From: Ron on
On 26/03/2010 12:43, George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
> "stagehand"<oldtime100(a)o2.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Mar 26, 12:47 am, "Phil Allison"<phi...(a)tpg.com.au> wrote:
>> "GregS"
>>

>>> Spikes, yikes !!!
>>
>> ** Sounds stupid and very unsafe on stage to have any sharp bits on a
>> speaker box.
>>
>> Folk are bound to get injured.
>>
>>> Spikes are mainly for stabilizing giving good coupling to the floor.
>>> Some poorly constructed boxes can walk across the floor.
>>> Rubber is another good thing to use.
>>
>> ** Large rubber feet fixed in each corner should do the trick .
>>
>>> Good boxes do vibrate that much.
>>
>> ** The corners of any such box do not vibrate.
>>
>> Think about it....
>>
>>> If you decoupled the box, the main coupling to the floor is sound waves.
>>
>> ** Floors and stages DO vibrate in sympathy with low frequency energy in
>> the
>> air - so speaker boxes with hard ( ie metal ) corners can easily travel
>> across smooth floors under such high vibration.
>>
>> .... Phil
>
> The question was designed for enlightened responses, so thank you all
> for that. We assumed the isolation/reduction of unwanted vibration,
> resonance etc on the stage, would help towards a cleaner sound on
> stage. Spikes, as sharp things, of course are not the thing, but i
> wanted to see responses to the sound coupling notions explored (and to
> understand why hi-fi uses spikes etc anyhow!!) Also for those
> vibrations running up mic stands for example.
>
> I fill some mic stands with lead shot or fishing sinkers, it works two ways,
> it dampens the vibrations and makes the stands more stable
> George

On noisy hollow stages, I put industrial floor polisher disks under
round base stands to prevent them picking up footfall. They are
inexpensive and stiff enough to stop the stand wobbling around whilst
still absorbing noise.

Ron
From: Arny Krueger on
"Ron" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message

> On 26/03/2010 12:43, George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
>> I fill some mic stands with lead shot or fishing
>> sinkers, it works two ways, it dampens the vibrations
>> and makes the stands more stable

I use 5 or 10 pound barbell weights. I like the low center of gravity. The
hole for the stand is pre-drilled. ;-)

> On noisy hollow stages, I put industrial floor polisher
> disks under round base stands to prevent them picking up
> footfall. They are inexpensive and stiff enough to stop
> the stand wobbling around whilst still absorbing noise.

Interesting idea.

I use standard mic shock mounts to cure footfall sensitivity.

From: Tim Perry on

> Hello. I write on behalf of a small group of volunteers at an art
> centre, Our chief tech is evasive on some issues so i thought we
> would try here. If the questions are too 'not for us' i see from
> other posts you will not hesitate to let us know.....we would not have
> it any other way!
>
> 1: Why not sit stage monitors on spikes or similar to isolate them
> from the stage.

Anything that might damage the floor of a venue is (as a doctor might say)
contraindicated.
Adding anything to a premade speaker would violate warranty, reduce resale
value, detract appearance, probably reduce functionality, and worst of all
would get you laughed at.

> We do use a pre-set that rolls of the bass when
> appropriate.
>
> 2: What things can xlr y-spilts be safely used for?

Split to a monitor or recording console, paralleling amp inputs, etc.
I have a couple for when I have multiple drum kits that "Y" 2 tom mics into
one input.

From: Leon on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 08:43:29 -0400, "George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I fill some mic stands with lead shot or fishing sinkers, it works two ways,
>it dampens the vibrations and makes the stands more stable
>George

I had a weird problem once, every now and then there was a "quack" noise coming
from the vocalists mic... very weird and annoying...

Didn't take me long to track it down - when you touched the mic firmly, you got
the "quack"... it was the bottom of the internal telescoping rod contacting the
external stand pipe... something or other was bent I guess and the rod wasn't
centered... it was acting like the clapper inside a bell!

So I wadded a large ball of tape on the end of the rod, allowing it to move up
and down, but not move sideways and make a noise.

That was an old 50s style stand, with a 25lb bottom disk.

From: bob urz on
Tim Perry wrote:

> Anything that might damage the floor of a venue is (as a doctor might
> say) contraindicated.

Well, the venue i was working at had little holes on the stage
from cellos and such putting down there "spikes"...

When Broadway comes to our real theater, we frequently lag speaker
towers to the stage. We even cut a booby hatch once in the floor (that
surprised me)

bob

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4