From: ray on
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:06:36 -0600, jim evans wrote:

> I have owned about 5 different memory card readers used with 4 computers
> and 6 reinstalls of XP Pro and a dozen+ memory cards. All of these
> combinations have been intermittent. That is, sometimes when you put
> the card in the reader the pictures don't appear. I remove the card
> and reinsert it and usually the pictures are there this second time.
>
> Why is this? It's very annoying.

My first guess would be that the problem is MS. It would be very easy for
you to boot a Linux Live CD - it won't do anything to your current setup
- it will boot and run from the CD (or DVD). If the same problem
persists, then it's most likely a hardware issue - if not . . .
From: thepixelfreak on
On 2010-02-12 09:06:36 -0800, jim evans <jimsTAKEOUTnews2(a)comcast.net> said:

> I have owned about 5 different memory card readers used with 4
> computers and 6 reinstalls of XP Pro and a dozen+ memory cards. All
> of these combinations have been intermittent. That is, sometimes when
> you put the card in the reader the pictures don't appear. I remove
> the card and reinsert it and usually the pictures are there this
> second time.
>
> Why is this? It's very annoying.

You might want to look at the computer. There's not much inside a card reader.
--

thepixelfreak

From: N on

"jim evans" <jimsTAKEOUTnews2(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 18:20:32 +0000, Wolfgang Weisselberg
> <ozcvgtt02(a)sneakemail.com> wrote:
>
>>Of course, it *could* be a bad USB-cable ...
>
> Hmm. . . I hadn't considered that possibility. I know I've used at
> least two different cables but . . .

You said you've done lots of reinstalls of the OS. How old is the hardware?
Have reseated the internal USB cables on the motherboard?

From: Frank ess on

thepixelfreak wrote:
> On 2010-02-12 09:06:36 -0800, jim evans
> <jimsTAKEOUTnews2(a)comcast.net> said:
>>
>> I have owned about 5 different memory card readers used with 4
>> computers and 6 reinstalls of XP Pro and a dozen+ memory cards.
>> All of these combinations have been intermittent. That is,
>> sometimes when you put the card in the reader the pictures don't
>> appear. I remove the card and reinsert it and usually the
>> pictures are there this second time.
>>
>> Why is this? It's very annoying.
>
> You might want to look at the computer. There's not much inside a
> card reader.

I have a firewire card reader that once in twenty tries didn't seem to
notify the computer a card had been inserted. Of those "didn't answer"
episodes, reinserting the card almost always woke it up. A few times
it required disconnecting the data cable and letting Windows
re-install it.

I made it a habit to use the "Eject" feature in the windows directory
display, and since then, the
"Doesn't Answer" occurs once in a hundred or so instances.

--
Frank ess

From: Peter on
"U. Link" <not.iul(a)telus.net> wrote in message

> "Allen" <allent(a)austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>> On 2/12/2010 11:19 AM, Gary Edstrom wrote:

>>> Sorry I can't help. I have had just the opposite experience. Several
>>> different card readers on 3 different computers and never a problem.
>>>
>>> Gary
>> My experience is the same as Gary's. I paid about $5 for my famous "Made
>> in China" brand reader four or five years ago and it has performed very
>> well on 3 different computers, reading both CF and SD cards. Won't read
>> SDHC, of course.
>> Allen
>
> The security sevices provided by my isp make my card readers work
> intermittently only and prevent the autorun on CDs and DVDs
> from functioning most of the time.
> Fortunately that is not too much of a problem because I rarely use my
> photo computer on the internet.
> Just as an aside; my slide scanner does not work properly either when the
> security program is running.

Some programs, especially those of the Norton ilk, interfere with many
programs and devices.
Which one is it? I use AVG with no such issues.

--
Peter