From: Rod Speed on
cpliu wrote:

> 1TB and 500TB work fine on this PC running Windows XP SP2.
> It also dual-boot to Windows 7. Both are 32-bit.
> Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+

Looks like its the bridge in the external case thats the problem.

From: cpliu on

> Looks like its the bridge in the external case thats the problem.
Does that mean it's impossible to mount that drive on this PC. The
same case with 500GB HD works fine with this system. 2TB also works on
another Vista laptop. Should I try install Windows XP 64-bit on the
system to see if it works there?

Thanks for the info,

From: Rod Speed on
cpliu wrote:

>> Looks like its the bridge in the external case thats the problem.

> Does that mean it's impossible to mount that drive on this PC.

That varys with what that external case presents to the PC with
that drive in the case. If it doesnt show the PC any drive at all,
obviously there is nothing anything done on the PC can do about that.

> The same case with 500GB HD works fine with this system.

And a 1TB drive too, you said previously.

> 2TB also works on another Vista laptop.

You havent said that previously. That is crucial information.

That is the evidence that is NOT a problem with the bridge in the external case.

> Should I try install Windows XP 64-bit on the system to see if it works there?

Wouldnt do any harm to try that if you can image the current install
so you can just restore that image if it makes no difference.

Or you could just try Win7, likely that would work if Vista can see the 2TB drive in that case.

From: Lynn McGuire on
> I tried to mount drive but it can't see this SATA inside a external
> USB case. Is there a driver I need to install in order to see it?

Does this 2 TB hard drive have the new 4K sectors ?

If so, you may need to jumper the hard drive:
http://consumer.media.seagate.com/2010/03/the-digital-den/4k-sector-hard-drive-primer/
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/WhitePapers/ENG/2579-771430.pdf

Lynn

From: cpliu on
On Jun 11, 12:05 pm, Lynn McGuire <l...(a)winsim.com> wrote:
> > I tried to mount drive but it can't see this SATA inside a external
> > USB case. Is there a driver I need to install in order to see it?
>
> Does this 2 TB hard drive have the new 4K sectors ?

I don't know. I got it late last year. I formatted it as NTFS and used
it on a Vista laptop until I need to mount it on my other Win XP
desktop.

thanks,