From: rantingrick on
On Jul 11, 7:31 pm, Stephen Hansen <me+list/pyt...(a)ixokai.io> wrote:

You said about macs...
> Copying a file without the resource fork on a mac, *can* result in
> essential data being lost (This is less common then it used to be). As
> simple a task as chown/chmod for posix systems to take ownership of a
> file and make it only readable by you is actually a *deeply* complex
> task with the win32api.

And again...
> That's not even getting into the nitty-gritty details, like how Mac's
> are *usually* case-insensitive, windows is always, linux is almost
> always not, and yet some power users go out of their way to enable
> case-sensitivity on mac filesystems (which has a tendency to break all
> kinds of things).

And again...
> Oh, and a LOT of the filesystem-details and how you could go around
> handling them on a mac is *very* dependant on just what version of OSX
> you have. It changes a lot.

Well i've never used a mac and now i won't even bother for sure! But
if you want to maintain the macfman code base feel free.

> Selective quoting to make it sound like I'm agreeing in some way with
> you = jerkoff move.

*fakes throwing stick*
*dog runs to get stick but stick not there*

Who's smarter ;-)

From: Stephen Hansen on
On 7/11/10 6:10 PM, rantingrick wrote:
> On Jul 11, 7:31 pm, Stephen Hansen <me+list/pyt...(a)ixokai.io> wrote:
>
> You said about macs...
>> Copying a file without the resource fork on a mac, *can* result in
>> essential data being lost (This is less common then it used to be). As
>> simple a task as chown/chmod for posix systems to take ownership of a
>> file and make it only readable by you is actually a *deeply* complex
>> task with the win32api.
>
> And again...
>> That's not even getting into the nitty-gritty details, like how Mac's
>> are *usually* case-insensitive, windows is always, linux is almost
>> always not, and yet some power users go out of their way to enable
>> case-sensitivity on mac filesystems (which has a tendency to break all
>> kinds of things).
>
> And again...
>> Oh, and a LOT of the filesystem-details and how you could go around
>> handling them on a mac is *very* dependant on just what version of OSX
>> you have. It changes a lot.
>
> Well i've never used a mac and now i won't even bother for sure! But
> if you want to maintain the macfman code base feel free.

I like how you tried to cut out my commentary on Windows and its
difficulties and peculiarities, but you accidentally included it anyways
-- hint: read more then the first line of a paragraph.

My point stands.

And I take your non actually responding to my actual point as a
concession to it. With that, I'm signing off of this conversation.

Tah.

--

Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai

From: Fuzzyman on
On Jul 12, 1:21 am, rantingrick <rantingr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 11, 5:28 pm,Fuzzyman<fuzzy...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > But why hijack someone else's announcement to do that? Congratulations
> > alone would have been great. However good your intentions your message
> > came across as "but it would really have been better if you had been
> > doing something else instead...".
>
> Micheal i think you're just simply projecting some inner feelings on
> to my post resulting in a complete mis-understanding. And i *did not*
> say the project was useless, on the contrary i am very happy the OP
> resurrected this lost script. I only suggested a similar project that
> the OP *may* find to be interesting. Maybe not, but lets leave the
> decision for the OP, Ok.

Plenty of people have told you in multiple threads how you come
across. Eventually you have to realise that they aren't *all*
projecting... :-)

Michael
--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/
From: Thomas Jollans on
On 07/12/2010 01:44 AM, rantingrick wrote:
> On Jul 11, 11:31 am, Thomas Jollans <tho...(a)jollans.com> wrote:
>> On 07/11/2010 07:44 AM, rantingrick wrote:
>
>>> Congratulations on this effort Luke. However you know what project i
>>> would really like to see the community get around? ...dramatic pause
>>> here... a cross platform Python file browser!
>>
>> Cross platform file manager. Hmm. Does "cross platform" involve UNIX and
>> something that isn't UNIX, say, Windows?
>> Erm, no. No, no, no. It won't work....<snip>... trying to
>> support both UNIX and Windows is NOT a good idea.
>
> Why is that a bad idea, Python does it all the time? Many software so
> it all the time. This sounds like more fear than anything.

Python is not a file manager.

From: lkcl on
On Jul 11, 5:44 am, rantingrick <rantingr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 10:59 pm, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
>
> <luke.leigh...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > source at:http://github.com/lkcl/grailbrowser
>
> > $ python grail.py (note the lack of "python1.5" or "python2.4")
>
> > conversion of the 80 or so regex's to re has been carried out.
> > entirely successfully or not is a matter yet to be determined.  always
> > a hoot to try browsinghttp://www.bbc.co.ukorhttp://www.youtube.com
> > with a browser from 11+ years ago, it still cannot be resisted as
> > grail is the only working graphical web browser in the world written
> > in pure python [pybrowser is still in development, stalled].
>
> > l.
>
> Congratulations on this effort Luke. However you know what project i
> would really like to see the community get around? ...dramatic pause
> here... a cross platform Python file browser!

weeelll... you _could_ always just use grailbrowser :) it does still
support file:// so it lists directories, shows text files and
downloads anything it doesn't understand.

l.