From: John Navas on
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 18:08:09 GMT, "U. Link" <not.iul(a)telus.net> wrote in
<dOgdn.63552$Db2.50274(a)edtnps83>:

>The security sevices provided by my isp make my card readers work
>intermittently only and prevent the autorun on CDs and DVDs
>from functioning most of the time.
>Fortunately that is not too much of a problem because I rarely use my photo
>computer on the internet.
>Just as an aside; my slide scanner does not work properly either when the
>security program is running.

Get thee a better security program. Seriously.
I currently use and recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
jim evans <jimsTAKEOUTnews2(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> I have owned about 5 different memory card readers used with 4
> computers and 6 reinstalls of XP Pro and a dozen+ memory cards. All
> of these combinations have been intermittent.

> Why is this? It's very annoying.

Since I use card readers and cards and computers without problems,
but don't use Windows, it must be Windows ...
Of course, it *could* be a bad USB-cable ...

-Wolfgang
From: jim evans on
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:07:57 -0800, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>Are you complaining about (1) Autoplay or (2) reading functionality.
>1. Autoplay won't always work depending on a number of factors.

I assume Autoplay is the feature that pops up a window asking what I
want to do after I insert the card. When composing the message I
tried to remember the relationship between Autoplay and card
readability, but I can't remember with certainty. I don't use the
Autoplay feature and always just knock it down. I use a batch file
to copy the pictures to my working folder. However, I also have a
shortcut to the folder on the card that I check if the batch file
doesn't work.

Vaguely, it seems if the Autoplay pops up the likelihood the card is
readable is increased but not certain.
From: jim evans on
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 18:20:32 +0000, Wolfgang Weisselberg
<ozcvgtt02(a)sneakemail.com> wrote:

>Of course, it *could* be a bad USB-cable ...

Hmm. . . I hadn't considered that possibility. I know I've used at
least two different cables but . . .
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:26:30 -0600, jim evans
<jimsTAKEOUTnews2(a)comcast.net> wrote in
<4u9bn55k7am74ig8461autgfj6vkrtmf4a(a)4ax.com>:

>On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:07:57 -0800, John Navas
><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>Are you complaining about (1) Autoplay or (2) reading functionality.
>>1. Autoplay won't always work depending on a number of factors.
>
>I assume Autoplay is the feature that pops up a window asking what I
>want to do after I insert the card.

Correct. Windows doesn't always do a good job of detecting new media
and launching the Autoplay dialog.