From: pemt on
how to make a table with 10 million rows in one column?

Num
1
2
3
..
..
..
10,000,000

thanks,

pemt
From: KARL DEWEY on
WHY!
--
Build a little, test a little.

From: John W. Vinson on
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:44:01 -0700, pemt <pemt(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>how to make a table with 10 million rows in one column?
>
>Num
>1
>2
>3
>.
>.
>.
>10,000,000
>
>thanks,
>
>pemt

Start with a table NUM with 1000 rows, with one field N, values 0 through 999.
You can use Excel... Insert... Fill Series to create it quickly, and copy and
paste into a table. Then create a Cartesian join query

INSERT INTO bigtable(Num)
SELECT 1 + N1 + 1000 * N2 + 1000000 * N3
FROM Num AS N1, Num AS N2, Num AS N3
WHERE N3 < 10;

Lots of other ways to do it but this should be quick and easy.

Compact the database when you're done...
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Jeff Boyce on
?Simple or harder?

Simple: Open Excel. Start numbering (down) 1 (down) 2 (down) 3. Highlight
these and extend as far as you can go.
Copy that into Access.
Repeat, starting at next number, until you reach 10M.

Harder: Create a procedure in Access that inserts a record/number, adds
one, inserts (another), repeats until 10M.

Now, why? What will having a table with 10M rows numbered 1 - 10,000,000
allow you to do?

(I ask because there may be a MUCH simpler way to accomplish what you want,
if we only knew what that was...)

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

From: Douglas J. Steele on
Just a note that you can only do the simple approach if you're using Excel
2007 (or newer)

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele