From: The Natural Philosopher on
Geoff wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 11:09:46 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> spelling of invalid now correct ...
>
> Geoff
:-)

The only reason to not use entirely made up email addresses is that it
allegedly puts a load on the roor servers of whatever domain you use
serving requests for domains that don't exist.

..invalid is supposed to speedily return a null response without such
overload.

Not that DNS servers are really stressed..we used to run a couple of
thousand domains on a half dead 386 with about 64M of RAM..

So its all pedantic bullshit really.

From: Geoff on
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 13:29:11 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Geoff wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 11:09:46 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
>> <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> spelling of invalid now correct ...
>>
>> Geoff
>:-)
>
>The only reason to not use entirely made up email addresses is that it
>allegedly puts a load on the roor servers of whatever domain you use
>serving requests for domains that don't exist.
>
>.invalid is supposed to speedily return a null response without such
>overload.
>
>Not that DNS servers are really stressed..we used to run a couple of
>thousand domains on a half dead 386 with about 64M of RAM..
>
>So its all pedantic bullshit really.

OK!

Geoff
From: Dr_Kral on
>>Why not use .invalid domain instead?
>
>I did and was told that this was wrong by Dr_Kal !!

Geoff,

I said that <geoff(a)invalid.com> was a VALID e-mail address and therefore
you should not use it. Take a look at the home page of <invalid.com>

The domain <invalid.invalid> does not exist at the pressent.

Y.

From: The Natural Philosopher on
Dr_Kral(a)nyc.rr.com.invalid wrote:
>>> Why not use .invalid domain instead?
>> I did and was told that this was wrong by Dr_Kal !!
>
> Geoff,
>
> I said that <geoff(a)invalid.com> was a VALID e-mail address and therefore
> you should not use it. Take a look at the home page of <invalid.com>
>
> The domain <invalid.invalid> does not exist at the pressent.
>
> Y.

I think its guaranteed to *never* exist actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.invalid

To the extent that a resolver can reject it without having to look it up.

Anyone registering invalid.com, deserves all the traffic they get IMHO.

can alwatys use disabled.com instead. ;-)
From: Daniel Weber on
Am 20.03.2010 14:29, schrieb The Natural Philosopher:
> So its all pedantic bullshit really.

Not really, but the matter isn't DNS, the matter is that somebody [1]
will receive bounces, when you use a faked/forged address, so you reduce
your spam but increase somebody elses spam.

But that is all off topic here.

Bye,
Daniel

[1] The spammer usually won't use it own e-mail-address as sender.