From: N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc) on
Dear eric gisse:

"eric gisse" <jowr.pi.nospam(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> dlzc wrote:
> [...]
>
>> You hyperboilically fly around a black hole within (I believe)
>> 3M and
>
> Last stable orbit.

Photon sphere is 3M. Last stable orbit for matter is 6M.

> Arbitrary acceleration can let you get arbitrarily close
> to r = 2M.

If you choose a different coordinate system. This leaves you
still 1M out from the event horizon.

http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/orbit.html
.... "3 down to 1.5" Schwarzchild radii (Sr), where I have the Sr
at 2M. So 6M down to 3M is unstable, meaning you are going in or
leaving with thrust properly applied.

David A. Smith

From: Tom Roberts on
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc) wrote:
> "eric gisse" <jowr.pi.nospam(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> dlzc wrote:
>>> You hyperboilically fly around a black hole within (I believe)
>>> 3M and
>> Last stable orbit.
>
> Photon sphere is 3M. Last stable orbit for matter is 6M.

[This is all for a Schwarzschild black hole. r is the
usual Schw. coordinate.]

There is an unstable circular null geodesic at r=3M that orbits the
black hole, which might be what you are trying to say, but "photon
sphere" does not mean that to me. What I would call the "photon sphere"
is right at the horizon, r=2M -- that is, outgoing light at the horizon
remains at the horizon (an unstable situation).

The smallest stable timelike orbit is indeed at r=6M, and I'm pretty
sure it is true that if an ORBIT goes inside r=6M it will destabilize
and fall in or fly away. But there are hyperbolic-like timelike
trajectories that come in from far away, approach between r=3M and r=6M,
and then leave; these are not orbits, and none come closer than r=3M.

It is also true that any timelike or null geodesic that comes from far
away and gets below r=3M will enter the horizon (in some cases it can
circle the horizon several times before entering). But light that is
headed outward and emitted by a timelike object from 2M<r<3M will get
away; that's different from light coming in from far away.

>> Arbitrary acceleration can let you get arbitrarily close
>> to r = 2M.
>
> If you choose a different coordinate system. This leaves you
> still 1M out from the event horizon.

Not really. The horizon is at r=2M. Coordinate choice has nothing
whatsoever to do with the locus of the horizon or the location a given
spaceship is able to hover outside it with a given thrust [#]. With
arbitrarily-high thrust, a spaceship could hover arbitrarily close to
the horizon at r=2M. This is an unstable situation if its r is close to 2M.

[#] Coordinate choice only affects your DESCRIPTION, not
the physical situation.

> http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/orbit.html

Hmmm. This page says "The orbit at 2 Schwarzschild radii corresponds to
zero kinetic energy at infinity, so it is possible to fall freely into
this orbit from infinity without rocket power." -- this is wrong, and it
is NOT possible to enter an orbit at ANY radius without thrusting, when
one starts from infinity and is free-falling [@]. Here by "orbit" I mean
a trajectory with a permanent spatial path circling the black hole.

This is easy to see, as the spatial path of any timelike
geodesic can be traversed in the opposite direction,
within the region outside the horizon -- an incoming
trajectory that falls into into an orbit, when reversed,
would mean it is not an orbit.

[@] And gravitational radiation is neglected, as for
test particles like rocket ships compared to stars.

Tom Roberts
From: "Juan R." González-Álvarez on
Tom Roberts wrote on Thu, 01 Oct 2009 23:53:35 -0500:

(...)

> [This is all for a Schwarzschild black hole. r is the
> usual Schw. coordinate.]

(...)

>>> Arbitrary acceleration can let you get arbitrarily close to r = 2M.
>>
>> If you choose a different coordinate system. This leaves you still 1M
>> out from the event horizon.
>
> Not really. The horizon is at r=2M. Coordinate choice has nothing
> whatsoever to do with the locus of the horizon or the location a given
> spaceship is able to hover outside it with a given thrust [#].

As you point above r denotes the "Schw. coordinate". It is possible to
introduce other coordinates and then the horizon is not at 2M but at
a different place. Concretely renormalized coordinates give r=1M and
r=2M is just 1M away from the horizon.

Notice this renormalized r is not the Schwarzschild r. Don't get confused
by symbols Tom!

--
http://www.canonicalscience.org/

BLOG:
http://www.canonicalscience.org/en/publicationzone/canonicalsciencetoday/canonicalsciencetoday.html
From: dlzc on
Dear eric gisse

On Oct 1, 4:37 pm, eric gisse <jowr.pi.nos...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> dlzc wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > You hyperboilically fly around a black hole within
> > (I believe) 3M and
>
> Last stable orbit.

No. With the event horizon at 2M (as previously described in this
thread), the closest possible stable orbit for matter is 6M.

> Arbitrary acceleration can let you get arbitrarily
> close to r = 2M.

You mangled the original newsgroup listing, so Tom's excellent and
thorough response did not make it on the sci.astro branch of this
thread. Please be careful how you apply Occam's razor here...

David A. Smith
From: Tom Roberts on
Juan R. González-Álvarez wrote:
> Tom Roberts wrote on Thu, 01 Oct 2009 23:53:35 -0500:
>> [This is all for a Schwarzschild black hole. r is the
>> usual Schw. coordinate.]
>> The horizon is at r=2M. Coordinate choice has nothing
>> whatsoever to do with the locus of the horizon or the location a given
>> spaceship is able to hover outside it with a given thrust [#].
>
> As you point above r denotes the "Schw. coordinate". It is possible to
> introduce other coordinates and then the horizon is not at 2M but at
> a different place.

You use words in an unusual way -- this is not a different "place"
(which denotes location in the manifold), but rather a different VALUE
OF "r" corresponding to THE SAME PLACE IN THE MANIFOLD. Using different
coordinates does NOT "move" the horizon, or make it be at a "different
place", it makes the (fixed) locus of the horizon be at a DIFFERENT
VALUE OF THE COORDINATE YOU HAPPEN TO LABEL WITH THE SAME SYMBOL, "r".

> Concretely renormalized coordinates give r=1M and
> r=2M is just 1M away from the horizon.

Sure -- you can "renormalize" coordinates however you wish. Another
well-known set of coordinates puts the horizon at r=0. But that is
IRRELEVANT to what I said, as my statements all used the Schw. r, not
any of these other ones.

> Notice this renormalized r is not the Schwarzschild r. Don't get confused
> by symbols Tom!

It is not I who is confused here.

Tom Roberts