From: Jose on
On Apr 11, 12:36 am, "Jack B" <jslimp01nos...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
> Update.
>
> Using Malwarebytes, 3 malicious items were found and deleted:
> Registry Data Items Infected:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify
> (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted
> successfully.
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify
> (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted
> successfully.
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify
> (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted
> successfully.
>
> That was using a Quick Scan.
>
> Jack

That has nothing to do with the problem you stated.

MBAM is telling you that the default Windows Security Center Alert
Settings (of which there are 3) have been disabled.

The XP default settings for Firewall, Automatic Updates, Virus
Protection is enabled. Something (usually a human) has unchecked the
boxes so that you will not receive the information messages designed
to help you.

Example: Some folks don't like to have Automatic Updates enabled so
they turn AU off. XP will remind you constantly that AU has been
disabled with a pop up message. This is annoying. Disabling the
Security Center Alert Settings in XP stops the reminder message.
MBAM see this potentially undesirable situation and presents them to
you in a scan as an infected item and give you a chance to fix it. If
you let MBAM fix it, it will enable the warnings again.

MBAM does not know and can't tell if you turned the alerts off or some
malicious software has been messing around with your settings, but it
is potentially very risky. MBAM shows you and asks what you want to
do about it even offering to fix them for you. The information is in
the registry as you can see. If you are sure you don't want those
features, you can also tell MBAM to ignore/accept those things and not
consider them a threat on future scans. Nothing will really be
"quarantined and deleted". MBAM will fix your settings if you allow
it.

I have never seen malicious software disable those settings (it is
always from the hand of a human being), but I suppose it is possible
and you should be glad that MBAM notices this and tells you about
it.

Perhaps someday the MBAM message could be changed somehow to make more
sense since it is really not an infected item - it is a configuration
change, but it is telling you exactly what it finds and allowing you
to fix it if you want. MBAM is doing it's job.

It looks like you might be getting off in the weeds a bit with your
original problem and are not getting closer to resolving your issue.

From: glee on
"Jose" <jose_ease(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Apr 11, 12:36 am, "Jack B" <jslimp01nos...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Update.
>>
>> Using Malwarebytes, 3 malicious items were found and deleted:
>> Registry Data Items Infected:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
>> Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify
>> (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and
>> deleted
>> successfully.
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
>> Center\FirewallDisableNotify
>> (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and
>> deleted
>> successfully.
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
>> Center\UpdatesDisableNotify
>> (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and
>> deleted
>> successfully.
>>
>> That was using a Quick Scan.
>>
>> Jack
>
> snip
>I have never seen malicious software disable those settings (it is
>always from the hand of a human being), but I suppose it is possible
>and you should be glad that MBAM notices this and tells you about
>it.
> snip

Really?! You've never seen it? There is quite a lot of malware that
disables exactly those settings, and that is why MBAM reports it. Those
are settings that much malware (mostly trojans) go after fairly quickly,
to help prevent being detected and to allow easier access for itself and
its "friends" that trojan downloaders bring in. I clean a LOT of
infected systems, and MBAM is among my first line tools....and those
settings changes are found in many of the logs. They are all systems
where the user did not change any of the mentioned settings....it was
done by the malware.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: glee on
"Jack B" <jslimp01nospam(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I thought I licked my pc crash problem, but apparently not.
>
> The pc locks up and I need to give it a hard shut down.
>
> But if I move the mouse afterwards, the pc powers on just as if I
> pushed the
> power on button! Does this give anyone a clue as to what the problem
> is?

I've read your other posts in this thread and there is not enough info
to make more than guesses. Everyone thinks it is overheating....I
don't....but again, guessing.

Download System Information for Windows (SIW)
http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html
Get the "SIW standalone" download and you don't have to install
it....just download to your desktop or other folder, and run it:
http://www.gtopala.com/download/siw.exe

Expand "Hardware" in the left pane, and select "Sensors". It will show
all the temps and voltages available through the sensors on your system
for the CPU and the hard drives, and also shows the CPU fan speed.
Post back with the temps shown...leave it running a while and see if the
temps fluctuate much.

Do you get the freeze in Safe Mode?
Do you get the freeze if you disconnect all peripherals (printer,
scanner, external drives)?
Do you get the freeze if you do a clean boot (stay off-line during a
clean boot as your AV will not be running)?

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

From: Jack B on
Ok, I'll try System Information for Windows shortly.

BTW, the pc froze after booting up today, so it wasn't on very long at
all -- booted up, accepted my user mode, then froze.

Jack

From: Jack B on
Ok, I tried to run System Information for Windows, but I get a pop up that
says siw.exe is not a valid Win32 application.