From: mm on
On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 15:12:06 -0400, "Jack B"
<jslimp01nospam(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>>Do you have the ability to check the processor temperature?<
>Do you mean does the pc have the capability? I don't know; is there a way
>to find out?

Good question. I have an Asus mobo and use AsusProbe2, which I might
have gotten off the Asus mobo CD, but which I also see on the web for
download. Will it work with any mobo, some mobos, or only Asus mobos?
At any rate, there is no harm in finding it and trying it. The
regular install didn't put it in the startup folder so you'll have to
do that yourself.

It also shows the temperatures in the BIOS screens, and I don't think
that requires any added software, but one can't spent his whoe life in
the bios.

IME, overheating the CPU would cause the computer to freeze, or slow
down, and when I pressed the hardware restart button, it wouldn't even
get past the memory check. I'm sure there are reasons yours could
work much differently, but I don't think anyone has said yet that
overheating is an esppecially likely reason for your problem.

>>On some freezing cases, you may find that the computer is not actually
>>frozen.<
>Well, one freeze I got was different than the rest -- it was running fine
>when I left to do other things, but when I came back to the pc the screen
>was black, and as usual there was no response. Using another pc on the LAN,
>I tried to find the share folder on this pc, but that pc could not read this
>frozen one.

>So far today, the pc has not failed -- knock on wood.

I had a wooden computer once. It ran on steam, so it was hard to deal
with in the summer time.

--
Posters should say what U,S. state they live in. Why do
so many keep their state as secret as their own name?
From: glee on
"Jack B" <jslimp01nospam(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I thought I licked my pc crash problem, but apparently not.
>
> The pc locks up and I need to give it a hard shut down.
>
> But if I move the mouse afterwards, the pc powers on just as if I
> pushed the
> power on button! Does this give anyone a clue as to what the problem
> is?

Not enough info about the crashing...I'll look at your later replies to
see if you supply any useful info....but as far as the "start up with
mouse" symptom, on some newer systems there is a BIOS Setup option (it
would be in the Power Management section of the BIOS, IIRC) to start the
computer when you move the mouse. Check your BIOS settings if you want
to change it.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: Jack B on
Update.

Using Malwarebytes, 3 malicious items were found and deleted:
Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify
(Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted
successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify
(Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted
successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify
(Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted
successfully.

That was using a Quick Scan.

Jack

From: Paul on
mm wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 15:12:06 -0400, "Jack B"
> <jslimp01nospam(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>> Do you have the ability to check the processor temperature?<
>> Do you mean does the pc have the capability? I don't know; is there a way
>> to find out?
>
> Good question. I have an Asus mobo and use AsusProbe2, which I might
> have gotten off the Asus mobo CD, but which I also see on the web for
> download. Will it work with any mobo, some mobos, or only Asus mobos?
> At any rate, there is no harm in finding it and trying it. The
> regular install didn't put it in the startup folder so you'll have to
> do that yourself.
>
> It also shows the temperatures in the BIOS screens, and I don't think
> that requires any added software, but one can't spent his whoe life in
> the bios.
>
> IME, overheating the CPU would cause the computer to freeze, or slow
> down, and when I pressed the hardware restart button, it wouldn't even
> get past the memory check. I'm sure there are reasons yours could
> work much differently, but I don't think anyone has said yet that
> overheating is an esppecially likely reason for your problem.
>>> On some freezing cases, you may find that the computer is not actually
>>> frozen.<
>> Well, one freeze I got was different than the rest -- it was running fine
>> when I left to do other things, but when I came back to the pc the screen
>> was black, and as usual there was no response. Using another pc on the LAN,
>> I tried to find the share folder on this pc, but that pc could not read this
>> frozen one.
>
>> So far today, the pc has not failed -- knock on wood.
>
> I had a wooden computer once. It ran on steam, so it was hard to deal
> with in the summer time.
>
>> Jack

We know a few things about his computer. It has an Athlon processor,
socket 462 (based on his 1466MHz core frequency).

K7 CPUs.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/index.html

*******
XP Model 8 (Thoroughbred CPU ID 0680)

1467 (1700+) OPGA 133 256 11x 1.60V 90oC 55.7W

Model 8 (Thoroughbred CPU ID 0680)

1467 (1700+) OPGA 133 256 11x 1.50V 90oC 44.9W

Model 6 (Palomino)

1467 (1700+) OPGA 133 256 11x 1.75V 90oC 57.4W
*******

Based on the Family code 662, it is the last one, a Palomino 1700+.
(Click the CPU ID tab on this page, to see the "662" value.)

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon%20XP%201700%2B%20-%20AX1700DMT3C.html

Some of the earliest S462 motherboards, didn't have overtemperature
protection that was guaranteed to work. That would be things of the VIA
"KT133" vintage. So you'd want to be careful, to occasionally
check how hot the CPU is running. Especially if getting a freezing
symptom.

The S462 processors have a bare silicon die on top, and you have to be
careful when cleaning and reapplying thermal paste to the silicon die.
Some processors have four rubber "bumps" pasted to the top of the CPU
packaging, and the rubber bumps help prevent the heatsink from being
mounted on an angle. That prevents cracking the edges off the bare
silicon die. Another technique used, is a "shim" which surrounds the
die and does the same kind of thing.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/amd/ss/AMD_app_method_surface_spread_v1.1.pdf

In some cases, it can be mechanically difficult to disassemble the thing,
and the heatsink can get "welded" to the die. And since there is no
metal heatspreader cover on the processor, you can't apply too much
force to it. The recommended removal method, is to run the computer
(to warm up the CPU first), turn off the computer and immediately attempt
to remove the heatsink while it is still warm.

When you get the thing apart, sometimes the CPU silicon die is discolored
and looks "cooked". Don't let that bother you, and just keep using it,
until it croaks :-)

If that was my Athlon, I'd already have it apart by now, and reapply the
paste. But we'll let Jack take a few measurements first, to see what
shape he's in. If his processor is cool (below 65C or 149F), there is
no reason to panic. And Speedfan should be able to find some sensor
on there. Even if a motherboard doesn't have overtemperature protection,
it is still likely to have a socket temperature readout. The sensing
methods are either a thermistor under the socket, or on the later processors,
the thermal diode inside the silicon die itself. The latter gives a higher
reading, as it is right where the heat is generated. With the thermistor,
programs like Asus Probe, would "pad" the numbers to approximate the
correct values. Sometimes an offset is required, to give realistic
sounding values for a thermistor. The BIOS could have padding applied
to its values as well, so it should give a realistic value (in the
Hardware Monitor BIOS section).

I have a (retired) AthlonXP here, but never had any trouble keeping
it cool. I may have applied paste to it once, during initial installation,
and reapplied paste half way through its life. When you apply paste,
you take temperature readings once the system is running again.
If it read out as 43C say, you'd wait until some years later,
under *identical* test conditions it was hitting 53C. Then, take
it apart and apply the thermal paste to it again. (Identical test
conditions, includes the tiny details about room temperature. If
it is a hot summer day, naturally the temperature reading will be
offset by the rise in room temp. So you'd take that into consideration
as well. If your room is 10C hotter in summer, the threshold would
be a 20C shift.)

Paul
From: Terry R. on
On 4/10/2010 9:36 PM On a whim, Jack B pounded out on the keyboard

> Update.
>
> Using Malwarebytes, 3 malicious items were found and deleted:
> Registry Data Items Infected:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify
> (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted
> successfully.
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify
> (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted
> successfully.
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify
> (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted
> successfully.
>

> That was using a Quick Scan.
>
> Jack

Hi Jack,

Those were most likely choices that you selected and Malwarebytes thinks
it might be malware that changed the settings.

I would also remove any external devices when t-shooting this issue. I
had a workstation that randomly froze that took over a year to figure
out. I finally found out it was a USB modem plugged into a USB hub that
caused the freezing. It was the last thing I would have thought to have
caused this type is issue. Plugging the modem into a port off the MB
and not the hub resolved it.

Terry R.