From: jim evans on

I have owned about 5 different memory card readers used with 4
computers and 6 reinstalls of XP Pro and a dozen+ memory cards. All
of these combinations have been intermittent. That is, sometimes when
you put the card in the reader the pictures don't appear. I remove
the card and reinsert it and usually the pictures are there this
second time.

Why is this? It's very annoying.
From: Gary Edstrom on
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:06:36 -0600, jim evans
<jimsTAKEOUTnews2(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>I have owned about 5 different memory card readers used with 4
>computers and 6 reinstalls of XP Pro and a dozen+ memory cards. All
>of these combinations have been intermittent. That is, sometimes when
>you put the card in the reader the pictures don't appear. I remove
>the card and reinsert it and usually the pictures are there this
>second time.
>
>Why is this? It's very annoying.

Sorry I can't help. I have had just the opposite experience. Several
different card readers on 3 different computers and never a problem.

Gary
From: Allen on
On 2/12/2010 11:19 AM, Gary Edstrom wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:06:36 -0600, jim evans
> <jimsTAKEOUTnews2(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> I have owned about 5 different memory card readers used with 4
>> computers and 6 reinstalls of XP Pro and a dozen+ memory cards. All
>> of these combinations have been intermittent. That is, sometimes when
>> you put the card in the reader the pictures don't appear. I remove
>> the card and reinsert it and usually the pictures are there this
>> second time.
>>
>> Why is this? It's very annoying.
>
> Sorry I can't help. I have had just the opposite experience. Several
> different card readers on 3 different computers and never a problem.
>
> Gary
My experience is the same as Gary's. I paid about $5 for my famous "Made
in China" brand reader four or five years ago and it has performed very
well on 3 different computers, reading both CF and SD cards. Won't read
SDHC, of course.
Allen
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:06:36 -0600, jim evans
<jimsTAKEOUTnews2(a)comcast.net> wrote in
<u32bn5tcaqo00f2ahfs7io0j157v48r8ak(a)4ax.com>:

>I have owned about 5 different memory card readers used with 4
>computers and 6 reinstalls of XP Pro and a dozen+ memory cards. All
>of these combinations have been intermittent. That is, sometimes when
>you put the card in the reader the pictures don't appear. I remove
>the card and reinsert it and usually the pictures are there this
>second time.
>
>Why is this? It's very annoying.

Are you complaining about (1) Autoplay or (2) reading functionality.
1. Autoplay won't always work depending on a number of factors.
2. A decent reader should always be able to read decent cards.
I use and recommend genuine SanDisk readers and cards. Never a problem.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: U. Link on

"Allen" <allent(a)austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> On 2/12/2010 11:19 AM, Gary Edstrom wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:06:36 -0600, jim evans
>> <jimsTAKEOUTnews2(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>> I have owned about 5 different memory card readers used with 4
>>> computers and 6 reinstalls of XP Pro and a dozen+ memory cards. All
>>> of these combinations have been intermittent. That is, sometimes when
>>> you put the card in the reader the pictures don't appear. I remove
>>> the card and reinsert it and usually the pictures are there this
>>> second time.
>>>
>>> Why is this? It's very annoying.
>>
>> Sorry I can't help. I have had just the opposite experience. Several
>> different card readers on 3 different computers and never a problem.
>>
>> Gary
> My experience is the same as Gary's. I paid about $5 for my famous "Made
> in China" brand reader four or five years ago and it has performed very
> well on 3 different computers, reading both CF and SD cards. Won't read
> SDHC, of course.
> Allen

The security sevices provided by my isp make my card readers work
intermittently only and prevent the autorun on CDs and DVDs
from functioning most of the time.
Fortunately that is not too much of a problem because I rarely use my photo
computer on the internet.
Just as an aside; my slide scanner does not work properly either when the
security program is running.

Olie