From: David on
In article <4b3ef374$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>,
"me here" <gloaming_agnet(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> SolomonW wrote:
>
> > I do some travel in the bush. Because it is not continuous, I prefer
> > to prepay my mobile internet. In every trip, I tend to use quite a
> > bit.
> >
> > Now I am with Telstra mobile. I have no complaints about the service
> > and/or the coverage, but I do find it expensive. It costs me between
> > $60-$100 for each trip. At the end of the year after three or four
> > trips I am up for $300.
> >
> > If I went with Optus, a year would cost me about $260. The problem is
> > I am not sure if they have the coverage. If I go with Virgin mobile
> > broadband, who claims to use the Optus network it would be about $150
> > a year.
> >
> > Anyone tried these in the bush and what do you think?

I live in the 'bush', only 50km from the largest inland city - there is
no Optus coverage at all - just NextG

So if you were thinking of going 'outback' as far as the Riverina give
Optus a miss.

David - accurate statement, but rather tongue in cheek
From: SolomonW on
On 2 Jan 2010 18:19:16 +1100, me here wrote:

> SolomonW wrote:
>
>> I do some travel in the bush. Because it is not continuous, I prefer
>> to prepay my mobile internet. In every trip, I tend to use quite a
>> bit.
>>
>> Now I am with Telstra mobile. I have no complaints about the service
>> and/or the coverage, but I do find it expensive. It costs me between
>> $60-$100 for each trip. At the end of the year after three or four
>> trips I am up for $300.
>>
>> If I went with Optus, a year would cost me about $260. The problem is
>> I am not sure if they have the coverage. If I go with Virgin mobile
>> broadband, who claims to use the Optus network it would be about $150
>> a year.
>>
>> Anyone tried these in the bush and what do you think?
>

> Try posting this question in Whirlpool discussions.
>
> They deal with broadband issues and generally give good advice.
>
> http://whirlpool.net.au/
>
> Rob

Nothing wrong with what I am getting here.
From: SolomonW on
On 2 Jan 2010 20:37:07 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> SolomonW <SolomonW(a)nospammail.com> wrote:
>> I do some travel in the bush. Because it is not continuous, I prefer to
>> prepay my mobile internet. In every trip, I tend to use quite a bit.
>>
>> Now I am with Telstra mobile. I have no complaints about the service and/or
>> the coverage, but I do find it expensive. It costs me between $60-$100 for
>> each trip. At the end of the year after three or four trips I am up for
>> $300.
>>
>> If I went with Optus, a year would cost me about $260. The problem is I am
>> not sure if they have the coverage. If I go with Virgin mobile broadband,
>> who claims to use the Optus network it would be about $150 a year.
>>
>> Anyone tried these in the bush and what do you think?
>
> Forget it with anything non-Telstra. While I did *use* Telstra, I
> often *checked* if there was any other coverage. There wasn't (except,
> as another poster mentioned, in *some* of the bigger towns).

I should have checked too.

> Just look at Telstra's coverage maps and those of others and you'll
> see for yourself. If you know, roughly, where you're going, you can
> pre-check on the on-line (with zoom) coverage maps whether or not there
> is coverage. There often is, also in small towns/communities, especially
> in/near Aboriginal communities. We did 14,000 km in 3 months, mostly
> 'dirt' roads, and non-Telstra just didn't exist, period.
>
> BTW, which bundle(s) did you use and how much did you use?

I used the prepaid $100 and $60 plans. The amounts are really much more
then I need but the pricing scale Telstra have for much less then $60 is
not worth it.

From: Frank Slootweg on
SolomonW <SolomonW(a)nospammail.com> wrote:
> On 2 Jan 2010 20:37:07 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:
[...]

> > BTW, which bundle(s) did you use and how much did you use?
>
> I used the prepaid $100 and $60 plans. The amounts are really much more
> then I need but the pricing scale Telstra have for much less then $60 is
> not worth it.

AFAICT, you're talking about (Pre-Paid) "Wireless Broadband" [1]. If
so, $60 is 750 MB at 8 cents/MB and $100 is 6 GB at 1.65 cents/MB.

I used my (Telstra T6) mobile *phone* as a modem. That way you can use
the Browse Plus Packs, which are a little more expensive per MB, but
start at much smaller amounts:

$10 for 100 MB, i.e. 10 cents/MB
$59 for 750 MB, i.e. ~8 cents/MB (i.e. same as for "Wireless Broadband")

[There's also $29 for 200 MB, i.e. 14.5 cents/MB. Strange!]

I preferred the mobile-phone-as-modem over a (USB) modem-stick,
because I only needed to buy the (pre-paid) phone and had phone, modem,
Internet on phone, 'TV' on phone, etc.. I only used the $10 for 100 MB
pack.

These days, this mobile-phone-as-modem use seems nearly absent on the
Telstra site, but the BROWSEPLUS59 pack still says "(ideal for using
your mobile as a modem)", so the use is still available/permitted.

I hope this helps.

[1] "Wireless Broadband" is a rather stupid term, because for most
people that means *WiFi*, i.e. *non*-mobile. 'Your' term "mobile
broadband" is much more sensible.
From: SolomonW on
On 4 Jan 2010 22:00:25 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> I used my (Telstra T6) mobile *phone* as a modem. That way you can use
> the Browse Plus Packs, which are a little more expensive per MB, but
> start at much smaller amounts:

I use three the problem is that in the bush I get charged much more.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Toshiba Laptop L500
Next: Network question