From: Peter on
"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:06:36 -0600, jim evans
> <jimsTAKEOUTnews2(a)comcast.net> wrote in
> <u32bn5tcaqo00f2ahfs7io0j157v48r8ak(a)4ax.com>:
>
>>I have owned about 5 different memory card readers used with 4
>>computers and 6 reinstalls of XP Pro and a dozen+ memory cards. All
>>of these combinations have been intermittent. That is, sometimes when
>>you put the card in the reader the pictures don't appear. I remove
>>the card and reinsert it and usually the pictures are there this
>>second time.
>>
>>Why is this? It's very annoying.
>
> Are you complaining about (1) Autoplay or (2) reading functionality.
> 1. Autoplay won't always work depending on a number of factors.
> 2. A decent reader should always be able to read decent cards.
> I use and recommend genuine SanDisk readers and cards. Never a problem.

I have used one named Dazzle for CF cards, with no issues for over five
years.

--
Peter

From: Laurence Payne on
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:54:39 -0600, Allen <allent(a)austin.rr.com>
wrote:

>My experience is the same as Gary's. I paid about $5 for my famous "Made
>in China" brand reader four or five years ago and it has performed very
>well on 3 different computers, reading both CF and SD cards. Won't read
>SDHC, of course.

No. You'll have to pay $5 NOW for one that will.
From: Laurence Payne on
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 18:08:09 GMT, "U. Link" <not.iul(a)telus.net> wrote:

>The security sevices provided by my isp make my card readers work
>intermittently only and prevent the autorun on CDs and DVDs
>from functioning most of the time.
>Fortunately that is not too much of a problem because I rarely use my photo
>computer on the internet.
>Just as an aside; my slide scanner does not work properly either when the
>security program is running.

Sounds like a very intrusive security program. Why not dump it?
Windows Security Essentials is perfectly adequate.
From: Laurence Payne on
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:26:30 -0600, jim evans
<jimsTAKEOUTnews2(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>I assume Autoplay is the feature that pops up a window asking what I
>want to do after I insert the card. When composing the message I
>tried to remember the relationship between Autoplay and card
>readability, but I can't remember with certainty. I don't use the
>Autoplay feature and always just knock it down. I use a batch file
>to copy the pictures to my working folder. However, I also have a
>shortcut to the folder on the card that I check if the batch file
>doesn't work.

Sounds like an unnecessarily complicated procedure! Why not just
accept the Autoplay invitation to view the files and drag them to your
desired location?
From: Tim Conway on

"Frank ess" <frank(a)fshe2fs.com> wrote in message

> thepixelfreak wrote:
>> On 2010-02-12 09:06:36 -0800, jim evans
>> <jimsTAKEOUTnews2(a)comcast.net> said:
>>>
>>> I have owned about 5 different memory card readers used with 4
>>> computers and 6 reinstalls of XP Pro and a dozen+ memory cards. All of
>>> these combinations have been intermittent. That is,
>>> sometimes when you put the card in the reader the pictures don't
>>> appear. I remove the card and reinsert it and usually the
>>> pictures are there this second time.
>>>
>>> Why is this? It's very annoying.
>>
>> You might want to look at the computer. There's not much inside a
>> card reader.
>
> I have a firewire card reader that once in twenty tries didn't seem to
> notify the computer a card had been inserted. Of those "didn't answer"
> episodes, reinserting the card almost always woke it up. A few times it
> required disconnecting the data cable and letting Windows re-install it.
>
> I made it a habit to use the "Eject" feature in the windows directory
> display, and since then, the
> "Doesn't Answer" occurs once in a hundred or so instances.

Using that "Eject" feature also prevents the card from being withdrawn while
it is still being written to (which might damage it or the data). It's a
good habit to get into.