From: mm on
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 14:42:30 -0400, "Jack B"
<jslimp01nospam(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>Download System Information for Windows (SIW)
>http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html
>Get the "SIW standalone" download and you don't have to install
>it....just download to your desktop or other folder, and run it:
>http://www.gtopala.com/download/siw.exe

Tbanks. This is cool,

>Expand "Hardware" in the left pane, and select "Sensors". It will show
>all the temps and voltages available through the sensors on your system
>for the CPU and the hard drives, and also shows the CPU fan speed.
>Post back with the temps shown...leave it running a while and see if the
>temps fluctuate much.

This too. Well, it seems to have caused erratic readings in my Asus
Probe2. The indicated CPU fan speed went 3 times as high as it was
supposed to be,

One temp reading went to freezing (which of course can't happen in an
instate)

And the voltages went almost to zero, and others went twice as high as
normal, it seems while they were being meausred by SIW.

I guess this didn't really change values, but it's scarey to get all
these bad reading. They make the Assus probe screen jump to the
front, also.

--
Posters should say what U,S. state they live in. Why do
so many keep their state as secret as their own name?
From: glee on
"Jose" <jose_ease(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> snip
>Make the registry adjustment (1 minute)
>Reboot (2 minutes)
>Wait for it to lock up
>Press Ctrl+Scroll Lock-Scroll Lock to force a memory dump - or two
>dumps, or three dumps (30 seconds)
>Email me the latest memory dumps from c:\windows\minidump for
>analysis. (3 minutes)
>
>I am always set up to analyze memory dumps.

Note that this procedure you described supposedly only works with a PS/2
keyboard in WinXP (USB keyboard only in Win7 and some Windows Server
versions).

Additionally, it may be of little or no use as, while the dump will show
all the drivers and modules loaded at the specific time, it will
generally give no indication of which is involved in the freeze, so you
gain no more insight into the freeze than if it were done when the
computer was *not* freezing. An analysis of the dump after being user
initiated like this will give a Bug Check 0x2E: MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH
and show what was loaded/running at the time. <shrug>

It might be helpful only if a new process starts that causes the freeze,
and you recognize the process in the dump as one that was not running
just prior to the freeze....but you have to know what processes where
running before the freeze to be useful.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: Jose on
On Apr 14, 8:50 am, "glee" <gle...(a)spamindspring.com> wrote:
> "Jose" <jose_e...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > snip
> >Make the registry adjustment (1 minute)
> >Reboot (2 minutes)
> >Wait for it to lock up
> >Press Ctrl+Scroll Lock-Scroll Lock to force a memory dump - or two
> >dumps, or three dumps (30 seconds)
> >Email me the latest memory dumps from c:\windows\minidump for
> >analysis.  (3 minutes)
>
> >I am always set up to analyze memory dumps.
>
> Note that this procedure you described supposedly only works with a PS/2
> keyboard in WinXP (USB keyboard only in Win7 and some Windows Server
> versions).
>
> Additionally, it may be of little or no use as, while the dump will show
> all the drivers and modules loaded at the specific time, it will
> generally give no indication of which is involved in the freeze, so you
> gain no more insight into the freeze than if it were done when the
> computer was *not* freezing.  An analysis of the dump after being user
> initiated like this will give a Bug Check 0x2E: MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH
> and show what was loaded/running at the time. <shrug>
>
> It might be helpful only if a new process starts that causes the freeze,
> and you recognize the process in the dump as one that was not running
> just prior to the freeze....but you have to know what processes where
> running before the freeze to be useful.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP  Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
> A+http://dts-l.net/

Note that I have a XP Pro SP3 with USB mouse plugged in right now and
it works just fine.

Note that I can switch to a PS/2 mouse and it still works just fine.

Note that you should try it yourself and see how it works instead of
supposing.

Note that I know it will show a MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH as the cause
because that is indeed the cause:

MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH (e2) <- not 2E
The user manually initiated this crash dump.

Note that the cause of the crash will always be MANUALLY_INITIATED (in
this case) because that is indeed the cause.

Note that we are not looking for the cause of the crash and the system
is not crashing, it is hanging.

Note that we are not trying to determine the cause of the crash, we
are trying to get a memory dump when the system is hung.

Note that in this situation the other information from the dump is the
most useful information, not the cause of the crash.

Note that there is more useful information in a dump besides the
cause.

From: glee on
replied inline....
>On Apr 14, 8:50 am, "glee" <gle...(a)spamindspring.com> wrote:
>> "Jose" <jose_e...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > snip
>> >Make the registry adjustment (1 minute)
>> >Reboot (2 minutes)
>> >Wait for it to lock up
>> >Press Ctrl+Scroll Lock-Scroll Lock to force a memory dump - or two
>> >dumps, or three dumps (30 seconds)
>> >Email me the latest memory dumps from c:\windows\minidump for
>> >analysis. (3 minutes)
>>
>> >I am always set up to analyze memory dumps.
>>
>> Note that this procedure you described supposedly only works with a
>> PS/2
>> keyboard in WinXP (USB keyboard only in Win7 and some Windows Server
>> versions).
>>
>> Additionally, it may be of little or no use as, while the dump will
>> show
>> all the drivers and modules loaded at the specific time, it will
>> generally give no indication of which is involved in the freeze, so
>> you
>> gain no more insight into the freeze than if it were done when the
>> computer was *not* freezing. An analysis of the dump after being user
>> initiated like this will give a Bug Check 0x2E:
>> MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH
>> and show what was loaded/running at the time. <shrug>
>>
>> It might be helpful only if a new process starts that causes the
>> freeze,
>> and you recognize the process in the dump as one that was not running
>> just prior to the freeze....but you have to know what processes where
>> running before the freeze to be useful.
>

>Note that I have a XP Pro SP3 with USB mouse plugged in right now and
>it works just fine.
>
>Note that I can switch to a PS/2 mouse and it still works just fine.
>
>Note that you should try it yourself and see how it works instead of
>supposing.

Good to know....the MS info is (again) not quite accurate.
No time right now to try it, hence the "supposedly" based on what the MS
articles state.

>Note that I know it will show a MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH as the cause
>because that is indeed the cause:
>
> <snip of repetitious re-stating>
>
>Note that in this situation the other information from the dump is the
>most useful information, not the cause of the crash.
>
>Note that there is more useful information in a dump besides the
>cause.

I'm well aware of that, but as I stated in my post, all it will tel you
is what was loaded at the time, which in this case will most likely be
exactly the same things that were loaded when it was NOT freezing, so
exactly what other info do you expect to see? I'm asking seriously, not
to get a condescending or defensive reply.

Certainly, it is worth trying if the results are also compared with a
dump from when the system is NOT freezing, but you did not indicate that
the OP send a pre-freeze dump, so again, what do you expect it to tell
you?

From: Jack B on
Jose,

Thanks for all your insight/help. I'm a little worried about screwing
something up while in the middle of this project, especially since the issue
appears to be the capacitors on the MOBO which is basically no short term
fix if at all. The Registry makes me uneasy right now. Nonetheless, after
I get some breathing room, I would like to try your recommendations and take
you up on your offer if I could get hold you at that time.

Thanks again,
Jack

"Jose" <jose_ease(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Apr 13, 7:03 pm, "Jack B" <jslimp01nos...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

If it is still locking up sometimes, why don't you try to figure that
out with the method I told you about before?

It will take less time than figuring out which heat sensor is right
for you, realizing that TEMPIN2 of 81 is not your CPU, taking pictures
of your motherboard, reading about learning how to recap a mohterboard
(although that is all very interesting) - you would have been done by
now and we would perhaps know something for sure instead of wondering/
guessing day after day about what it might be.