From: DanP on
On Feb 12, 12:39 pm, Peter Huebner <no....(a)this.address> wrote:
> If I understand right what I've been reading in various reviews and
> guides, cameras like the D60 or D200 will display a little 'in focus'
> light in the viewfinder when you're using manual focussing, even when
> using unrelated manual lenses with an adapter (one guy was talking about
> using his Leica lenses that way).
>
> I've gleaned little indication if this will also work with cameras like
> the 450D, the 500D or the 50D.
>
> Can anyone confirm or deny? I'd rather know before I go out and buy
> anything ;-)
>
> cheers,  -P.

True for 500D.

I take my lens in manual mode, then move forward/backward a bit and
the focus light in my viewfinder informs me focus is set.

DanP
From: Bruce on
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 01:39:08 +1300, Peter Huebner
<no.one(a)this.address> wrote:

>If I understand right what I've been reading in various reviews and
>guides, cameras like the D60 or D200 will display a little 'in focus'
>light in the viewfinder when you're using manual focussing, even when
>using unrelated manual lenses with an adapter (one guy was talking about
>using his Leica lenses that way).
>
>I've gleaned little indication if this will also work with cameras like
>the 450D, the 500D or the 50D.
>
>Can anyone confirm or deny? I'd rather know before I go out and buy
>anything ;-)

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is, it depends.

If you are using Canon EF lenses, or independent brand lenses with a
Canon EF mount, you will get focus conformation when focusing
manually.

However, if you use another brand of lens with an adapter to the EF
mount, you will not get focus conformation. You can pay more for an
adapter with an electronic chip that will operate focus confirmation.

To obtain the most accurate manual focusing, it is worth buying a
special focusing screen that is optimised for manual focus. I have
used screens from KatzEye in three Canon DSLRs and one Nikon DSLR, and
they are excellent.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--Canon-40D-50D-Focusing-Screen--prod_40D.html