
> I'm using an old version of Word & the key next to the p key
> doesn't do anything for adding the accent mark over the e in pate.
> Help!
> Windy

It also depends on yor language and keyboard settings. On my keyboard
the accents are to the left of the backspace key. Several keys away
from the p key.

Bo Persson

From: Jeff Zeitlin on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:19:17 -0700, windyhil
<windyhil(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm using an old version of Word & the key next to the p key doesn't do
>anything for adding the accent mark over the e in pate. Help!
>Windy

I believe that John Barnes, Carlos, and rmsommer were using Windows
keyboard layouts other than the standard "United States" layout. I use
the "US-International" layout as my default keyboard layout, and I have
no problems with accented letters:

To get this word I type this
---------------- -----------
pat� p a t ' e
ma�ana m a ~ n a n a
f�hrer f " u h r e r
it's i t ' space s

Additionally, on that same Windows layout (US-International), certain
non-accent characters are available by using the AltGr key (which is the
Alt key on the right if it is not explicitly labelled AltGr):

To get this word I type this
---------------- -----------
stra�e s t r a AltGr+s e
�ngstrom AltGr+W n g s t r o m
encyclop�dia e n c y c l o p AltGr+z d i a

(The above examples are not exhaustive, for either accents or non-accent
foreign characters.)

I have had no problems using these in Word; however, there is the
possibility of a problem with the AltGr key, as it happens to be
equivalent to Ctrl+Alt - so a Word command that is invoked with
Ctrl+Alt+<some key> may get invoked instead if you use the AltGr key to
get a non-English character.

Different layouts, such as the French or Spanish layouts, will have
different arrangements of accents and characters, so choose your layout
based on your needs and comfort. The French layout, for example,
conforms to the French standard AZERTY keyboard layout.

From: Dominic Payer on
Find Character Map in your Windows Accessories/Tools menu and note and
remember the Alt+numeric sequence for the accented characters you need
in the fonts you use.

The numbers in the sequences must be entered on the right hand numeric
keypad not the numeric keys above the keyboard letters.

From: Jeff Zeitlin on
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 08:13:49 +0100, Dominic Payer <dcp(a)dcp.fsv.co.uk>
wrote:

>Find Character Map in your Windows Accessories/Tools menu and note and
>remember the Alt+numeric sequence for the accented characters you need
>in the fonts you use.
>
>The numbers in the sequences must be entered on the right hand numeric
>keypad not the numeric keys above the keyboard letters.

This is not going to always be possible - for example, my Dell Inspiron
laptop does not have a numeric keypad, not even via the special Fn key
like my previous Toshiba did. I therefore cannot enter characters using
the Alt-numeric codes.

>On 10/06/2010 23:19, windyhil wrote:
>> I'm using an old version of Word& the key next to the p key doesn't do
>> anything for adding the accent mark over the e in pate. Help!
>> Windy
>>
>> "rmsommer" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Carlos....
>>>
>>> How do I do the tilda?