From: bob urz on
stagehand wrote:
> Hello. I write on behalf of a small group of volunteers at an art
> centre, Our chief tech is evasive on some issues so i thought we
> would try here. If the questions are too 'not for us' i see from
> other posts you will not hesitate to let us know.....we would not have
> it any other way!
>
> 1: Why not sit stage monitors on spikes or similar to isolate them
> from the stage. We do use a pre-set that rolls of the bass when
> appropriate.

Don't know about spikes, but i have frequently seen and used sound
bricks( a piece of 2x4 or such covered with black gaff) to adjust the
angle of the dangle. I have even seen direct boxes used for this.

Other odd named devices:
Audio grenade (NL8 barrel)
audio M80 (NL4 barrel)

bob
From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 25/03/2010 14:02, in article
e5f66ed3-0f7d-4ad7-a178-aeb3d3e0a204(a)g11g2000yqe.googlegroups.com,
"stagehand" <oldtime100(a)o2.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello. I write on behalf of a small group of volunteers at an art
> centre, Our chief tech is evasive on some issues so i thought we
> would try here. If the questions are too 'not for us' i see from
> other posts you will not hesitate to let us know.....we would not have
> it any other way!
>
> 1: Why not sit stage monitors on spikes or similar to isolate them
> from the stage. We do use a pre-set that rolls of the bass when
> appropriate.

Why would you want or need to isolate monitor wedges from the stage? Why
would you want or need to roll of bass? And why and how are you using
"presets" for that purpose?

Seems to me that something odd is going on here.

Personally, I do want my stage monitors to couple with the floor, because I
usually can use the little extra that gives me. If I have have too much of
anything, I can correct that easily with the 31band I have on every monitor
channel. Plus, spikes would prevent me from sliding the wedges across the
floor, making any correction of their position a pain. Not the mention the
potential for injury with sharp pointy stuff on stage.

So overall I would tend to say that spikes are a silly idea.

But: I'm intrigued about this "preset" business, and wonder how exactly you
used these and what piece of equipment they originate on.

> 2: What things can xlr y-spilts be safely used for?

Line and mic level signals would be my first answer. But you use the word
"safe" here, what are you trying to get at? Rule of thumb: if you're unsure
if the thing you're about to do might damage something, don't do it.

I'd be a lot easier to answer you if you explained to us what you are trying
to do. We could then just explain to you why that is a harebrained idea.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: Phil Allison on

"GregS"

> Spikes, yikes !!!

** Sounds stupid and very unsafe on stage to have any sharp bits on a
speaker box.

Folk are bound to get injured.

> Spikes are mainly for stabilizing giving good coupling to the floor.
> Some poorly constructed boxes can walk across the floor.
> Rubber is another good thing to use.

** Large rubber feet fixed in each corner should do the trick .

> Good boxes do vibrate that much.

** The corners of any such box do not vibrate.

Think about it....

> If you decoupled the box, the main coupling to the floor is sound waves.

** Floors and stages DO vibrate in sympathy with low frequency energy in the
air - so speaker boxes with hard ( ie metal ) corners can easily travel
across smooth floors under such high vibration.

..... Phil

From: stagehand on
On Mar 26, 12:47 am, "Phil Allison" <phi...(a)tpg.com.au> wrote:
> "GregS"
>

> > Spikes, yikes !!!
>
> ** Sounds stupid and very unsafe on stage to have any sharp bits on a
> speaker box.
>
>    Folk are bound to get injured.
>
> > Spikes are mainly for stabilizing giving good coupling to the floor.
> > Some poorly constructed boxes can walk across the floor.
> > Rubber is another good thing to use.
>
> ** Large rubber feet fixed in each corner should do the trick .
>
> > Good boxes do vibrate that much.
>
> ** The corners of any such box do not vibrate.
>
>     Think about it....
>
> > If you decoupled the box, the main coupling to the floor is sound waves..
>
> ** Floors and stages DO vibrate in sympathy with low frequency energy in the
> air  - so speaker boxes with hard ( ie metal ) corners can easily travel
> across smooth floors under such high vibration.
>
> ....  Phil

The question was designed for enlightened responses, so thank you all
for that. We assumed the isolation/reduction of unwanted vibration,
resonance etc on the stage, would help towards a cleaner sound on
stage. Spikes, as sharp things, of course are not the thing, but i
wanted to see responses to the sound coupling notions explored (and to
understand why hi-fi uses spikes etc anyhow!!) Also for those
vibrations running up mic stands for example. We wanted to get
monitor sound focused. Ours are long throw wedges so we anyway have
to sometimes prop them up on our shallow stage (the boxes double as
FOH or wedges). We use XTA DP226 controllers (& Lab Gruppen amps),
with a number of manufacturers pre-sets. The monitor x-over pre-set
is 2 way with a significant Bass roll off. (for our drum wedge we use
a top box + 15"sub similar to our smaller FOH set up....(here we want
the oomph factor). We also have BSS graphics on all sends (stage/FOH)
in conjunction with the desk parametric (x2 yamaha o1v's).

this has been helpful, and we are grateful. cheers
From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"stagehand" <oldtime100(a)o2.co.uk> wrote in message
On Mar 26, 12:47 am, "Phil Allison" <phi...(a)tpg.com.au> wrote:
> "GregS"
>

> > Spikes, yikes !!!
>
> ** Sounds stupid and very unsafe on stage to have any sharp bits on a
> speaker box.
>
> Folk are bound to get injured.
>
> > Spikes are mainly for stabilizing giving good coupling to the floor.
> > Some poorly constructed boxes can walk across the floor.
> > Rubber is another good thing to use.
>
> ** Large rubber feet fixed in each corner should do the trick .
>
> > Good boxes do vibrate that much.
>
> ** The corners of any such box do not vibrate.
>
> Think about it....
>
> > If you decoupled the box, the main coupling to the floor is sound waves.
>
> ** Floors and stages DO vibrate in sympathy with low frequency energy in
> the
> air - so speaker boxes with hard ( ie metal ) corners can easily travel
> across smooth floors under such high vibration.
>
> .... Phil

The question was designed for enlightened responses, so thank you all
for that. We assumed the isolation/reduction of unwanted vibration,
resonance etc on the stage, would help towards a cleaner sound on
stage. Spikes, as sharp things, of course are not the thing, but i
wanted to see responses to the sound coupling notions explored (and to
understand why hi-fi uses spikes etc anyhow!!) Also for those
vibrations running up mic stands for example.

I fill some mic stands with lead shot or fishing sinkers, it works two ways,
it dampens the vibrations and makes the stands more stable
George

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Employee Newsletter