From: MRAB on
John Bokma wrote:
> Thomas Jollans <thomas(a)jollans.com> writes:
>
>> On 07/11/2010 07:44 AM, rantingrick wrote:

>>> Congratulations on this effort Luke. However you know what project i
>>> would really like to see the community get around? ...dramatic pause
>>> here... a cross platform Python file browser! Yes i know there are
>>> tons of them out there already and Python is a bit slow, but i think
>>> it would be useful to many peoples.
>> Cross platform file manager. Hmm. Does "cross platform" involve UNIX and
>> something that isn't UNIX, say, Windows?
>> Erm, no. No, no, no. It won't work. Well, it would work, but it wouldn't
>> be any good. The UNIX and Windows concepts of "file system" are similar
>> enough for most programs not to care too much, but for something like a
>> file manager, that works intimately with the file system, trying to
>> support both UNIX and Windows is NOT a good idea.
>
> Can't think of why not. Of course not all operations are shared by each
> OS, but /I/ know that I can't do chmod on Windows. But it doesn't mean
> that on Windows I can't make a file only readable by me. Just give me
> the Windows security options on Windows, and chmod on *nix and I would
> be very happy.

On Windows the root folders of the different drives could be treated as
subfolders of a 'root' folder.

> Especially if all can be done via a context menu a la RISC OS.

Ah, RISC OS!

<rant>
I'd heard how user-friendly the Mac was, but when I was first introduced
to the Mac (circa MacOS 8) I was very surprised that even it still used
old-fashioned Open and Save dialog boxes with their own little file
browsers like on a Windows PC instead of drag-and-drop like I'd become
used to on RISC OS. And that menu bar not even at the top of the window
but at the top of the _screen_! And the way that bringing one Finder
window to the front brought _all_ the Finder windows in front of the
other windows! I was distinctly underwhelmed... :-(
</rant>
From: rantingrick on
On Jul 11, 11:31 am, Thomas Jollans <tho...(a)jollans.com> wrote:
> On 07/11/2010 07:44 AM, rantingrick wrote:

> > Congratulations on this effort Luke. However you know what project i
> > would really like to see the community get around? ...dramatic pause
> > here... a cross platform Python file browser!
>
> Cross platform file manager. Hmm. Does "cross platform" involve UNIX and
> something that isn't UNIX, say, Windows?
> Erm, no. No, no, no. It won't work....<snip>... trying to
> support both UNIX and Windows is NOT a good idea.

Why is that a bad idea, Python does it all the time? Many software so
it all the time. This sounds like more fear than anything.

If you attempt to be full-featured, keeping it in one
> code base, let alone in one user interface, is destined to be a
> nightmare and induce suicides.

Thats False!

> The above might have been very slightly exaggerated.

Thats True!

From: rantingrick on
On Jul 11, 11:57 am, Stephen Hansen <me+list/pyt...(a)ixokai.io> wrote:
> On 7/11/10 9:31 AM, Thomas Jollans wrote:
> > trying to
> > support both UNIX and Windows is NOT a good idea.
>
> And you can't lump the Mac in with "UNIX" here, even though it really is
> UNIX at the foundation, because there's some very fundamental
> differences between HFS+ (and some other details that are higher level)
> and more traditional unix FS's. Not to mention that the Mac FS situation
> is slightly schitzo since it has two very different ways at looking and
> treating the files, the posix way and the Foundation way... and users
> think more in terms of the latter, usually. At least less sophisticated
> users.

Sure you can! Have you ever heard of a *rare* module by the name of
"os"? Yes i know *nobody* uses it but it works nonetheless!

> You can't do a cross-platform file manager without either doing a huge
> amount of work exposing each platform separately-- essentially getting
> separate codebases for each-- or doing a least common denominator
> situation, at which point I boggle: why the hell did you bother to begin
> with? Even Finder is better then that, let alone windows' Explorer.

Nothing is worse than InternetExploder\Exploder, nothing! And whats
wrong with seperate code bases, it's three modules and a startup
script...

if sys.platform == 'win32':
import fm32
elif sys.platform == 'darwin':
import fmdarwin
elif sys.platform == 'nix':
import fmnix

We just recently had a discussion about CONDITIONALS Stephen have you
forgotten already?

> (*): I do not argue that a non-default file manager on an OS might be a
> great thing.

Now you're talking!

> (**): The drop stack is a little corner of the window that you can drag
> files onto. Then drag more files onto. Then drag more files onto. Then
> you can navigate to another part of the system, and drag files off of
> said stack, in a LIFO manner, moving them as a result of this action.

This drop stack sound interesting. I've always hated the cut paste as
you could not add to the cut buffer.
From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 18:31:39 +0200, Thomas Jollans wrote:

> Cross platform file manager. Hmm. Does "cross platform" involve UNIX and
> something that isn't UNIX, say, Windows? Erm, no. No, no, no. It won't
> work. Well, it would work, but it wouldn't be any good. The UNIX and
> Windows concepts of "file system" are similar enough for most programs
> not to care too much, but for something like a file manager, that works
> intimately with the file system, trying to support both UNIX and Windows
> is NOT a good idea.

Try telling that to the KDE people.

--
Steven
From: rantingrick on
On Jul 11, 5:28 pm, Fuzzyman <fuzzy...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> But why hijack someone else's announcement to do that? Congratulations
> alone would have been great. However good your intentions your message
> came across as "but it would really have been better if you had been
> doing something else instead...".

Micheal i think you're just simply projecting some inner feelings on
to my post resulting in a complete mis-understanding. And i *did not*
say the project was useless, on the contrary i am very happy the OP
resurrected this lost script. I only suggested a similar project that
the OP *may* find to be interesting. Maybe not, but lets leave the
decision for the OP, Ok.