From: Thomas Jollans on
On 07/11/2010 07:44 AM, rantingrick wrote:
> On Jul 10, 10:59 pm, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> <luke.leigh...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> source at:http://github.com/lkcl/grailbrowser
>>
>> $ python grail.py (note the lack of "python1.5" or "python2.4")
>>
>> conversion of the 80 or so regex's to re has been carried out.
>> entirely successfully or not is a matter yet to be determined. always
>> a hoot to try browsinghttp://www.bbc.co.ukorhttp://www.youtube.com
>> with a browser from 11+ years ago, it still cannot be resisted as
>> grail is the only working graphical web browser in the world written
>> in pure python [pybrowser is still in development, stalled].
>>
>> l.
>
> Congratulations on this effort Luke. However you know what project i
> would really like to see the community get around? ...dramatic pause
> here... a cross platform Python file browser! Yes i know there are
> tons of them out there already and Python is a bit slow, but i think
> it would be useful to many peoples.

Cross platform file manager. Hmm. Does "cross platform" involve UNIX and
something that isn't UNIX, say, Windows?
Erm, no. No, no, no. It won't work. Well, it would work, but it wouldn't
be any good. The UNIX and Windows concepts of "file system" are similar
enough for most programs not to care too much, but for something like a
file manager, that works intimately with the file system, trying to
support both UNIX and Windows is NOT a good idea.

If you stick to common functionality, the program will be rather useless
on both systems. Yes, you could *browse* the file system alright, but
that's about it. If you attempt to be full-featured, keeping it in one
code base, let alone in one user interface, is destined to be a
nightmare and induce suicides.

The above might have been very slightly exaggerated.

Cheers!
Thomas
From: Stephen Hansen on
On 7/11/10 9:31 AM, Thomas Jollans wrote:
> Cross platform file manager. Hmm. Does "cross platform" involve UNIX and
> something that isn't UNIX, say, Windows?
> Erm, no. No, no, no. It won't work. Well, it would work, but it wouldn't
> be any good. The UNIX and Windows concepts of "file system" are similar
> enough for most programs not to care too much, but for something like a
> file manager, that works intimately with the file system, trying to
> support both UNIX and Windows is NOT a good idea.

Indeed so.

And you can't lump the Mac in with "UNIX" here, even though it really is
UNIX at the foundation, because there's some very fundamental
differences between HFS+ (and some other details that are higher level)
and more traditional unix FS's. Not to mention that the Mac FS situation
is slightly schitzo since it has two very different ways at looking and
treating the files, the posix way and the Foundation way... and users
think more in terms of the latter, usually. At least less sophisticated
users.

You can't do a cross-platform file manager without either doing a huge
amount of work exposing each platform separately-- essentially getting
separate codebases for each-- or doing a least common denominator
situation, at which point I boggle: why the hell did you bother to begin
with? Even Finder is better then that, let alone windows' Explorer.

Even if you did the former... what the hell is the point, still? What
real problem needs solving here that people should drop something and
rally behind*?

--

Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai

(*): I do not argue that a non-default file manager on an OS might be a
great thing. I use Path Finder on the mac and have been very pleased
with it for years, and consider its purchase money very well spent. Its
hands-down the absolute best file management tool ever done, in my
opinion. But really. When I'm using windows (or ubuntu), the only thing
I miss is the drop stack(**). I'd *almost* consider a bare-bones LCD
file manager which brought only a drop stack to windows and linux to be
worth the effort-- except then I'd keep having to switch over to an
entirely different program whenever I wanted to do permissions, since
Windows and Linux have /completely/ different permission models.

(**): The drop stack is a little corner of the window that you can drag
files onto. Then drag more files onto. Then drag more files onto. Then
you can navigate to another part of the system, and drag files off of
said stack, in a LIFO manner, moving them as a result of this action.

From: John Bokma on
Thomas Jollans <thomas(a)jollans.com> writes:

> On 07/11/2010 07:44 AM, rantingrick wrote:
>> On Jul 10, 10:59 pm, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
>> <luke.leigh...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> source at:http://github.com/lkcl/grailbrowser
>>>
>>> $ python grail.py (note the lack of "python1.5" or "python2.4")
>>>
>>> conversion of the 80 or so regex's to re has been carried out.
>>> entirely successfully or not is a matter yet to be determined. always
>>> a hoot to try browsinghttp://www.bbc.co.ukorhttp://www.youtube.com
>>> with a browser from 11+ years ago, it still cannot be resisted as
>>> grail is the only working graphical web browser in the world written
>>> in pure python [pybrowser is still in development, stalled].
>>>
>>> l.
>>
>> Congratulations on this effort Luke. However you know what project i
>> would really like to see the community get around? ...dramatic pause
>> here... a cross platform Python file browser! Yes i know there are
>> tons of them out there already and Python is a bit slow, but i think
>> it would be useful to many peoples.
>
> Cross platform file manager. Hmm. Does "cross platform" involve UNIX and
> something that isn't UNIX, say, Windows?
> Erm, no. No, no, no. It won't work. Well, it would work, but it wouldn't
> be any good. The UNIX and Windows concepts of "file system" are similar
> enough for most programs not to care too much, but for something like a
> file manager, that works intimately with the file system, trying to
> support both UNIX and Windows is NOT a good idea.

Can't think of why not. Of course not all operations are shared by each
OS, but /I/ know that I can't do chmod on Windows. But it doesn't mean
that on Windows I can't make a file only readable by me. Just give me
the Windows security options on Windows, and chmod on *nix and I would
be very happy. Especially if all can be done via a context menu a la
RISC OS.

--
John Bokma j3b

From: Fuzzyman on
On Jul 11, 5:16 pm, rantingrick <rantingr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 11, 9:01 am, a...(a)pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
>
> > As usual, you would rather tell other people what to do instead of doing
> > any work yourself.
>
> Dear God! My statement was intended to fetch responses like...
>
>   "Hey, that sounds like a great idea" or \
>   "Hey, lets get hacking on this".
>
> I am so sick of you people constantly accusing me of being lazy. You
> don't even know me. Also i think you're really a bit jealous because i
> have the brass cohones to initiate a coding project without your
> express written permission. I will not allow myself to be brow beaten
> by anyone!

But why hijack someone else's announcement to do that? Congratulations
alone would have been great. However good your intentions your message
came across as "but it would really have been better if you had been
doing something else instead...".

All the best,

Michael Foord
--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/
From: Martin P. Hellwig on
On 07/11/10 04:59, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> source at:
> http://github.com/lkcl/grailbrowser
>
> $ python grail.py (note the lack of "python1.5" or "python2.4")
>
> conversion of the 80 or so regex's to re has been carried out.
> entirely successfully or not is a matter yet to be determined. always
> a hoot to try browsing http://www.bbc.co.uk or http://www.youtube.com
> with a browser from 11+ years ago, it still cannot be resisted as
> grail is the only working graphical web browser in the world written
> in pure python [pybrowser is still in development, stalled].
>
> l.
Congrats!
Are you planning to take over the world with grail and pyjs? :-)

--
mph