From: Richard Tobin on
In article <1h415to.10dvtzj8aozo2N%real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk>,
D.M. Procida <real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:

>I don't know exactly what Google Maps displays as its image, but I do
>know that whatever it is it doesn't seem possible to copy the image.
>What is it, and how does the browser display it?

The map is made up of a number of tiles (as you can see when you
scroll to a new area). These are PNG images, and they are loaded by
javascript in response to your scrolling and zooming and so on.

You can find them in your browser cache, but Safari seems to stick a
lot of junk on the start of each file. If you delete everything
before the character before the string "PNG" you will get the real
file, but it's much easier with Firefox which stores the file as-is.
You'll need to rename them them to something.png to get Preview to
open them.

>Can Explorer for Windows copy it, by any chance?

I refer you to the answer Marvin gave when asked whether he had
any gratitude circuits.

-- Richard
From: Andy Hewitt on
Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

[Snipped Text]

> > The Goodle map is not one image, but a lot a smaller images knitted
> > together. If you click on the satelite view, you can see this more
> > clearly.
>
> The images might be referenced via CSS, which Safari won't let you
> right-click on. Time for a screen shot...

It doesn't work on Window IE either, and I don't know how to do a
screenshot in Windows.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Civic: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
From: Richard Tobin on
In article <di4430$3j5$1(a)pc-news.cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, I wrote:

>You can find them in your browser cache, but Safari seems to stick a
>lot of junk on the start of each file. If you delete everything
>before the character before the string "PNG" you will get the real
>file, but it's much easier with Firefox which stores the file as-is.

If you look at "Page Info" in Firefox you can find the URLs. They're
things like

http://mt.google.com/mt?x=2046&y=1360&zoom=5&v=w2.5&n=404

x, y, and zoom are fairly clear but not all combinations work.

There must be comprehensive information about this from someone who's
reverse-engineered it. Try Google.

-- Richard

From: Ben Lings on
> I don't know exactly what Google Maps displays as its image, but I do
know that whatever it is it doesn't seem possible to copy the image.
What is it, and how does the browser display it?

This is why Apple gave us the Activity window (cmd + opt + A). Open it
up, find the picture, double click it to open it in a new window...

From: Chris Ridd on
On 6/10/05 10:22, in article 1h417cc.1vduiws2tgyuqN%hairy.biker(a)gmail.com,
"Andy Hewitt" <hairy.biker(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:
>
> [Snipped Text]
>
>>> The Goodle map is not one image, but a lot a smaller images knitted
>>> together. If you click on the satelite view, you can see this more
>>> clearly.
>>
>> The images might be referenced via CSS, which Safari won't let you
>> right-click on. Time for a screen shot...
>
> It doesn't work on Window IE either, and I don't know how to do a
> screenshot in Windows.

Hit the Print Screen key. Various additional keys (shift, alt, etc) change
it from whole screen to window to (etc), and I can never remember which one
:-)

The image is put on the clipboard.

Cheers,

Chris