From: Arno on
Lynn McGuire <lmc(a)winsim.com> wrote:
>>> Does this 2 TB hard drive have the new 4K sectors ?
>>
>>> If so, you may need to jumper the hard drive:
>>
>> That cant be the problem given that the external drive works fine on Vista systems.

> It is my understanding that Win 7 and Vista understand the new 4K
> sector hard drives. XP does not but the drives are "supposed" to
> have a compatibility mode. The compatibility mode did not work for
> me on a Windows 2003 server pc for a 1.5 TB internal hard drive.

Actually they are supposed to be shipped with the compatibility
mode fixed to "on", i.e. completely transparent to the OS,
except for potentially bad performance.

What issues did you run into? Anything besides bad performance?

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Lynn McGuire on
> Actually they are supposed to be shipped with the compatibility
> mode fixed to "on", i.e. completely transparent to the OS,
> except for potentially bad performance.

That is my understanding also.

> What issues did you run into? Anything besides bad performance?

Very similar to the OP. My Windows Server 2003 pc could not
see the drive whereas it could see an older 1.5TB with the 512
byte sectors.

Lynn
From: Arno on
Lynn McGuire <lmc(a)winsim.com> wrote:
>> Actually they are supposed to be shipped with the compatibility
>> mode fixed to "on", i.e. completely transparent to the OS,
>> except for potentially bad performance.

> That is my understanding also.

>> What issues did you run into? Anything besides bad performance?

> Very similar to the OP. My Windows Server 2003 pc could not
> see the drive whereas it could see an older 1.5TB with the 512
> byte sectors.

Interesting. That should not happen, but shows that the 512 Byte
emulation is flawed in more ways than regarding performance.

Arno

From: Lynn McGuire on
>> Very similar to the OP. My Windows Server 2003 pc could not
>> see the drive whereas it could see an older 1.5TB with the 512
>> byte sectors.
>
> Interesting. That should not happen, but shows that the 512 Byte
> emulation is flawed in more ways than regarding performance.

BTW, that WD 1.5 TB 4K sector caviar green drive failed on me
after I wrote about 30 GB to it using my windows 7 x64 pc. So,
there may have been something else going on with it and it was
slowly dying.

Lynn
From: Arno on
Lynn McGuire <lmc(a)winsim.com> wrote:
>>> Very similar to the OP. My Windows Server 2003 pc could not
>>> see the drive whereas it could see an older 1.5TB with the 512
>>> byte sectors.
>>
>> Interesting. That should not happen, but shows that the 512 Byte
>> emulation is flawed in more ways than regarding performance.

> BTW, that WD 1.5 TB 4K sector caviar green drive failed on me
> after I wrote about 30 GB to it using my windows 7 x64 pc. So,
> there may have been something else going on with it and it was
> slowly dying.

Hmm, yes. Quite possible.

Arno